Holiday Review

No doubt, she's an old girl but still manages to kick up her heels!

This was our second cruise on Holiday in three years. It's a "Girl's Cruise" and we were 9 this year, ranging in age from 32-52.

Embarkation: was painless. Got there later than I would have liked but it only took us an hour to get on the ship. We were on the Lido at 12:50. Went to our rooms around 3 and luggage arrived shortly thereafter.

Cabins: Comfortable as always. The infamous brown water was there throughout our cruise. I can't say we were happy about it but it didn't bother me at all. I don't drink it and I felt clean so I was happy. :D . First sea day we had a few tense hours when most of the toliets on Riviera weren't flushing but it was repaired in about two hours. We had to tell our steward to check on our water pressure in the shower the same day. We had a slow trickle and could get a little bit of stream on the hot side but it was too hot to stand under! I used a glass from the sink to wash my hair. Hey, I don't sweat the small stuff!

Dining Room: Had dinner there every night. I miss the escargo! I enjoyed dinner every evening. I can't say the food was simply outstanding but I can't complain. Service was very good.

Outside Areas: The kiddie pool was closed throughout the cruise because even the big pools were "wave pools"! The big pools were closed on our last sea day as well. It was very windy and cloudy. The hot tubs were comfortable and while I saw a few kids in them now and again, I figured it wasn't hurting because they were well behaved, not in there long and they didn't have a pool!

Shows: I don't usually do the shows but we saw Shout for reasons I will tell you about later. The lead singers were wonderful, the show was fun, music and singing outstanding, costumes and sets colorful and fun, loved the choreography. I really enjoyed it and was glad I went. Some of our group saw Brad Tasel. Teresa and I worked at a Comedy Club where she still works in dinner theatre. She's a little immune to comedy as her husband does stand up and she sees a lot but she really enjoyed Brad's show.

Karaoke: Two of our girl's sang so we had fun there a couple of nights. Hey, karaoke is karaoke. My girl's rocked, of course.

Timmy Pierce: We were walking past the Bus Stop one night and passed a young man with a guitar. I stopped and stared, amazed at how good he was. We met the rest of our group and danced in Reflections for a bit. I left with Cheryl as I wanted to go back to watch Timmy. He is an outstanding musician and doesn't belong on a Cruise Ship! As soon as he gets his break, you'll be hearing him on the radio, no doubt. We had great fun listening and talking to Timmy throughout our cruise and bought his CD. Oh, and he's dating the lead singer in Shout, Hazel, so we promised to check her out! Two very talented young people!

Ship: There were white caps in the sea throughout our voyage and while it wasn't "rough" the ship was rocking more than I remembered on our first cruise. It didnt bother most but one was seasick and got meds through room service which helped.

Cozumel: We booked an independent excursion to Pasion Isle through Tourcozumel. A FABULOUS time was had by all! See my review on the Coz board.

Overall: The ship was clean but you can't clean worn carpets. Didn't bother me but I noticed. We were teasing about the lack of good looking folks on board. Course, we're not gorgeous so it was mostly teasing:p . But, I have to say that this is a ship, particularly during the off season when prices are CHEAP, that appeals to family reunions and lots of folks that are looking for a CHEAP vacation like we were. Not the classiest bunch of folks I'd ever seen but like I told our girls "if you want class, you're gonna have to pay more than $250.00! And, coming from a long line of "red necks" and damn proud of it, I felt right at home! Friendly folks having a good time, it don't get better than that!

Coming off the Fantasy last year, I did notice the smaller size more this time than the first. Elevators are smaller, sun deck area smaller, etc. I miss having the grill on the Lido deck area. But, I didn't miss the bigger size much.

We all agreed the Holiday is a fine ship and we couldn't beat the price. We didn't regret sailing her but are looking forward to Fantasy next year!

However, I'm trying to talk DH into a January cruise and it'll be between those two, I'd sail Holiday again if the timing and price is right!

That's awesome,,,glad you had a wonderful time, and kept your expectations where they should have been,,,,

I saw her years ago, and sounds like she may have suffered a bit,,,but as you say,,,,if the price is right, and the company is good, the trip is fun!!!

Holly

Since Fall '06. I'll miss her when she's gone. I've other cruzes in between, but mobile, I can be there in 98 miles! Glad u had a great cruze. Lucky

Hi Judi,

Even with 16 cruises, you can only say you have been on her only twice as much as me. :eek: Have a safe trip. We will be on the Fantasy in another 10 days.

