From the Pearl ...Civil unrest in Honduras ?

Scotty1

:D Thats why we get along so well.

I believe that the unrest occurred as reported by passengers.

However, I am waiting for confirmation - which could be (for me) someone I know and trust, or an official source.

I fully trust what James says, but I don't know the person who he heard it from, so the unrest story is unconfirmed for me.

It will be interesting to see what Terry finds out.

This is annoying, I can find news stories on all of this from various media, but the warden message is either not on the state department and Honduran embassy websites or buried. I do not doubt it is true, but it is not too ressuring that this information is so difficult to get from our own government.

Last year there was a similar situation in Santo Tomas de Castilla, Guatemala. However NCL opted to continue to visit that port even though the State Department had issued a warning due to a couple of hostage situations etc..

There may or may not be an official State Dept. warning - nobody has been able to find one so far.

However, that in no way stops the captain from deciding to forego the port in the interest of the safety of the guests & crew.

That happens quite a lot with cruise lines in Asia, Egypt, Turkey and the like. Not necessarily on our govt.'s warning list but still they decide to cancel the port with some news of flareups of one kind or the other.

Roatan is a nice port of call with excellent underwater so I hope you all have a chance to go there. However, if NCL or any other line decides to cancel the port, we have to think they are acting in our best interest IMHO.

I search the web for a Honduras newspaper and I found an article about the protest in "La Prensa" on.line version under the title "Intensifican los reclamos a Reco por altos cobros".

The article talks about the problems with 'Roatan Electric Company' (Reco) and how the airport and sea port access road were blocked by the manifestants.

At 7pm a meeting with the Governor finish the conflict with the promise to have further negotiations with Reco.

The news also mention how Roatan economy suffer a big impact from 'a cruise ship with thousands of passengers that didn't make it to the island'

Hope this is solved, I'll be on the Pearl going to Roatan next week!

Well, I found what I would call independent verification of the protests. (My Spanish is not good enough to read the Spanish language newspaper, so I had it translated by Yahoo Bablefish. You have to take some words at slightly different meaning. If someone here is fluent in Spanish, a link to the story is at the bottom)

Note the last sentence:

The protests left losses significant, because a boat with thousands of tourists did not arrive at the island.

They intensify the reclamations to Reco by high collections

Settlers took accesses to the airport and the wharf

14.10.08 - Actualizado: 14.10.08 10:35pm - Redacción: redaccion@laprensa.hn

Roatán, Honduras

The manifestations of inhabitants of the island and people who have arrived at the place continued yesterday, in a clear message to the management of the company Roatan Electric Company, Reco, so that it lowers the collections by services of energy. The actions initiated the past Monday in the morning intensified yesterday with protests against the airport, terminal of yachts and other points of the island, which prevented the free passage of conductors. The protestants indicated that if the company does not lower the tariffs, the situation will follow or perhaps she gets worse, leaving in clear that she looks for to arrive at the last consequences. Until the noon, the Police had not acted, but it did not discard that the situation worsened if followed closed the passage tourists and town generally.

The agreements

In the evening, 19 people who conformed a retinue reunited with mayor Dale Jackson, the deputy Jerry Hyde and governor Arly Tompson to mediate in the subject; in the meeting one remembered end the conflict. Andy Berríos, one of the leaders who headed the protest, said that the determination of the bases was to take the streets, " we are not going to remain of arms cruzados. This situation is unbearable; no longer so many increases in the tariff are supported of luz" , it said. Mayor Dale Jackson showed that the meetings of in the evening went yesterday by good way and it hoped myself to negotiate with the Reco company. " We will offer a report after concluding the meetings to present all the details the results that obtengan" , the edile said. The protests left losses significant, because a boat with thousands of tourists did not arrive at the island.

http://www.laprensa.hn/Inicio/Edicio...r-altos-cobros

Just got this from Fins and Flippers in Roatan:

Steve, it is true that the NCL did not stop yesterday (Tues. Oct. 14) because of issues we have on the island with the local electric company raising the electric price and the locals didn't take too kind to the hike in price so the best thing they thought they could to make a statement is to make some road blocks and stop traffic and business on the island. It was not violent, just a very big disruption on the island. RECO (Roatan Electric Company) and the local government is working to resolve the issue. Today, there is no road blocks, or disruption in business. So due to all the road blocks, none of the cruise ship passengers could not have gotten to any of their excursions. This issue should be resolved shortly and not be a problem when your ship arrives on Oct. 28.

