Book with a TA or direct with Carnival - any financial gurus out there?

perthgirl

We live in Australia and our dollar was amazing 3 months ago (96c to the USD) but recently tanked it to around 74c in the last day or so

I can book direct online with Carnival for our next cruise or through a travel agent. Both mean I pay the appropriate exchange rate- although I'm not sure when they calculate the rate through a TA whereas when I book direct it is based on the rate of the day I pay.

And apart from the dollar difference is there any benefit in booking direct eg better chance of an upgrade (I know they are rare but one can also hope) if book a guarantee room?

We live in Australia and our dollar was amazing 3 months ago (96c to the USD) but recently tanked it to around 74c in the last day or so

I can book direct online with Carnival for our next cruise or through a travel agent. Both mean I pay the appropriate exchange rate- although I'm not sure when they calculate the rate through a TA whereas when I book direct it is based on the rate of the day I pay.

And apart from the dollar difference is there any benefit in booking direct eg better chance of an upgrade (I know they are rare but one can also hope) if book a guarantee room?

With Carnival's price guarantee, it is unlikely that you will find a lower advertised price than on Carnival's site, although some TAs will offer perks like free excursions, or even cash rebates that effectively will give you a lower price than Carnival's. The advantage of dealing directly with Carnival, however, is that you can deal directly with your PVP or CVS. In the event that prices go down, you don't have to go through a third party to get OBC. I was able to get OBC three different times on my last cruise (every time I noticed the price went down). Last cruise was the first time I went with a PVP, and personally I will probably not go back to dealing with a TA.

If you lived in the US, I would say dealing with a US TA would be better. But, I do not know what restrictions might be in place for you. I know that Brits cannot get the deals we get if they're booking from England. If they spend time in the US and book from here they can.

If you do not have restrictions, then a US TA, NO QUESTION. If you compare an excellent TA with an excellent PVP. The TA WILL be superior every single time in every possible circumstance. You need to know what the TA's policies are. Cancellations, price adjustments, billing, etc. Get established with a good TA and they can help with all your cruise needs with any line, maybe all your travel needs. A Carnival PVP is no more than that, a clerk. Maybe a terrific clerk but a one line clerk all the same. Cannot answer a non-Carnival question. Now if you don't want to do due diligence, then let the clerk help you.

Dan

If you lived in the US, I would say dealing with a US TA would be better. But, I do not know what restrictions might be in place for you. I know that Brits cannot get the deals we get if they're booking from England. If they spend time in the US and book from here they can.

If you do not have restrictions, then a US TA, NO QUESTION. If you compare an excellent TA with an excellent PVP. The TA WILL be superior every single time in every possible circumstance. You need to know what the TA's policies are. Cancellations, price adjustments, billing, etc. Get established with a good TA and they can help with all your cruise needs with any line, maybe all your travel needs. A Carnival PVP is no more than that, a clerk. Maybe a terrific clerk but a one line clerk all the same. Cannot answer a non-Carnival question. Now if you don't want to do due diligence, then let the clerk help you.

Dan

Thanks Dan - I guess the problem I have is I don't think the Australian travel agents are experts or have great relationships with Carnival since they don't sail here (although they do have a rep and operate under a different name here) and I don't know good US travel agents! My dad lives in Florida so it may pay off for me to get him to see what he can - just hate hassling him unnecessarily

Archived