Muzak on QV

GrimWheel

Somebody tell me its not true please. Are we subjected to unwanted musical pap everywhere on the ship, including decks ?

I can't be alone in this, does ANYBODY actually like it or want it ?

If its true, I have 7 months to petition cunard to stop it before my next cruise and first QV trip is blighted.

Somebody tell me its not true please. Are we subjected to unwanted musical pap everywhere on the ship, including decks ?

If its true, I have 7 months to petition cunard to stop it before my next cruise and first QV trip is blighted.

Not sure about QV, but QM2 does have such. Thankfully. I understand your objection. But disagree, as I like some (current) music while on deck. You can always wear ear-plugs if you don't care for it. Many of us like it, so long as it is current and interesting. I know it probably interferes with your nap, but you can do that in your cabin (as he dons fire-resistant gear for what is likely to follow...)

Not sure about QV, but QM2 does have such. Thankfully. I understand your objection. But disagree, as I like some (current) music while on deck. You can always wear ear-plugs if you don't care for it. Many of us like it, so long as it is current and interesting. I know it probably interferes with your nap, but you can do that in your cabin (as he dons fire-resistant gear for what is likely to follow...)

When did you last go on the QM2? I don't remember any music on the decks or anywhere else, but the elevators in March. I believe music would bother me as well. I love the live music, but piped in music to enhance one's mood--how would you enjoy the sound of the sea pounding against the bow, or the wind whistling between the decks? My suggestion is that perhaps it is those who like that kind of music should wear earphones that play their kind of music, then everyone can listen to what the prefer.

All I can add is that I'm pretty sure there was piped music on QV during our cruise but it wasn't obtrusive and certainly didn't blight the cruise for us. In fact, it was so unobtrusive, I can't really remember for certain exactly how widespread it was. From memory it was only noticeable in certain areas of the outside decks but, no doubt, others will confirm or deny this.

J

All I can add is that I'm pretty sure there was piped music on QV during our cruise but it wasn't obtrusive and certainly didn't blight the cruise for us. In fact, it was so unobtrusive, I can't really remember for certain exactly how widespread it was. From memory it was only noticeable in certain areas of the outside decks but, no doubt, others will confirm or deny this.

J

Perhaps it was so unobtrusive that I was unable to hear it, and if that be the case, then let it play on.:)

When did you last go on the QM2? I don't remember any music on the decks or anywhere else, but the elevators in March. I believe music would bother me as well. I love the live music, but piped in music to enhance one's mood--how would you enjoy the sound of the sea pounding against the bow, or the wind whistling between the decks? My suggestion is that perhaps it is those who like that kind of music should wear earphones that play their kind of music, then everyone can listen to what the prefer.

QM2 February - I do remember music, but I could be wrong. Definately none on QE2 in April. I hear you about us who want music bringing our own, but I didn't start the debate, and as far as I am concerned, more who don't want the noise can make do with a $1 earplug than those who do, can with at $300 Ipod. Anyways, music, at least at sailaway, is good for revenue, so it will likely not stop!

QM2 February - I do remember music, but I could be wrong. Definately none on QE2 in April. I hear you about us who want music bringing our own, but I didn't start the debate, and as far as I am concerned, more who don't want the noise can make do with a $1 earplug than those who do, can with at $300 Ipod. Anyways, music, at least at sailaway, is good for revenue, so it will likely not stop!

But shouldn't that be live? The musicians union wouldn't like that? Oh, yes, I know, they don't hire union musicians? What happens when the Boston Pops Chamber players play, I am sure they are union members?

But shouldn't that be live? The musicians union wouldn't like that? Oh, yes, I know, they don't hire union musicians? What happens when the Boston Pops Chamber players play, I am sure they are union members?

I do believe they play in either the Queen's Room or the theater. That's the difference, the pool deck should be OK for some bubble gum pop/rap music. I know it inteferes with the naps, but times they are a changin'!

I do believe they play in either the Queen's Room or the theater. That's the difference, the pool deck should be OK for some bubble gum pop/rap music. I know it inteferes with the naps, but times they are a changin'!

OK, now you've gone too far--pop/rap--Ohhhhhhhh nnooooooooo!!!

My husband would go over the side of the ship, and I would follow!!!!

That's not unobtrusive!!!!

I am with you, and if you want to begin a petitiion, I for one will do my part.

Gail

Interesting spread of opinion...

Sailaway music I concur is agreeable. Ian McNaught played land of Hope and Glory, The National Anthem, and Jerusalem as we left Southampton in September ! One after the other. One little corner of the Empire remains, at least until November.

24hr corridor and deck music is NOT required however.

An interesting aside, we took a minicruise to Hamburg a few years ago (DFDS) and we were played up the Elbe estuary by several land stations for many miles out of our eventual port.

