Spanish 101 and Med Cruise Review

Hey guys!

I just got back from a cruise in the Med and I was surprised to see so many Americans over there didn't know any Spanish at all. Of course I took 4 years of it in high school, but I forgot that some of the older generations didn't have foreign language requirements like we did. And they are a few more years removed from it!! hehehe

So here is my Spanish 101 for all you traveling over there. A few simple words can go a long way. The Spanish word or words are first then the pronunciation and then the English translation. Please feel free to ask for more. I also would highly recommend picking up Rick Steve's language books. They are small and cover quite a lot. I learned how to swear in Italian and gave our bus driver and tour guide a good laugh!

If you see a capital letter in the pronunciation below that means to say the letter. Remember to drop the jaw when you say the words. They don't speak thru their noses like we do, the sounds are rounded, not harsh. Double L's are pronounced like a Y.

Spanish

Hola – Oh La – Hello

Gracias- Grah See Ah Ss – Thank you

De nada- Day Nah Dah – You are welcome

Lo siento – Low See N Toe – I am sorry

Por favor – Pore Fah Vore (vore rhymes with pore) - please

Quanto?- Kwan Toe – How much?

Aqui? - Ah Key- here? (can be used to ask taxi driver if you should get out now.)

Me llamo_____ – May Yah Mow – My name is______

Donde esta______? – Dohn Day Es Tah - Where is_____? (insert place here, toliets, La Sagrada Familia, Hard Rock Cafe, etc)

Ayudeme- Ah You Day May- help me! (best to say por favor with this)

No hablo espanol – No Ahh Blow Ess Pan Yol – I don’t speak Spanish.

Bien, bueno- Bee N, Bwan O- good

Mal- Mahl- bad

Banco- Bank

Mercado/super Mercado- grocery store

Museo – Museum

Norte- north

Sur- south

Dinero- money

Bathroom/restrooms in Spain, Italy and France are called toilets.

If a beggar comes up to you asking for money, simply saying no will not make them go away. You must speak their language.

In Spain say No dinero – No Dee Narrow – translates to no money

In Italy say No dinero – No Day Narrow

No tengo dinero – No Tango Dee Narrow - I have no money (Spanish only)

Hope that helps! Also I did write a review of our cruise on the NCL Gem and included lots of pictures and my thoughts on our tours. Feel free to check it out here.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=850696

Hope this helps!!:D

What a fantastic honeymoon! You have really documented your adventures well. Very enjoyable and informative write-up. Thank you for sharing it with us all. Sending you the best of wishes for a great life together with many more adventures to come! :)

Archived