Only In Port 4 hours...stay on the ship?

cruzndiz

We are going to be docking in Bonaire from 7am - 11am. By the time we get off the ship, it will probably only leave us about 3 hours before we have to reboard. Is there anything to do right near the port? Anything we absolutely CANNOT miss on our one trip to Bonaire? Or do we just stay on the ship, laying by the pool?

I suggest you book something with your cruise line. You'll get priority debarkation for the tour. Plus the ship will wait for you if you're on a ship excursion that's late getting back to the ship. The ship will NOT wait for you if you're on your own.

Bonaire is too pretty an island to miss by staying on the ship!

you should definitely get off the ship at bonaire!!! if you don't have anything planned and aren't into snorkling or beaching it, there's a market and stores by where you dock.

Plus, you're back on the ship so early you have the whole rest of the day to lay by the pool! :)

you should definitely get off the ship at bonaire!!! if you don't have anything planned and aren't into snorkling or beaching it, there's a market and stores by where you dock.

Plus, you're back on the ship so early you have the whole rest of the day to lay by the pool! :)

You have to get off here. This is the top island in my book. We traveled there on the Princess Crown 2 years ago and would love to return. If you get off the ship over to your right in front of the airport is a beach area with excellent snorkeling. Enjoy, very clean, beautiful island.

• 2 weeks later...

The island is small. For sure get off and get in a taxi and head south to see the Cargil Salt hills, snorkel at Tori's Reef for 30 min and then head south past the flamingos and Lac Bay to see windsurf paradise and have a Amstel Bright. Of COURSEg get off the ship...

Hi

We were there last Feb and booked our next cruise just to go to Bonaire again. The snorkling is the best at Klein Bonaire.

The town is just to the right of the dock. small and easily navigated. The streets run parrallel to the sea. There is a small town park.

The island is not too touristy. a few tents set up but no hard sell.

It isn't like many ports with diamond international on every corner.

The town is just a couple of peaceful blocks with some bars along the coast.

After coming back from Klein bonaire, we showered and still had time to explore the town and that was with the ship arriving at 2 and we were at early seating for dinner.

Hi

We were there last Feb and booked our next cruise just to go to Bonaire again. The snorkling is the best at Klein Bonaire.

The town is just to the right of the dock. small and easily navigated. The streets run parrallel to the sea. There is a small town park.

The island is not too touristy. a few tents set up but no hard sell.

It isn't like many ports with diamond international on every corner.

The town is just a couple of peaceful blocks with some bars along the coast.

After coming back from Klein bonaire, we showered and still had time to explore the town and that was with the ship arriving at 2 and we were at early seating for dinner.

I am assume by the responses here (thank you)...that if we arrive at 1 p.m. take a two our snorkle tour at 1:30 (done at 3:30) and the ship leaves at 6 p.m. that we will have time for four of us to catch a taxi to see the Salt hills and then the Flamingos and make it back in time. (?)

Thanks for everyones help!

Thank you all for your comments. I looked at two possible shore excursions: 1 is a Mushi Mushi Catamaran snorkle/sail (which sounds like party boats I've been on) and the other is a Land Sailing (Blow-Kart?) excursion. Anyone done either of these??

Just got back from our cruise on Nov. 9th. We did the land sailing and it was a lot of fun! Very nice people that run this place. Our bus driver was a very kind lady. She stopped several times to let us out of the van to take photos.

This is the island we loved the most! It has the most beautiful water you have ever seen. We were told 100 ft. visability. It is awsome. You have to get in this water!

We regretted that we had such a short time there. We loved it so much more than Aruba. The people in Bonaire were much more friendly and prices were better.

Just got off the Emerald yesterday. You MUST get off the boat and see this beautiful island. A bunch of us got a taxi, paid $5 each way and wound up at Sorobon Beach, about a 10 minute drive from the pier. Crystal clear, calm water, great windsurfing, lots of fish...there's a place to change, bathrooms that were suprisingly clean, a beach bar with plenty of cheap beer and tropical drinks (YUM!) We stayed about 2 1/2 hours then easily got another taxi with a wonderful driver who called himself "The King" who took us on a bit of an island tour...all in all a wonderful few hours.

If I'm not mistaken, the ship was only in Bonaire for 6 hours...8 until 2pm, I believe.

See Bonaire!!

I agree with everyone whose already posted. Bonaire was a great suprise for us. By far of the eight ports we visited recently this was our favorite. The water was beauftiful and the town center very quaint. We're considering returning for a short stay just on Bonaire. Definetly get off the boat and Enjoy the distinct Dutch atmosphere.

• 2 weeks later...

7am to 11am is early! Karel's beach bar (more like a dock bar) sells excellent coffee! We were supposed to go to Klein Bonaire but the water taxi broke down. Some people like staying on the ship on occasionally but not me, even if I just walk about town. They do offer some good spa deals when in port though. It's just depends on your preferences.

• 3 weeks later...

Based on everyone's strong recommendations, I booked the Mushi Mushi Catamaran Snorkel & Sail for our 4 hour visit. Even if I can't see much of the island itself this time around, I'll at least get the chance to get in the water which is supposed to be magnificent! Will let you all know when I get back:D

We just returned recently and may I suggest a small sailing trip with snorkeling with Walter and Liezeth at Bowalie Sailing trips. They will pick you up at the dock, take you to the sailboat, provide a relaxing sightseeing sailing trip with snorkelling if you like, including all gear, drinks, small snacks. Can't stress enough how accomodating this couple were for us. I'm sure they would make changes in their times for you. They'll have you back in time to sail away on your 'big' boat. www.bowalie.com

Archived