Dave

Hi to Michelle, I enjoyed our chats. Going to Mobile on Fri, to spend the day with C'monnnn, Becka. Her birthday will be whilst I'm at sea, so we 3 girls will go to South China for crab leggggggs for dinner to celebrate. She is working diligently to get her US work visa, to work as Head of the cruise Dept at Springdale Travel. Find "Ritchie Rich", the Trivia Guy, and ask him how he's doing with the list of new questions I gave him. My ship on a stick family is now Mommy, Daddy, and 3 chillun, with 2 grand medals. You are prolly waay ahead of me in that count. I only have 2 more booked at this time, but will calenderize my life in '09 soon. Hubby is being made Director of Education and Certifications for the airline..so he is jazzed over that. It was great to cruze again with you and the lovely "M"...j

Hi to Michelle, I enjoyed our chats. Going to Mobile on Fri, to spend the day with C'monnnn, Becka. Her birthday will be whilst I'm at sea, so we 3 girls will go to South China for crab leggggggs for dinner to celebrate. She is working diligently to get her US work visa, to work as Head of the cruise Dept at Springdale Travel. Find "Ritchie Rich", the Trivia Guy, and ask him how he's doing with the list of new questions I gave him. My ship on a stick family is now Mommy, Daddy, and 3 chillun, with 2 grand medals. You are prolly waay ahead of me in that count. I only have 2 more booked at this time, but will calenderize my life in '09 soon. Hubby is being made Director of Education and Certifications for the airline..so he is jazzed over that. It was great to cruze again with you and the lovely "M"...j

Hi Judy,

Ask Becka did she ever receive the 8x10 we had left for her on the Holiday. We had missed her by one week. It was a photo of her and Maya. They said they were going to forward it to her.

Dave

Donna - why no escargot? We had it in September - can't remember which night.

I love your attitude - a little brown water, a little rough seas - but it's still a cruise!

I'm heading out on my 4th cruise on her in December - taking family who have either never cruised at all - or never cruised on the Holiday -

LassieinGA - Holiday is leaving Mobile in November 2009 - Carnival is moving the Fantasy to Mobile from New Orleans -

Is the Holiday leaving Mobile? When? Another ship coming to that port? I haven't sailed out of there, but was hoping to soon! (Sorry if this is old news.....)

Yes, the HOLIDAY is leaving next year. Scuttlebutt has the FANTASY takeing her itinerary.

Donna - why no escargot? We had it in September - can't remember which night.

I love your attitude - a little brown water, a little rough seas - but it's still a cruise!

Kim,

The menus were changed when they went to only two dining times. A lot of items no longer on the menu. Plus a lot of dishes now share the same side items.

Yes, the HOLIDAY is leaving next year. Scuttlebutt has the FANTASY takeing her itinerary.

Clackey,

Considering I am booked on the first sailing on the Fantasy leaving out of Mobile, I would say it is no longer scuttlebutt. :p

Dave

ok...I could deal with a little aged interior stuff like worn carpet...I could deal with a limited dinner menu...I could even deal with low water pressure as long as it was repaired fairly quickly...but brown water!? :eek: I am not sure I could abide by that...what's the deal with the brown water?

[quote name=jetskier;16795960

Considering I am booked on the first sailing on the Fantasy leaving out of Mobile' date=' I would say it is no longer scuttlebutt. :p

Dave[/quote]

Hey Dave

Wonder why no posts on our thread lately. Do you think we scared others.:p :confused:

Sarah

Also one question about the brown water. Does it clear up after a while?

I think that depends on your cabin. Ours didn't clear up no matter how long you ran the water. There wasn't an odor and I found it refreshing and felt clean so no big whoop. You know, we paid $249 for four nights OV....I just didn't worry about brown water! It bothered some of our group more than others but nobody was terribly bent out of shape! Oh, and we did brush our teeth with bottled water:D .

I truly missed the escargo but the stuffed mushrooms were wonderful!

Clackey,

Considering I am booked on the first sailing on the Fantasy leaving out of Mobile, I would say it is no longer scuttlebutt. :p

Dave

Hey Dave,

I knew that it was true, I just wanted to see if I could spell scuttlebutt.:D Who is scuttlebutt anyway? Who would name their kid scuttlebutt? Didn't his parents like him. Is scuttlebutt a him or her? See what you got started.;)

We may have to book the Fantasy too. I just wish that there were different itineraries.

Kim,

The menus were changed when they went to only two dining times. A lot of items no longer on the menu. Plus a lot of dishes now share the same side items.

Hmmm - they had already gone to the two dining times when we went in September - but we did have escargot. Wonder what was up with that? DH and I love to eat those little snails!! We'll miss them when we go in December -

On one of our Big Red Boat cruises, we toured Atlantis and got to pet a conch. That night on board, we had conch chowder and escargot - lots of jokes about going from big snails to little snails!

Archived