New to NCL - Dawn vs. Spirit

tlk93

Good Evening .... my family and I are not new to cruising but will be new to NCL. We are looking at sailing either the Dawn or Spirit but would like some experienced feedback before making a decision. We really would like information with regards to which ship the kids would enjoy most. We have 2 boys (11 yrs & 14 yrs) and 2 girls (5 yrs & 16 yrs). My oldest daughter will be bringing her best friend and my 17 yr old niece will be with us as well. I have read the reviews for both but would like to hear of your personal experiences if you also have kids in this age range that you took on either ship. Thanks so much in advance and I look forward to all your responses.

Tisha:D

I, myself, by far prefer the Dawn. She is a bigger ship and I find her layout to be better than that of the Spirit. Her basketball cout is bigger and better located than the Spirit. The Dawn also has a movie theatre (and self serve laundromat's).

Depending on when you go (school in or out) will depend allot on how much there is to do for kids, especially teen's. Last year we sailed the Spirit first week of June and there were very few teen's on board. Luckily my kids are pretty easy going and didn't need allot of entertaining so they were okay with only 2 or 3 kids in the teen center (we are country folks and they are used to not being around allot of kids ). if your kids are used to a faster pace and you go that time of the day they may get bored, I have heard of allot of people with bored teens on the Spirit.

The pool is very small on the Spirit too, and gets very congested, I found the Dawn's pool bigger and there was more room for people (of course you still get the chair hogs!).

We are planning to go on the Dawn next year, mu husbnad and I are going on Carnival to do a 12 day Med Cruise (no kids yeah!!!!!). In 2010 we are planning to go on the Oasis - yikes - will my kids then forever be spoiled!!!

I will admit I have never been on the Dawn, but my family went on the Spirit with ages 2,4,6,10 and the kids loved the ship. The kids pool is great and has plenty of room in sun or shade for parents. Plus the kids pool is completely open on the back of the boat so you have a great view. Food was great, and the kids had plenty of activities. Didn't have any teens, but the ones we saw and talked to seemed to be having a blast.

Personally I love the smaller ship, although its not too small, and the decor is very comfy feeling. If you go to the family thread there are tons of people there that can compare both from experience. Either ship will be great and you will find that freestyle dining is perfect for families. I wasn't sure how my family would take to it since we have only ever been traditional, but even my 73 year old father thought it was nice with the age of the kids.

Archived