Remedies for Sea Sickness

MP&MP

I know the crew will always suggest an apple, but I can't remember what variety. It was yellow or green. :confused:

My brother-in-law worked many years for Cunard and he always says

to eat unpeeled slices of green apple for seasickness.

Myself, the one time I was seasick (very rough Mediterranean) a fellow

passenger who was a doctor suggested Sturgeron. I was able to get it

from the Purser. The first dose knocked me out

(it was evening anyway lol) but I was totally fine

when I awoke a little later in the evening.

I'm not sure if it's even available in the US or if it's OTC.

I only took the one dose so Im not even

sure of the effects of every day use. So, then actually, don't

listen to me lolololololol...

I take one 25 mg Meclazine tablet night before the cruise and every night of the cruise at bedtime; hasn't failed me yet. Each pill seems to last 24 hours so I have no food or drink restrictions. A 100 tab bottle costs about $9-10. I would be hopelessly seasick without this stuff.

I take one 25 mg Meclazine tablet night before the cruise and every night of the cruise at bedtime; hasn't failed me yet.

I second this - Bonine (mezclazine) but also I think the night before you leave is key. When you can take it just before bed every nite, if it makes you drowsy you'll never know. :) No side effects that I have ever noticed.

I don't get seasick sailing but as someone above mentioned I have been known to get queasy on dive boats when there are some seas ..... and they always tell you to take something the night before, before the motion starts.

• 5 weeks later...

Many years ago on a HAL cruise I seem to recall that they had a basket full of seasick pills placed at the bottom of the staircase for anyone who needed them to take. Are these available on NCL, or do you need to supply your own?

We swear by Bonine. Both myself and my daughter get seasick. I use the adult bonine and she uses the Bonine, Jr. On our last cruise, there were 12-15 ft. waves for two days and neither of us were sick. It doesn't cause drowsiness either and is just one small, chewable pill a day.

I also like bonine. Did you take a pill everyday on the ship? I can't remember if I did on the last cruise I took.

The sweetest crew member on NCL Gem brought us green apples and crackers and told us that was what the crew used. She stated that the apples needed to be green. I usually take dramamine just in case for the first few days, but this cruise was very, very rough for 2 days and we were feeling the motion quite a bit.

I do have a question regarding the ship motion. I do not normally get any kind of motion sickness, but one day we ate breakfast at the very back of the ship and were watching the wake (which was beautiful). The seas were very calm. After about 20 minutes, I suddenly felt very ill. It took about 2 hours and a few ginger ales (didn't know about the apples then) before I felt better. Question: Was it being in the back of the ship (aft) the reason I felt sick? Any opinions?? I would appreciate your thoughts.

Hello Brit23

That is exactly the same way the seasickness got to me. We had breakfast at the aft dining room on the NCL Spirit in May 06 and as soon as I got up and felt the turbulance of the ship on it's way home from Bermuda to NY. I hit the cabin and had to lie down, after a while I decided to take the Bonine. I fell sound to sleep for about an hour and a half, woke and felt refreshed and ready for lunch. It really did the trick. On my first cruise I used the RX patch behind the ear and it made me feel dry mouth and woozie. On our last cruise from NY to Caribbean I used the ginger capsules and felt no upset at all. I just took them occasionallly during the day and it was great. I hope you have a great time. Even seasickness would not stop us from cruising. It is a wonderful escape and such an easy way to vacation.

Ann and Bernie from Boston

MaryBeth swears by the "Relief Band". Its not the plastic thing that makes you forget by pushing something to your wrist so painful that you have to forget. Its worn like a wristwatch and emits an electric pulse on the bottom of your wrist. It also works for airsickness.

Only time it didn't work was when we went through a tropical storm to get back to port and 1/3 the crew was seasick as well.

Now my solution is more simple. I drink enough beer so the ups and downs of the ship seem natural ;).

Bonine and ginger pills have been effective in the past, but I still feel a little "off" - not sick but not myself. I am trying the relief band on our Thanksgiving cruise because you can supposedly put it on at any time. I'm hoping it works. My husband is former Navy and has been queasy only once - when seas were so bad in Alaska that we couldn't get to Skagway and we had spray crashing over our 10th deck balcony for about 18 hours. Just about everyone was sick as we were rocking and rolling and the ship was creaking all night long. Our cabin was very close to the radio room and everytime we saw the captain in the hallway for the next 4 days he was apologetic. Not sure how he could have avoided the problem. So hoping the relief bands work!

Hello again Britt23,

I see you were on the Gem in Feb. How did you like it? Our son and his wife were on it in Feb too. We are sailing on it in March out of NY.

Let me know your view..

Ann

We enjoyed the cruise very much. The day we sailed out in February was very warm (unusual) and everyone was on the outside decks in just t-shirts. We hit some rough seas for quite some time because of a storm in the Atlantic but it was worth it for the beautiful weather we received in the Caribbean! Honestly, we loved the cruise but for me 10 days was a little too long. (I'm sure many readers think I'm crazy!) We missed our daughter very much. Seven days seems to be perfect for us now.

Archived