Warerunner/ amputee ???

LaShoe

Our group is going on RCCL next week, and one of our ports is CoCoa Cay. My girlfriend is a leg amputee. She would like to rent a waverunner. Has anyone had any experience with them? She is really looking forward to it and I'm hoping it will not be a problem.

Our group is going on RCCL next week, and one of our ports is CoCoa Cay. My girlfriend is a leg amputee. She would like to rent a waverunner. Has anyone had any experience with them? She is really looking forward to it and I'm hoping it will not be a problem.

The only problem I forsee is if she falls off the waverunner in open water and has to climb back on. I had a hard time doing it with just one hip replacement (at the time). Luckily I was riding with my husband and he helped me on.

Hi LaShoe,

Is your girlfriend an above or below knee amputee? The reason I ask, is because I am an above knee amputee and werar a prosthetic. I have never been on a waverunner and probably never will. I have however, fallen into our pool with the prosthetic leg on and I can tell you, it was a bitch to get out! I would have to say if she fell off, it is going to be difficult to get back on the waverunner unless she can manage to take the prosthetic off while in the water and then put it back on - you could possibly do this with a below the knee prosthetic but not an above knee prosthetic.

Another thing to keep in mind, many prostheic legs are not ment for "water activities" unless they are specifically made for the water.

Pokey:)

Hi! we're back! My girlfriend is an above the knee amputee and does not wear a prostheic leg. She rode the wave runner as a passenger and had a blast. We even stopped to swim a bit and she and my husband were the only ones to jump in. I have fallen off a waverunner and know how diffucult it is to get back on. She not only got back on faster than I would have but she did it with grace and style. She is an incredible person!

Hi! we're back! My girlfriend is an above the knee amputee and does not wear a prostheic leg. She rode the wave runner as a passenger and had a blast. We even stopped to swim a bit and she and my husband were the only ones to jump in. I have fallen off a waverunner and know how diffucult it is to get back on. She not only got back on faster than I would have but she did it with grace and style. She is an incredible person!

I am so glad that everything worked out for your girlfriend and that she had a blast! Most of the time (at least for me) it is so much easier to do things without the aid of a prosthetic because they are heavy, bulky and uncomfortable.

Pokey:)

Archived