What do you think? (Links included)

christina_haws

Hello everyone!

I'm working on picking out my formal wear for my January Costa cruise. I've found a few (okay, a ton!) of dresses I like. I'm trying to narrow it down. Anyone care to give me their opinion on these? Which one, (or two) do you like the best, and why? Hopefully all these links work! :)

1. http://www.newport-news.com/shop/Product.asp?catid=1689&gpcatID=2&pacatID=1649&subcatID=1686&superstyleID=158788&mainstyleid=209817&prodnum=4887940

2. http://www.newport-news.com/shop/Product.asp?catid=1689&gpcatID=2&pacatID=1649&subcatID=1686&superstyleID=161491&mainstyleid=212422&prodnum=4921179

3. http://www.newport-news.com/shop/Product.asp?catid=1891&gpcatID=1875&pacatID=1878&subcatID=&superstyleID=160964&mainstyleid=210826&prodnum=4899347

4. http://www.newport-news.com/shop/Product.asp?catid=1689&gpcatID=2&pacatID=1649&subcatID=1686&superstyleID=161689&mainstyleid=213064&prodnum=4928027

P.S. A few details about me: I'm 22, tall, brown hair, green eyes. I'm cruising with my brother and two friends of ours (a couple).

HI there,

I like the 1st and the 3rd. I think the 2nd and 4th aren't as "formal". The red one is a little more lingerie-like and definitely attention-getting. The black one is really classic and you wouldn't stand out as much.

I like both of those a lot!! I'd probably feel more comfortable in the black but they're both great!

Melissa :)

I like the green one the best. It's very pretty, especially if you're tall and the green will compliment your eyes. I'd wear it with a pair of gold or bronze metalic leather sandals.

Then I like the black surplice w/ long sleeves after that.

The black sleeveless is stretch velour. Velour in a summer climate looks out of place. Also, to be honest, though it's a nice clean, classic style, the fabric is cheap looking in my opinion.

The red one is just okay. Actually reminds me of the nightgown I wore to bed last night.

Jane

i definitely like the green one best! i love brunettes in that olive-ish color, and with your green eyes...wow, you'll be the belle of the ball for sure! Its a really unique dress...i want one! i think my second choice would be the red one. if you're looking to blend in, wear the black... but hey, you're 22! why not stand out? i'd go with the two color dresses! whichever you choose, have a great time... you'll look gorgeous!;)

*Kristen

I like the green the best. Try Nordstroms, Bloomingdales and even Neiman Marcus online. Go to their sales you can find really good dresses at reduced prices. I think you can get more for your money that way. I have gotten some really beautiful things at great discounts.

Stella

I am going on my first cruise in Dec. and posted my choices, like you did. I discovered that you really do get what you pay for. I also found that you can find very good designer deals on overstock.com, amazon.com, bluefly.com, and dillards.com.

The clothes I got for a great price turned out to be very cheap looking, and I was so dissappointed. I had to pay for them to be shipped back. I learned that when you are paying that much, you really need to try it on, touch it, see how you feel in it. Most of all, have fun!

Good luck to you!!

Thanks for all your responses (and for all the ones that might still come)!

I think I like the green and the red the best, especially since I already have a nice black dress at home, which I hope still fits. I'm considering ordering both, since I have some things to return to Newport-news anyway, and one of the dresses won't ship until just after Thanksgiving.

On the bright side(s): 1) If I don't like them, I'll just send them back. 2) I can use the same gold accessories for both of them, which cuts down on luggage.

On the other hand: 1) I was afraid that the red one would look like pjs (but I think accessories can counter act that). 2) I won't be able to wear the cutest silver chandelier earrings that I got for $2 at JCPenny, darn! Maybe I'll get the green, forget the red and then find a dress that will go better with my (favorite) silver accessories.

Any recommendations for other places to look online for holiday, formal pretty dresses? I'll be searching the Nashville stores in the coming weeks too.

Any other opinions about the dresses?

I LOVE the green dress. I just don't think it looks formal at all!! Maybe because of the material. It's kind of whispy. It is a great dress though. And it's one of my favorite colors, too.

Good luck choosing! But like you said, order a few and then return them. No big deal :).

