numbers of postings

mdeane

I don't know of any remedy to this situation, but when the new Cruise Critic Message Board changed its "face", many of you lost hundreds of times you had posted and so did I. (at least way over 100). Now when I post its looks like I have only about 20 or so and I feel like a novice. Plus I joined quite a while ago not just in 2002 as my post states. Not that this matters very much but I have noticed that some of the responses will say "so and so only posted 5 times....". Could they have also lost their numbers??? Just wondering.

I asked the same question and got no solid answer for that. It seems that some people kept all their posts and others did not. I also lost a lot of posts as I was almost to 1,000 when it switched over and it knocked me down to under 200. I was very proud of my posting number as you say most people think "novice" when it is not true and also I was just reading another post that had a comment like "well he only has 25 posts, blah blah blah..." Which is entirely an assumption at this point because he too may have lost a lot.

As you can see at the bottom of my signature, I am also one of those that lost them. Whatever posts you had posted on the old boards, for a very limited time, before the board changed over came with you. I believe I had 300+ when it changed, so they came with me. All the rest are gone for good. Whatever is listed in a persons post, is the number they have posted since the board changed, or the number they have posted since a name change.

I had 3000+ on the old boards, so I was raised to the level above cool cruiser, Blue Ribbon Cruiser. I would have to post on these boards, 5000 to get to the next level. The ones left behind will never count toward advancing to the next level..

While I understand where you are coming from,and all of us lost post,and I agree that the number of posts plays no real significance of the importance or validity of ones post...(wheres a period when I need one)...

When I see someone who registors,and complains or slams in the same day...I usually don't give the poster much credibility.......I think if we do,we are opening this board up to get out of hand....Someone who wants to join the community,and continue to be involved.and a contributor...be it good/bad against RCI...then no,the number of posts means nothing.

Your quote;

To be honest, I rarely pay attention to number of posts. Just because someone has a large number of posts doesn't mean they know a lot or has cruised a lot. It just means they talk a lot. ;)

I can tell you that thousands of my previous postings were because I had been taught by one of those high number posters how to do the original timeclocks and little moving pictures and gifs, and all the other crazy things we used to have in our posts. Everyone wanted to know how to do these things and so we all showed them. There were thousands of postings of people trying to do these fun images. Thousands of mistakes and tests to get them right. They added up on the count whether you wanted them to or not.

It is a shame that people will begin to fear posting a harmless question on these boards. If it doesn't pertain to you, skip it and move on by.

I think it is a shame that someone asks a harmless question on these boards and in this case, someone has to post a sarcastic answer.

There was no mention of any "prestige" that went with the number of postings.

There was no mention of "knowledge" that went with the postings.

By the way, I see you signed up when I did. And, you are 200+ behind me.

200 of mine are from my Roll Call on the old boards and this one. Yes, I agree with you.

Some people just talk too much. :cool:

My issue with the number being wrong is that some posters do in fact take that seriously. I was on a post today where the comment was made that "this is the posters first post and they have their story messed up???" when in fact it is the posters 31st post and there was no need to comment on that just answer the question.

I personally was proud that I was reaching 1,000 posts. I am not looking for prestige or anything, it was just fun for me. Asking the question of where the number count went was harmless let's not make it into something that it is not.

Belle.

Another thing to consider is this.

When the thread you were talking about started,it could have indeed been the posters first post,and when the other person made that comment,it could have still been their first post.If you notice,even on this thread...your post counts on all post change everytime you re-post...so,if I go back to my 1000 post,it would now show 1217 posts...It could just be an older thread...

Personally, I wish they would eliminate the posting number since the numbers got so messed up with the upgrade. They really don't mean anything at all any more. I really never look at the number of postings unless someone asks a really basic question. Then if I see that their number is low, I try to welcome them to the board.

Personally, I wish they would eliminate the posting number since the numbers got so messed up with the upgrade. They really don't mean anything at all any more. I really never look at the number of postings unless someone asks a really basic question. Then if I see that their number is low, I try to welcome them to the board.

:) well said;)

Happy Halloween all!

Your quote;

To be honest, I rarely pay attention to number of posts. Just because someone has a large number of posts doesn't mean they know a lot or has cruised a lot. It just means they talk a lot. ;)

I can tell you that thousands of my previous postings were because I had been taught by one of those high number posters how to do the original timeclocks and little moving pictures and gifs, and all the other crazy things we used to have in our posts. Everyone wanted to know how to do these things and so we all showed them. There were thousands of postings of people trying to do these fun images. Thousands of mistakes and tests to get them right. They added up on the count whether you wanted them to or not.

It is a shame that people will begin to fear posting a harmless question on these boards. If it doesn't pertain to you, skip it and move on by.

I think it is a shame that someone asks a harmless question on these boards and in this case, someone has to post a sarcastic answer.

There was no mention of any "prestige" that went with the number of postings.

There was no mention of "knowledge" that went with the postings.

By the way, I see you signed up when I did. And, you are 200+ behind me.

200 of mine are from my Roll Call on the old boards and this one. Yes, I agree with you.

Some people just talk too much. :cool:

I'm a little confused (but what's new), are you taking quotes from other threads and bringing them over to this one?

If my post was taken as sarcastic then I apologize. It wasn't intended that way. Sometimes it's hard to get emotion over on a flat white page with black lettering, even with emoticoms.

BTW, I've been told many times that I talk to much and was what I intended. I see that my wording was inappropriate to convey that thought. Opps.

That is the truth. There are a couple on the Carnival board that feel they have to post their one liners daily. They really never have anything to say but like to get their number of posts up.

I emailed Laura back when the changes were made and some were making a stink about losing their posts. I asked why they didn't just do away with the number and keep each person join date. I never received a response from her on that question.

To me it does not make a hill of beans how many posts a person has. A high number does not always mean that they have a great knowledge of cruising.

Your quote:

I'm a little confused (but what's new), are you taking quotes from other threads and bringing them over to this one?

No, the only quote I had in my post was yours at the top of the page.

All the rest was my own ranting, in my own words.

You see, I have been known to talk too much also. ;)

Thats funny, the only thing I had posted to this thread is as above.

The line about it being a shame ......... I thought was something I said on another thread. Perhaps I'm wrong? Maybe it was you that said that. ;)

Archived