Advice on Cabo, PV, and Mazatlan in January please

sparkle56

We sometimes choose to do independent excursions rather than Princess ones. That was the case when we were in the Mediterranean and it worked beautifully.

I would appreciate advice on this for Cabo, PV, and Mazatlan. How reliable are independent excursions? Will we see more? And what is a pulmonia? I keep seeing that on the posts.

We like to just see the highlights of any city. . .not interested in just going to the beach. How "explore on our own" are any of these ports? For instance, the Golden Zone--what is it, how does one get there, is it important to go?

We are going mid-January on the Sapphire Princess.

Thanks!

We sometimes choose to do independent excursions rather than Princess ones. That was the case when we were in the Mediterranean and it worked beautifully.

I would appreciate advice on this for Cabo, PV, and Mazatlan. How reliable are independent excursions? Will we see more? And what is a pulmonia? I keep seeing that on the posts.

We like to just see the highlights of any city. . .not interested in just going to the beach. How "explore on our own" are any of these ports? For instance, the Golden Zone--what is it, how does one get there, is it important to go?

We are going mid-January on the Sapphire Princess.

Thanks!

Pulmonias are open-air taxis, little more than fiberglass go-carts powered by Volkswagen Bug engines.

The "Golden Zone" is a large shopping district in Mazatlan and you can take a taxi or pulmonia to get there.

Here is a web site for Vallarta that will give you a broad overview and has very up-to-date maps. http://www.vallartainfo.com/

Enjoy!

The Golden Zone is really not the best of Mazatlan. Do a google search of Mazatlan Frank and possibly book with him for a better overview of Mazatlan. We are booked with him in December. If you cant book with him, take a ships tour that takes you other places than just the Golden Zone, unless you like just shopping and alot of crowds, etc.

Also, Mazatlan Frank's website has independent tours in PV and Cabo I believe through some of his associates. Again, if you google him, you will find excellent reviews.

In Cabo, it is really easy to do your own thing there. Not alot of mileage to cover as in other ports. You can get off your ship, check out the tours offered locally, (right ther in the marina) can't go wrong, if nothing looks good to you, just walk around Cabo, shop, eat, etc. You can also take a water or land taxi over to Medano Beach. Although, doesnt sound like you are just beach peeps but could include this as part of your day. We are going in December and plan to take an independent tour to Land's End (can book in the Marina), walk around the town for some shopping (again within walking distance of the Marina), and then go to Las Cascadas resort for lunch (on Medano Beach and recommended by Househunter) and then back on the ship.

Enjoy your cruise

Our family just came back from the trip last week. I ditto on Mazatlan Frank since we did the city/beach tour with him. Excellent guy and was waiting outside when we arrive. Really took care of us and the kids.

In Cabo, we took a water taxi to see the Arch and just had a 45 min tour around the rock formation. Pretty nice and it only cost $10 pp. I would not recommend getting off to the Lover's beach since the water is extremely rough. People were having a hard time getting on and off the water taxi.

In PV, we swam with dolphins at the Sea Life Park. The park is ok but the kids love it.

Hope this help.

Ling

Archived