October weather

LindaKE

What kind of clothes should we pack for our mid October cruise? I know to dress in layers, but what about a coat? I checked the average temps, but know that on or near the water, it feels cooler than what I think of for the same temperatures at home. I read on the St. John FAQ that since it feels much colder near the water, "bring a warm jacket". Would that mean a down jacket or would that be too warm? Being from the deep south, I get cold more quickly than most people. What most people mean by "warm", isn't necessarily what I mean. On the other hand, I don't want to pack clothes that are too warm.

I'm remembering how cold we were in Alaska in mid May, but on that cruise, the temp never got above the mid forties, and the wind was ferocious. The averages in the New England / Canada area for October are in the fifties. But there is the wind to consider. Please help!

What kind of clothes should we pack for our mid October cruise? I know to dress in layers, but what about a coat? I checked the average temps, but know that on or near the water, it feels cooler than what I think of for the same temperatures at home. I read on the St. John FAQ that since it feels much colder near the water, "bring a warm jacket". Would that mean a down jacket or would that be too warm? Being from the deep south, I get cold more quickly than most people. What most people mean by "warm", isn't necessarily what I mean. On the other hand, I don't want to pack clothes that are too warm.

I'm remembering how cold we were in Alaska in mid May, but on that cruise, the temp never got above the mid forties, and the wind was ferocious. The averages in the New England / Canada area for October are in the fifties. But there is the wind to consider. Please help!

The last few days in Saint John have been in the forties, with frost occuring overnight. I have been wearing a quilted jacket with a sweater underneath and have been quite comfortable. I would think that within 10 days or so I will switch to a winter jacket.

You would probably want a winter jacket and toque at sea if you are cruising in the next week or so. It will be much colder at sea.

We did this trip last year (as a matter of fact, we came home right about now). I will tell you that we were very happy that we had brought our "Alaska gear" (ear muffs, hats, gloves, thin thermals, fleece lined - hooded waterproof jackets, etc). There were a couple of ports where we saw people get to the center atrium wearing a thin sweater and the BLAST of cold from the gangway would hit them and they would turn around to go get something warmer to wear. Our weather last year at times was more bone chilling cold then the May Alaska weather we had and you're leaving later then we did. Have a great time - we loved this trip and hope to go back soon.

Tammy

Archived