My point is we all have musical tastes, and unrequested music is, I think, going to diagree with more people at any one time than please them. As for pop and rap, this is CUNARD for heavens sake, not Easycruise.

I certainly don't remember any muzak on our cruise on QV last Christmas and New Year. Everything was set up so as not to distract from the ambience and style of Cunard's new ship - even a distinct lack of Christmas decorations. I can't imagine things have changed as far as the music is concerned.

There are opportunities all around the ship to listen to music to suit a variety of tastes. I always pack my i-pod when I cruise so that I can listen to music of my choosing. We have experienced muzak in the past, particularly around the pool area, on other cruise lines and probably will this week as we are about to sample the other end of Carnival's range in the shape of Ocean Village 2 - we head off tomorrow on their Villas and Vinos cruise round the Med.

Interesting to note Grimwheel, that you commented on the music Capt McNaught played on leaving Southampton. I thought he might have more important things to do like making sure the ship got away safely - maybe there's a job for him on Radio 2 when he finally retires - he could take over from Terry Wogan perhaps:D .

As I have said, I don't remember any musak, either.

There is quite a lot of live music to accommodate almost every taste--most taking place in the public spaces of the ships. And there is live music at sail-aways, on the decks which adds quite a little excitement, and gives the departure a party atmosphere. Beyond that, I would hope that any sounds would come from the atmosphere indigenous to a ship and the sea. I fear that piped in mood music would detract for the swells slapping against the hull, the lovely horn, the sound of the crew scrubbing and tapping and scraping in a rhythmic blend, the ship's flags flapping wildly in a gusty wind, even the sound of a heavy rain ticking against the deck, all which creates the evocative mood of a ship. And, afterall, isn't that what we love about Cunard--the ships?

There was piped in music in the public areas two weeks ago. Drove me crazy in the computer room!

On QV, on deck, you can escape to the blessed silence of the upper grills terrace. Otherwise, I believe the promenade deck is free of piped-in noise but it is an entirely unprepossessing space.

On QM2, the promenade deck is safe except around one of the pools.

The musak is an abomination and cannot be entirely abated by wearing earplugs.

To the original poster: best wishes on your crusade: it will be for the benefit of civilization in general.

I'm on the verge of booking a transatlantic for spring and am now getting concerned. Are the new Cunarders becoming Butlins at sea? "Good morning, campers, Hi De Hi!" I don't want to be one of the people who, being new to the QM2, will judge everything in comparison with the QE2. Piped-in music wouldn't be so bad if it was soothing, but it is almost always of the pop variety which I cannot and never could tolerate. Many restaurants and most stores and malls bombard us (at least here in Canada) with the most annoying racket at far too high volume. I hope it isn't really too bad on the QM2. I like Gregorian Chants (amongst other music types, of course - bagpipes anyone?) but I wouldn't impose that on other people, so I resent others imposing their tastes on me.

Yes, Gail, hip hop hip. Like Bobby Dylan and CMates say, " Times, they are a changin". Why, I remember when Gunther was lil Gunther there was only music in lift. Now it is everywhere. Anything so universal must be wonderful so why not have it all around great ship for all to be happy like gunther wonderful? g h for hip hop

Yes, Gail, hip hop hip. Like Bobby Dylan and CMates say, " Times, they are a changin". Why, I remember when Gunther was lil Gunther there was only music in lift. Now it is everywhere. Anything so universal must be wonderful so why not have it all around great ship for all to be happy like gunther wonderful? g h for hip hop

Is rap and hip hop hip the same? I thought it was different? I think rap has its place, but maybe a Cunard ship is not that place--I could be wrong, I was once.

I hope Cunard is not going the way of some of the other cruise lines.

I remember my last cruise on a 'non-Cunarder'. It was 2am, I took a late-night stroll around the deck. It was just me out there, the beautiful full moon, the crashing of the ocean waves, the hum of the ship's engines -- and Hall & Oates Eighties classic "Maneater" pumped through the on-deck speakers (I lost count at 30 speakers just on deck), played just loudly enough that I could not get away from it, and the waves could not drown it out (no pun intended)! Lovely.....

As a musician, I don't understand this notion that we passengers need to be lulled into a relaxed state on an otherwise relaxing ocean voyage or cruise, with muzak, or any other piped-in music played everywhere we go onboard.

hip hop, rap-- synonymous--Gunther not always right but never wrong.

gunther write rap good:

My name ain't Dale.

I love to fail.

I hang out down to the local jail.

You know I'm tuff. I look so ruff.

You wanna read more? Enough's enough. Agreed?

Pipe it in brothers and sisters!

gunther is bad to the bone! Buh buh buh Bad!!! gh

what does it take to have this type of music piped throughout great ship? gunther went to great strides to have cool cruisers comment on uncanny ability to compose contemporary melody to no apparent avail. What is up with that?

You can walk the decks.

You can feel the breeze,

but you can't make up rhymes like these! gunther

Archived