Please let me know if you have any further questions or need to add more people to your reservation.

Cindy

I posted on the Rotan board thid marning and this was posted in response.

The U.S. Embassy in the Honduras capital city of Tegucigalpa released the following Warden Message on October 14:

The U.S. Embassy in Tegucigalpa alerts American citizens residing in and traveling to the Bay Island of Roatan about ongoing protests throughout the island. The Embassy has reports of widespread demonstrations, road closures and possible violence due to a significant rise in the price of electrical services provided by the island’s utility company, RECO.

The Embassy has confirmed reports of demonstrators taking over the island’s major roads, including the roads to the airport, the cruise ship port, downtown, and to the areas of West End, Sandy Bay, Flowers Bay and Santos Guardiola. There are also confirmed reports of burning tires, checkpoints set up by protestors, and possible anti-American sentiment. The Embassy received a report of a threat of violence directed towards an American trying to pass through a checkpoint.

The Embassy strongly recommends U.S. citizens to remain in their homes and not try to pass roadblocks, as there have been incidents of violence in the past. U.S. citizens should avoid travel in affected areas and should monitor the situation via media sources, including TV and radio, and avoid large gatherings.

For the latest security information, Americans traveling abroad should regularly monitor the Department’s Internet web site at http://travel.state.gov where the current Travel Warnings and Public Announcements, including the Worldwide Caution Public Announcement, can be found.

Up-to-date information on safety and security can also be obtained by calling 1-888-407-4747 toll free in the U.S., or for callers outside the U.S. and Canada, a regular toll-line at 1-202-501-4444. These numbers are available from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).

Americans living or traveling in Honduras are encouraged to register with the nearest U.S. Embassy or Consulate through the State Department’s travel registration website, https://travelregistration.state.gov, and to obtain updated information on travel and security within Honduras. Americans without Internet access may register directly with the nearest U.S. Embassy or Consulate. By registering, American citizens make it easier for the Embassy or Consulate to contact them in case of emergency.

Unrest over raise in electric rates for the island of Roatan does not surprise me. To my knowledge from speaking with Roatan residents over the years, there has been much unrest between the mainland of Honduras and island residents.

Have been told many times by different sources on the island that Roatan is treated like an orphan by the mainland govt in Honduras.

Our American Legion Auxiliary worked to help stock the island or Roatan's first public library a couple of years ago. We could not ship the books directly to Roatan because mailing the books to the library would necessitate going through the mainland.

When cruisers have tried to help orphanages and schools on Roatan in the past we have had to hand carry school supplies, etc. to the orphanages and schools.

Basic reason -- if items are shipped through mail, etc., they end up on the mainland of Honduras. The people living on Roatan are notified that there is a shipment waiting for them on the mainland and the addressee then pays a tariff, a tax, to retrieve the package.

Have been told by those on Roatan that once the tax is paid and the boxes have been retrieved the boxes have often been opened and items are often missing from the shipments.

Now that RCCL & Carnival are building up dock areas on Roatan with piers filled with Diamonds International and other shops like Del Sol, etc., mainland Honduras govt is probably viewing this as an opportunity to reap in big bucks from utility costs to the island.

Dianne

As of a few minutes before 4PM Eastern Time, I could not find anything on the official US State Department website relating to this situation, which is somewhat distuurbing because many people rely on this website when making their travel plans. There is a travel alert issued yesterday, but it is for Mexico.

So my two questions are: How did the Captain know of the unrest ahead of time, and why did the official website of the State Department fail to post this information where many people would be looking for it?

As of a few minutes before 4PM Eastern Time, I could not find anything on the official US State Department website relating to this situation, which is somewhat distuurbing because many people rely on this website when making their travel plans. There is a travel alert issued yesterday, but it is for Mexico.

So my two questions are: How did the Captain know of the unrest ahead of time, and why did the official website of the State Department fail to post this information where many people would be looking for it?

I'm sure the Captain was in touch with the HarborMaster well ahead of time.

