Mr. Barbados.....Critique this info?

llmoyer123

I've been reading the boards and have gotten a lot of great information from you. We plan to visit The Crane for lunch and swimming at your suggestion when we are in port Tuesday, January 11, from 7:00am until 5:00pm.

we've visited barbados (on a cruise) once in the past and did the Boatyard. it wasn't precisely to our liking, but we're really looking forward to visiting Crane Beach!

1. i've read that it used to cost ($12.50?) to enter through the Crane but is now free to do so, even if one is not eating there. is that correct?

2. is this bus information (from the ship to the crane) correct:

Catch the $1 shuttle directly outside Pelican Village to the Fairchild Bus Station on the corner of Bridge & Fairchild. The shuttle will cost $1 US and runs every 15 minutes. Then, from Fairchild Bus Station, take the 12A bus which heads to The Crane (just before Sam Lord’s Castle).

3. If we decide to walk, is the following information accurate and how long does it take?

To reach the Fairchild Street terminal, exit the Gatehouse (the exit from the cruise terminal complex), walk SE past Pelican Village on Princess Alice Hwy until it turns into Hwy 1, continue past National Heroes Square to Bridge Street. Turn right over the bridge to the terminal at Bridge and Fairchild.

4. is this accurate:

city buses (blue buses with a yellow stripe) run every 1/2 hour from 5:30AM to Midnight and cost US $.75 (exact change only).

5. this statement, which i found on the message boards here, confuses me:

"Only the large government buses take the tokens. The small mini-buses and vans only take cash (US or local currency). They cost more, or anyway they charged us $2 per person. I don't think that the locals were paying that much."

*Can you elaborate on this?

6. how long will the shuttle to the bus station take?

7. how long will the bus to The Crane take?

8. how far is the Waterfront Cafe from the ship? i'm guessing we'll be lunching at The Crane, but am wondering if we could kill some time over breakfast pastries and coffees and the such at The Waterfront first?

9. if, in fact, we're too early at 7 a.m. to head for The Crane for a day on the beach.....I'm considering a recommendation of yours I saw on the message boards here:

"hop a city bus for US $.75 and ride it to the end and back--you reported this is a great way to see the island inexpensively and you can stop whenever you wish".......................how long would this take?

10. is there an abbreviated bus "tour" like the above that would take only an hour or so?

11. what time do the shops in bridgetown open on tuesdays?

12. how long does it take to hop a bus/shuttle from where the ship docks to downtown BT?

13. i have read that mt. gay rum is the "thing" to buy in liquor but it can be found less expensive in st. thomas. correct?

14. i have also read that though Banks Beer is local, Carib beer is better. do you agree?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give. It's obvious you are a wealth of knowledge on this message board!

linda

I've been reading the boards and have gotten a lot of great information from you. We plan to visit The Crane for lunch and swimming at your suggestion when we are in port Tuesday, January 11, from 7:00am until 5:00pm.

we've visited barbados (on a cruise) once in the past and did the Boatyard. it wasn't precisely to our liking, but we're really looking forward to visiting Crane Beach!

1. i've read that it used to cost ($12.50?) to enter through the Crane but is now free to do so, even if one is not eating there. is that correct?

[b]No, it’s not free. We always go for lunch or dinner so are not subjected to this charge, but last time I was told it was $12.50 but believe this was in BD$ so it would actually be US$6.25. Refundable with lunch. Free access to the beach is a trek over the high water line and some minor rocks to the left if the Hotel.[/b]

2. is this bus information (from the ship to the crane) correct:

Catch the $1 shuttle directly outside Pelican Village to the Fairchild Bus Station on the corner of Bridge & Fairchild. The shuttle will cost $1 US and runs every 15 minutes. Then, from Fairchild Bus Station, take the 12A bus which heads to The Crane (just before Sam Lord’s Castle).

[b]Yes.[/b]

3. If we decide to walk, is the following information accurate and how long does it take?

To reach the Fairchild Street terminal, exit the Gatehouse (the exit from the cruise terminal complex), walk SE past Pelican Village on Princess Alice Hwy until it turns into Hwy 1, continue past National Heroes Square to Bridge Street. Turn right over the bridge to the terminal at Bridge and Fairchild.

[b]It’s about a 15-20 minute walk and the above is correct[/b]

4. is this accurate:

city buses (blue buses with a yellow stripe) run every 1/2 hour from 5:30AM to Midnight and cost US $.75 (exact change only).

[b]Yes.[/b]

5. this statement, which i found on the message boards here, confuses me:

"Only the large government buses take the tokens. The small mini-buses and vans only take cash (US or local currency). They cost more, or anyway they charged us $2 per person. I don't think that the locals were paying that much."

*Can you elaborate on this?

[b]The shuttle is a buck the last time that I checked. They may have paid in BD$ so in that case it would be $2.00[/b]

6. how long will the shuttle to the bus station take?

[b]10 minutes or less depending on how often they stop.[/b]

7. how long will the bus to The Crane take?

[b]Plan on 30-45 minutes[/b]

8. how far is the Waterfront Cafe from the ship? i'm guessing we'll be lunching at The Crane, but am wondering if we could kill some time over breakfast pastries and coffees and the such at The Waterfront first?

[b]It’s about a 15-20 minute walk. If you decide to walk to the bus terminal, the Waterfront is across the river from Nelson statue at The Careenage. Go right over the first bridge that you come to, cross over the river then turn right on Cavans Lane and you are there. When you’re ready to walk to the terminal, walk south on Bay Street to Fairchild and turn left for a long block to the terminal.[/b]

9. if, in fact, we're too early at 7 a.m. to head for The Crane for a day on the beach.....I'm considering a recommendation of yours I saw on the message boards here:

"hop a city bus for US $.75 and ride it to the end and back--you reported this is a great way to see the island inexpensively and you can stop whenever you wish".......................how long would this take?

[b]Well, it could take as long as you want, actually. I’d walk up to Spring Garden Hwy and catch a bus marked Speightstown, out-of-town. This will take you up most of the coast and you can get off anytime. If you stay on and return on the same bus, I would guess it would be about 45-60 minutes[/b]

10. is there an abbreviated bus "tour" like the above that would take only an hour or so?

[b]Not that I’m aware of, perhaps some one else could help with that[/b]

11. what time do the shops in bridgetown open on tuesdays?

[b]Shops are open between 8:30am-4:30pm or from 9am-5pm Monday-Friday. 8:30am-1 or 2 on Saturdays and most closed on Sundays.[/b]

12. how long does it take to hop a bus/shuttle from where the ship docks to downtown BT?

[b]You should be able to be on a shuttle within 30 minutes, or less, from the gangplank.[/b]

13. i have read that mt. gay rum is the "thing" to buy in liquor but it can be found less expensive in st. thomas. correct?

[b]I don’t know the answer to that but I can tell you it can’t be too much cheaper in St. Thomas as it’s very inexpensive on Barbados.[/b]

14. i have also read that though Banks Beer is local, Carib beer is better. do you agree?

[b]Beer is subjective, however I prefer Carib. The Carib brewed at the head brewery in Grenada is absolutely excellent. The version marketed in Barbados is almost as good[/b]

Thanks in advance for any help you can give. It's obvious you are a wealth of knowledge on this message board!

[b]My pleasure! Have a wonderful time on the island! :)[/b]

Archived