Train to Naples

Will be staying in Rome 3 days pre-cruise... Thinking of taking the train to Naples and then having a private excursion to Pompeii,the Amalfi Coast.

Would it be more economical to do it this way.. or have Rome In Limo take us from Rome to Naples and do the excursion that way?

Is a Passport required to get on the trains? What is the drive time from Rome to Naples? I know that the train (the fast one) is only 1 hour and 30 minutes..

How far out can you get the tickets for the train? Also, is there a big difference between 1st and 2nd class if you are going on the Eurostar?

Thanks for all the input..

No idea if it is less expensive to hire the car/driver in Rome or Naples, but to your other questions..

The train will be faster than driving.

No passport neded (Do remember, to validate your ticket in the yellow box at the head of the platform before boarding.)

I won't bother with first class. Slightly larger seats, but 2nd class is fine.

I think you can purchase 60 days in advance, but the Italia rail site does not like non-Italian credit cards, so if you want to get your ticket early, you will need to do it through a 3rd party and they add significant fees. I'd get the ticket (and seat reservation) in Rome. I usually use a travel agent -- almost any TA in Italy can sell you the ticket/reservation-- but you can also get it at any FS (the national rail line) train station.

Archived