As for the State Dept....That's a real good question.

I sent this message to a web site named Travel Roatan:

> Can you confirm that there have been recent protests including road

> blockages because of increases in electricity prices? What is the

> extent of the unrest?

Here is the response, which I received almost immediately:

Yes, there have been protests about electrical prices. The road blockages were extensive yesterday but now the main blockage is at the RECO plant, which is on the main island highway.

I'm suspect that it was the protesters intent to block passengers from cruise ships. It was mentioned above that the road from the docks was being blocked. The protesters made it clear their intent, and the harbor master notified the Captain, who deemed there was no point in stopping since passengers would not be able to travel from the dock.

Ditto, good question about the state dept.

But also, good news that it seems to be getting resolved quickly.

I search the web for a Honduras newspaper and I found an article about the protest in "La Prensa" on.line version under the title "Intensifican los reclamos a Reco por altos cobros".

The article talks about the problems with 'Roatan Electric Company' (Reco) and how the airport and sea port access road were blocked by the manifestants.

At 7pm a meeting with the Governor finish the conflict with the promise to have further negotiations with Reco.

The news also mention how Roatan economy suffer a big impact from 'a cruise ship with thousands of passengers that didn't make it to the island'

Hope this is solved, I'll be on the Pearl going to Roatan next week!

Hey.. have you signed up for the Meet and Greet we are having onboard on Monday??

Just got this from Fins and Flippers in Roatan:

Steve, it is true that the NCL did not stop yesterday (Tues. Oct. 14) because of issues we have on the island with the local electric company raising the electric price and the locals didn't take too kind to the hike in price so the best thing they thought they could to make a statement is to make some road blocks and stop traffic and business on the island. It was not violent, just a very big disruption on the island. RECO (Roatan Electric Company) and the local government is working to resolve the issue. Today, there is no road blocks, or disruption in business. So due to all the road blocks, none of the cruise ship passengers could not have gotten to any of their excursions. This issue should be resolved shortly and not be a problem when your ship arrives on Oct. 28.

Please let me know if you have any further questions or need to add more people to your reservation.

Cindy

Thanks for posting this. I really am looking forward to seeing Roatan and especially the beach.

I posted on the Rotan board thid marning and this was posted in response.

The U.S. Embassy in the Honduras capital city of Tegucigalpa released the following Warden Message on October 14:

The U.S. Embassy in Tegucigalpa alerts American citizens residing in and traveling to the Bay Island of Roatan about ongoing protests throughout the island. The Embassy has reports of widespread demonstrations, road closures and possible violence due to a significant rise in the price of electrical services provided by the island’s utility company, RECO.

The Embassy has confirmed reports of demonstrators taking over the island’s major roads, including the roads to the airport, the cruise ship port, downtown, and to the areas of West End, Sandy Bay, Flowers Bay and Santos Guardiola. There are also confirmed reports of burning tires, checkpoints set up by protestors, and possible anti-American sentiment. The Embassy received a report of a threat of violence directed towards an American trying to pass through a checkpoint.

The Embassy strongly recommends U.S. citizens to remain in their homes and not try to pass roadblocks, as there have been incidents of violence in the past. U.S. citizens should avoid travel in affected areas and should monitor the situation via media sources, including TV and radio, and avoid large gatherings.

For the latest security information, Americans traveling abroad should regularly monitor the Department’s Internet web site at http://travel.state.gov where the current Travel Warnings and Public Announcements, including the Worldwide Caution Public Announcement, can be found.

Up-to-date information on safety and security can also be obtained by calling 1-888-407-4747 toll free in the U.S., or for callers outside the U.S. and Canada, a regular toll-line at 1-202-501-4444. These numbers are available from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).

Americans living or traveling in Honduras are encouraged to register with the nearest U.S. Embassy or Consulate through the State Department’s travel registration website, https://travelregistration.state.gov, and to obtain updated information on travel and security within Honduras. Americans without Internet access may register directly with the nearest U.S. Embassy or Consulate. By registering, American citizens make it easier for the Embassy or Consulate to contact them in case of emergency.

Ok .. now I believe it!