Oh, and the quality comment is true. Newport News generally has really poor quality clothes. I'm always tempted, though, because they do get some pretty trendy things. But if I do place and order, I'm usually disappointed!

That is not always true regarding Newport News. I bought a beaded gown 2 years ago right before my Rotterdam cruise. It cost me about $150 and was fabulous.After I bought it, I saw Mary Louise Parker wearing the same gown on an episode of the West Wing. Although, I it was expensive for Newport News, it was a bargain considering the quality of the gown-Draped chiffon with lots of beading.

Linda

It's just my opinion, but I don't really like any of them. Sorry! If I had to pick one, it would be the green one. Definitely do not get the one with the stretchy sparkly material. I HATE that kind of material because the sparkles shed all over everything! I have never purchased anything of that material, but when I see them in the stores, the sparkles are everywhere. Also, on my last cruise, whomever sat in one of the chairs at my table at early seating apparently wore that kind of material, as the chair was full of sparklies! Yuck. Cheap. To me, that type of material is just a chintzy way to dress up an otherwise cheap dress. If I were you, I'd go try on dresses in the store and not order this type of dress (formal). It's ok to order jeans, knits, or something like that. Not shoes or formals. With clothes, you almost always get what you pay for. A cheap formal will look like a cheap formal. Get a nice black dress and dress it up with accessories. Even a classic short sleeve crepe black dress, just above the knee, can be worn year round. You could get diamond earrings, or CZ's for that matter as long as they look real, along with a CZ bracelet, a small black evening bag, panty hose the color of your skin, with black slingback sandals or strappy sandals and you've got a very classy, simple, clean look. Also, you can wear that dress for many occasions! Interviews, dinner dates, funerals, business meetings, etc. And it's an any season dress! Sorry to go on and on, but I'm an AVID shopper and shop all the time. Just can't help it! I like the simple, elegant styles of Ralph Lauren or Vera Wang. Hope this gives you an idea or two.:o

I also vote for Ralph Lauren, Vera Wandg, Anne Klien, Elle Tahri etc, but we each have our own style and have to be comfortable with the look and price. I think you should shop around and see what else is out there. There is so much more than Newport News with better quality for the same money or just a little bit more will get you a much better quality dress. Nordstrom.com, Bloomingdales.com and Polo.com all have sales on their links. Some really nice dresses at great prices. You could order one from there and return if you don't like it. Polo even sends a return slip so you don't have to pay postage. I order alot from there and am never disappointed. Most important is you need to love how you look and feel. If you have a digital camera try the dress on when it comes and take a picture see how you think it looks. Do we really care what everyone else thinks or is it how it makes us feel. I dress for me so what if I am a little overdressed sometimes that's just me.!!!

I like the green the best. Try Nordstroms, Bloomingdales and even Neiman Marcus online. Go to their sales you can find really good dresses at reduced prices. I think you can get more for your money that way. I have gotten some really beautiful things at great discounts.

Stella

stella-- what an excellent idea!!! i have been saying all along that if you really look you can find great deals at high end retailers and not ever have to settle for cheap quality...:D

I also vote for Ralph Lauren, Vera Wandg, Anne Klien, Elle Tahri etc, but we each have our own style and have to be comfortable with the look and price. I think you should shop around and see what else is out there. There is so much more than Newport News with better quality for the same money or just a little bit more will get you a much better quality dress. Nordstrom.com, Bloomingdales.com and Polo.com all have sales on their links. Some really nice dresses at great prices. You could order one from there and return if you don't like it. Polo even sends a return slip so you don't have to pay postage. I order alot from there and am never disappointed. Most important is you need to love how you look and feel. If you have a digital camera try the dress on when it comes and take a picture see how you think it looks. Do we really care what everyone else thinks or is it how it makes us feel. I dress for me so what if I am a little overdressed sometimes that's just me.!!!

