What did you buy in Costa Maya or Mahajual???

wendya2J

Just wondering what you might have gotten,,,i hear this isnt really a shopping port, but didnt want to miss anyting...

also, does anyone know if they have non alcoholic fru fru drinks at the swim up bar? prices??

thanks, wendy

hi Wendy--last week I bought some silver in Majahual. NOT at the cruise ship built terminal there, but in the actual village.

Honestly, I really didn't try and barter too much. For $35 a got some great silver/turquoise earrings, a silver bracelet and silver ring. I saw some similiar earrings in Cozumel for $30 alone.

There are a few shops, but nothing compared to Cozumel's multitude of shops! However, I was happy that I spent some money in Mahajual. The shop keepers were happy to see us and I felt that my $$$ was going into an individual's pockets, not a corporations!

Our cruise (Grand Princess 12/2003) had a shopping seminar. Do not make any major purchase here! Be wary of cheap silver. Do not buy expensive jewelry, etc. Get it at another Mexican port such as Cozumel!!!!!!

As a personal observation, I noticed that the souvenirs were about 1/2 more money (tshirts, salt pepper shakers, rugs, ponchos, magnets, etc).

Last week we were there and I bought a nice bracelet for DW in Mahajual. Their barter system seemed consistent with other Mexican ports:offer half of what they're asking at first and take it from there. Not a lot of selection but some nice finds can be had with some looking...IMHO

Buy, buy, and buy some more... It was great. We bought several pieces of what the locals called crushed fish bones sculptures (I’m not sure if that what they are, but they sure look great and you can’t get them for that price in the states) for 1/2 the price asked, a dress for my wife and a dress for my daughter both at half the price asked. (Many of the same items were on the pier also, the workers there did not bargain very well and asked us to buy them lunch if they marked it down that low.) Oh and by the way, on the pier a 20 oz. bottle of Coke is $3.00 US and in Mahajual it is $1.00 US.

My wife and I went into town on November 1 and picked up some nice wood carvings. Beautiful pieces and very affordable. Not nearly the offerings as at Cozumel or Cancun and the prices seemed slightly better at Roatan BUT worth going to (the town of Majahual not the Tourist Village when you first arrive).

In March 2003 I bought a pottery water pitcher. The one that you can put a 5 gallon bottle of water on. I think I paid $25 or $30...don't know how good of a deal it was but I liked it. We also picked up two of the macrame swing chairs. They are very colorful and beautiful. We paid $25 for both. I think we did some good shopping in Costa Maya.:D

Bought a tile & punched tin mirror - very reasonably priced compared to what I would pay in Texas, also bought some silver earrings & matching charm .. they were both decent quality.You just have to look for the good stuff, there's lots of cheap quality stuff, but also good quality as well ....

I don't really agree with what the cruise ships say about not going out of the "protected" area and only shopping in Cozumel. The there are good bargins everywhere. Look at the advertising Diamonds Int. gets on the ship. The cruise lines have to be getting some kind of kick back. If you think they advertise those shops for free you must have been born yesterday. It's all about the $$$$. The more they can scare you into buying at the "approved" shops the more the cruise ships make. Those shops are not the only honest people around,

Granted, I would not buy a diamond ring at a village store, but a $10 silver ring or a T-shirt...why not.

"Look at the advertising Diamonds Int. gets on the ship. The cruise lines have to be getting some kind of kick back. If you think they advertise those shops for free you must have been born yesterday. It's all about the $$$$."

The cruise ships receive MAJOR compensation from the "featured vendors" they promote to their passengers. We sailed on the Norwegian Sun last week...in the disclaimer copy of the Port & Cruise Guide it says: "The merchants on this page have paid a promotional fee to NCL to participate in this program."

Don't ever think the cruise lines do anything without considering their bottom line first...even at the expense of their passengers. First and foremost, they're a business that focuses on providing the greatest return for their shareholders.

Archived