We have friends that live on Roatan and they say that all is fine. That there was just a mostly peaceful demonstration with road blocks and a large demonstration in front of the island's electric company to protest the 300% increase in electric bills this month. Supposedly the protest finished today and the electric company and the government are responding to their concerns. The huge increase of the electricty charges were such that the average citizen could not pay their electric bills, and after no previous remedy was offered, felt that the demonstration was the only way for their questions to be answered.

It was unfortunate that the cruise ship did or could not dock yesterday, but our family has been to Roatan, many times, both on cruises and as visiting guests. It is a beautiful, peaceful island with the most friendly and happy people. The beaches are amazing. Quite a jewel. We normally go to West Bay beach, at Fosters resort and always have the most wonderful time. I hope that this does not deter people from going and enjoying this beautiful island and the beautiful people there.

Thanks to Iceburg for the link. I have never heard of a Warden Message, nor the agency promulgating the info, nor the website, but can scarcely doubt its authenticity or credibility. Just another place to have to look for information in order to find out what is going on.

I've lived in Roatan part time for the last 5 years. There seems to be some concern on this forum about what's happening there with the protest. There is a protest going on over the almost double electric bills within the last 2 months. The original owners of the electric company on Roatan went bankrupt about a year ago (electrical service was really bad then). It has improved greatly under new ownership but improvements cost money and they had to raise the rates to do it. Many of the people who live on Roatan are very poor (third world country) and can't afford the new rates - that's why they are protesting. The last protest 2 years ago (when the previous company tried to raise electrical rates) lasted 2 days and seemed very mild to me compared to protests I've witnessed here in the US, ie, no molotov's, no one getting beaten to within an inch of their life, etc. It was mostly roadblocks and burning tires in Roatan. I hear the present protest there is just about over - very few roadblocks today. Why are you cruisers cruising during the Carribean rainy season anyway?

Devils on the deep blue sea is a great book that talks about the love/hate relationship with cruise ships and some of these smaller ports of call. One of those complain they are here/complain when they leave relationship.

I'm going to see if I can find that book tomorrow. Sounds like it would be good reading while we cruise.. 8-). Last time we cruised I didn't read a book cause there was so much to see with Alaska.. but time before that I read Heavier than Heaven.. good reading.

I feel compelled to let those know concerned, that many of the citizens were also very upset about the protest which resulted in the cruise ship not coming in. The cruise ships are very important to their income. However, what I have heard is from people living there, though I do not necessarily agree with, is that no one would listen to these people who cannot afford their electric bills, which in comparison to ours would be approximately 3 times what we normally pay in the US on approximately 1/10 of the income. And that the only way to have the goverment and the electric company finally pay attention and do something was to say, please help and please help now. The goverment makes huge dollars on the cruise ship business and they wanted some of those dollars to be spent on helping reduce the electricity costs to the average citizen. I hope they have resolved this now towards a workable solution for all parties. It is a remarkable island of great beauty. All the people our family has met there have been warm, kind and generous.

I've lived in Roatan part time for the last 5 years. There seems to be some concern on this forum about what's happening there with the protest. There is a protest going on over the almost double electric bills within the last 2 months. The original owners of the electric company on Roatan went bankrupt about a year ago (electrical service was really bad then). It has improved greatly under new ownership but improvements cost money and they had to raise the rates to do it. Many of the people who live on Roatan are very poor (third world country) and can't afford the new rates - that's why they are protesting. The last protest 2 years ago (when the previous company tried to raise electrical rates) lasted 2 days and seemed very mild to me compared to protests I've witnessed here in the US, ie, no molotov's, no one getting beaten to within an inch of their life, etc. It was mostly roadblocks and burning tires in Roatan. I hear the present protest there is just about over - very few roadblocks today. Why are you cruisers cruising during the Carribean rainy season anyway?

I think there is a post here about someone seeing them with baseball bats. That may not be a molotov, but still threatening. No matter what, I hope for thier sakes they get the issue resolved. I would hate to see cruise ships pull out of Roatan all together and take away a large part of their income. Think that has happened already in a large part to Jamaica and it has really hurt their economy. I think a huge amount of the cruise ships porting there have pulled out.

Cruising during the Caribbean rainy season?? Great rates on cruises and it fit when we could vacation.

Archived