Vera Wang, Elie Tahari, and Anne Klein? you are a girl after my own heart, Stella! I was beginning to think I was the only one didn't buy clothes from QVC ...fellow fashionistas unite!

rtobiejr (what does that stand for?) I'm not good with clever names to practical I guess. I love good clothes. I don't love paying full price though. If you shop around you can find beautiful things. I work in Manhattan so shopping is an experience. I stop at Lord & Taylor and Macy's at least once a week to check out the sale racks. I have to pass on the way to the train to commute. Unfortunately I frequently work long hours so I do shop on line alot. The difference is I have seen some of the things in the stores so I know what to expect. Outlet malls are another good way to find discount but you have to know what your looking for. Sometimes the department store sales with coupons are better. Not being snobby with designer names I just think you can get more for your money if you shop around.

rtobiejr (what does that stand for?) I'm not good with clever names to practical I guess. I love good clothes. I don't love paying full price though. If you shop around you can find beautiful things. I work in Manhattan so shopping is an experience. I stop at Lord & Taylor and Macy's at least once a week to check out the sale racks. I have to pass on the way to the train to commute. Unfortunately I frequently work long hours so I do shop on line alot. The difference is I have seen some of the things in the stores so I know what to expect. Outlet malls are another good way to find discount but you have to know what your looking for. Sometimes the department store sales with coupons are better. Not being snobby with designer names I just think you can get more for your money if you shop around.

Rtobiejr stands for Randi Tobie, Jr, because I am a girl who is named after her father :)

I am not a shopping snob either, Stella...and I wholeheartedly agree with what you say. When I buy clothes (with the exception of very up to the minute pieces), I am making an investment. Why buy a pair of cheap quality shoes from JCPenney for 49.99, when I can go to Loehmann's and buy a pair of Bruno Magli Italian shoes that well crafted for 69.99? There's always good quality merchandise to be found at competitive prices if you know when, where and how to shop. From local thrift stores to Neiman Marcus, I shop them all, and I get a good deal everytime!!!:)

Randi great to find someone who agrees. Once in awhile I will splurge on a must have usually shoes LOL Funny even my husband now realizes the difference and only wants the good stuff, he lets me shop for it though except for suits. I guess after wearing uniforms for so many years switching to "street clothes" was just too much fun. Besides scoring a good bargin is such fun. I think everyone at work thinks I spend a ton on clothes but I probably spend as much as they do I just shop a little harder to find the good stuff on sale. I love checking out all the sites everyone hear mentions I always look because you never know. I think the chinese silk jackets could be fun. I think I will ask my friends at work if their is a good place in Chinatown that I can go to though. I would rather see the fabric in person before I buy.

:p

I would rather see the fabric in person before I buy.

Wow - and I thought I was all alone in my snobbery! I have always had a tough time buying the "cheap" stuff, because I simply will not wear certain fabrics. I have to like the way it feels and hangs, else I just will not buy it. I've always been that way - and it makes shopping my personal hell. :rolleyes:

:p

Wow - and I thought I was all alone in my snobbery! I have always had a tough time buying the "cheap" stuff, because I simply will not wear certain fabrics. I have to like the way it feels and hangs, else I just will not buy it. I've always been that way - and it makes shopping my personal hell. :rolleyes:

My mother, who sews very very well, has always taught me to look for natural fibers (eg, wool, cotton, silk)... and to pay attention to fabrication. Believe it or not, it makes a difference in the look and feel or your clothing. What is more, there are different grades among even natural fibers, so that the cashmere sweater you buy at target is not really the same as the cashmere you bought from saks.

btw, Stella...people think i spend a lot of $ on my clothes too. some things i do invest in....but others i shop around for. i spend as much money as some of my girlfriends do on clothes. it's just that when they buy 12 little cheap $12 dresses, i invest in one fantastic $144 dress that fits like a dream and makes me look fantastic.

everyone has enough $ to look good. it's just about how you use what you've got.:)

I love the shoes. Wish I had that link last year before my daughters wedding. They would have been nice to change into for dancing at the reception. I had a shoe disaster. Beautiful formal gown ordered from a bridal shop. Navy strapless, beaded bodice straight skirt, jacket with light beading on the sleeves. I got what I thought were great sandals. asymetrical straps. Well I get all dressed for the wedding and the shoes will not stay on the strap at the heel keeps falling off and the other straps are not enough to hold them on the front and they are 21/2 inch heels. My husband tried tape no go. I asked the wedding assistant for some ribbon and jokingly said navy would be good. Well they came up with navy floral ribbon and we tied them on. Looked like an ankle strap no one knew except I couldn't take my shoes off. Everyone thought it was great I danced in heels all night LOL.

Archived