Besides dolphin excursion, what to do?

hollon

Hi,

I am going in June and have been trying to plan out our day in cozumel also. From what I can gather, some of the must do's are:

Nachi Cocom - a private, secluded beach with personal attendants, away from the hustle and bustle of the "party" scence. You can read about it on this site or go to cozumelinsider.com. You pay $49 in advance and it includes, entry, 3 course meal and all your drinks. Other activities are available for a fee (massages, snorkeling, etc.)

Chankanaab National Park - This is where the dolphin discovery is at. You can also just stay here and snorkel, if your interested in that. I hear they do have a lay out, kinda beachy area, it's not really like a typical walk in beach. It's supposedly very rocky because of the reef.

Shopping - In the shopping district, a shopping plaza called Los Cinco Soles is supposed to be the best shopping experience in Mexico. This is a "no haggling" shopping center, as are most of the ones on the main streets. I hear if you go back a couple of blocks or to the Flea Market, that's where you can find great bargains and "haggling" is expected. Just depends what you're in the mood for, I guess.

Eats - I haven't done much research on food, however, I do hear great reviews about Pancho's Backyard. It is located at the Los Cinco Soles shopping mall. I think a new one will be located at the Puerto Maya Pier, Carnival's new pier that will be opening within a couple of days.

Ruins - I know you can tour the island to see the ruins, but I haven't researched any of that information because it is not of interest to my group.

I think I have the above facts correct. Like I said, we are not going until June, but I have already started doing tons of research so I can make the most out of our time while we are in Cozumel. Please let me know when you return so I can see what you did and what you think is worth doing/seeing.

Have fun!

Daphne

Could someone tell me what excursion you would say not to miss in cozumel? I'm planning to do the dolphin swim already. Please help, leaving in a two weeks? :)

We've been to Cozumel twice and enjoyed it. First time we did the Atlantis Submarine and loved it. Took up just enough time that we didn't feel rushed, had plenty of time to eat and shop, and the experience was fantastic. It IS a real sub, you go out on a approx. 20 minute boat ride around the island to the sub site, and on the sub you go down past 100ft and see lots of fish, even sea turtles. The second time we tried the Sea Trek Helmet Dive and LOVED it. Madame Le Cruiser won't go under in our pool at home but she loved going 20-30 feet below water for 40 minutes, walking around, being swarmed by tropical fish.... That was one of our best times. Again, left plenty of time to eat and shop. We're not scuba or snorkle people, and those two excursions were two of our favorites.

Could someone tell me what excursion you would say not to miss in cozumel? I'm planning to do the dolphin swim already. Please help, leaving in a two weeks? :)

You have already picked the number one "excursion" to avoid, IMO, so I doubt that I'd be able to help you.

I only figured it was worth it because its expensive to do this everywhere else, it be cool to be that up close with them and it includes the entrace to the park.

I paid 98 dollars for the swim adventure.. why would you say it wasnt worth it?

Im not questioning your judgement but I am super curious.. I have never cruised before and here in florida it costs 300 dollars for the same experience.. *shrug*

whats so terrible about the dolphins? I really want to know because i just booked with them.

Oh, it's a fine experience for the humans, but that isn't why I detest the whole captive sentient marine mammal exploitation atrocity. IMO, it is simple wrong to keep dolphins captive for the amusement of tourists.

Enjoy your excursion.

:( :( I completely understand.. I feel kinda guilty now..

And that was the intent of the post...to make you feel kinda guilty. The dolphins seem to be well cared for and certainly not exposed to a lot of the hazards in their "natural" environment. (Do Dolphins in the wild get food and medical care?).

Go and have fun. The entire captive thing probably bothers us more than it does them.

Bill

Swimming with the dolphins was something I always wanted to do, and I know lots of people do it every year. I SO changed my mind after my daughter did a report on dolphins and researched about these types of activities. I know now I won't ever do it and she changed her mind also. I'm no animal activist and we eat local raised or organic meats, (these days I'm not so sure about that either)- but I am all up for humane treatment of captive animals. Research a little for yourself and then decide.

BTW, You partaking in this activity, or not, will not change anything, especially in Mexico and I'm sure you will enjoy it, just as everyone else I have ever talked with about it has.

Swimming with the dolphins was something I always wanted to do, and I know lots of people do it every year. I SO changed my mind after my daughter did a report on dolphins and researched about these types of activities. I know now I won't ever do it and she changed her mind also. I'm no animal activist and we eat local raised or organic meats, (these days I'm not so sure about that either)- but I am all up for humane treatment of captive animals. Research a little for yourself and then decide.

BTW, You partaking in this activity, or not, will not change anything, especially in Mexico and I'm sure you will enjoy it, just as everyone else I have ever talked with about it has.

This is how I felt too. I was planning on booking this excursion until I did a bit of research. After that, there was no way I could enjoy this activity so now I am looking for something else to do while in Cozumel.

i am totally tossed now. while i think dolphins are beautiful and wonderful creatures and was very excited to do this, i also feel that it is wrong when animals are mistreated.

Do I nessesarily think that this is the case here, im not sure. Maybe this sounds dumb, but I kind of agree with the lady that said that maybe it bothers us more than it does them.

I dont think that they are being mistreated or abused in that environment, specially if they have grown acustomed to it.

It may not be the best environment for them either, but if they are healthy and eating then I am not sure what the big deal is.

I dont know though, there is no way for me to really know unless I have a lot of research and know exactly how they are doing..

can I get my money back from DD?

Archived