Help me to understand

mcnabb3801

If you put a credit card down for your sail and sign acct...they put a $400 hold on your cc (2 people 7 day cruise)...then everything you purchase that week there is an authorization put on your card then at the end of the cruise they charge your total balance for the week....Doesnt this mean that you will have an authorization for all of your charges + your deposit then the total charges...its almost as if you will have to hav edouble the amount available on your card. I thought they auth the deposit then charge the total balance at the end of the cruise..Someone please help.......

Not to throw a wrench in this but if you have funship dollars how do they credi tthat to your acct? Deposit + Funship Dollars (credit on acct) then once you have a balance thats charged?

Stacey

If you put a credit card down for your sail and sign acct...they put a $400 hold on your cc (2 people 7 day cruise)...then everything you purchase that week there is an authorization put on your card then at the end of the cruise they charge your total balance for the week....Doesnt this mean that you will have an authorization for all of your charges + your deposit then the total charges...its almost as if you will have to hav edouble the amount available on your card. I thought they auth the deposit then charge the total balance at the end of the cruise..Someone please help.......

Not to throw a wrench in this but if you have funship dollars how do they credi tthat to your acct? Deposit + Funship Dollars (credit on acct) then once you have a balance thats charged?

Stacey

example.. if your total on board expenses including tips comes to 280 bucks.. out of the 400 hold ... 120 will not be charged on the last day... Your credit card will only be charged the $280.

Funship dollars I have no idea ;(

What if you want more or less held? For instance, DH and I are going to prepay for our excursions, so we may not NEED as much as 400.00 held,,,or we may decide to hold MORE than 400.00 (OK, so I plan on quite a few fru-fru drinks on my vacation,,,no alcoholic here, but hey, I'm on vacation and I don't hafta drive!!!),,,,can you adjust the amount held?? Or do they automatically hold 400.00,,,,

Also, our cruise is 5 nights,,,,do they still hold 400.00?? Thanks,,,,,Holly

Not my area, but I do not think either post # 1 or post #2 is correct.

My understanding is that they would get an authorization [hold] of up to $400. Then if your charges approach $400. they would increase the authorization/hold.

But when the actual charges are put thru, the charges replace an equal amount of hold.

Say a hold of $400. Then $300 in actual charges are submitted. The $300 in charges replace $300 in 'hold' so the account wold show a hold of $100 remaining until CCL released the hold.

And I could be 100% wrong, its happened before!:o

Dan

Thanks for the reply..

As it was explained ot me intially I thought they put a $400 hold on the card for the deposit (doesnt drop off until 72 hours after the cruise ends) then ontop of that they charge the total charges for the week..

Example:

$400 Deposit (Authorization on card) + $680 is the total bill for the week = $1,080 Authorization on the card until the $400 drops off 72 hours after.

The way you are explaining it sounds logical but Carnival expalined it differently Im so confused... then ontop of this their site - where your profile is is so confusing....

Stacey

Using the example of a seven day cruise they will put a $200/pp hold on your card for each individual account. If your account and your wife's account are separate folio numbers it would total $400 between the two of you.

I prefer to not have any debt when I leave the ship. There's a couple ways to accomplish this. Either put cash on your account to begin with or pay off your balance in cash on the last night of the cruise.

I generally have some kind of on board credit so I often will add cash to my account in the weeks before I sail.

On my last cruise I had $1000 in OBC (between price reductions and cash I had put on the account) and came home with a check for $461...

Fairly painless, for me at least...

Thanks Mach..let me see If I understand correctly..

A hold of $400 will be put on our card....then the Funship Dollars we have will be applied as a credit to our OBC then anything over and above the credit will be charged at the end of the cruise to the card?

Where I am particularly confused is once you run out of th ecredit on yoru account and the cc is charged is there an authorization out on th ecard and the charge at the end of the cruise then 72 hours later after cruise ends the auth drops off or is the balancce charged at the end reduced by deposit auth amnt?

Example: $400 hold on cc...total balance over and above credits is $600..Would they auth the $400 then pntop of that auth/charge $600..leaving the card with actually having a $1000 hold on it

Too complicated for me..... I just give them a c.card with a high limit and don;t worry about it... when I get the c.card bill I pay it off in full. But to each his or her own.

I dont worry about it either.. My husband does when we get home LOL:p

Thanks Mach..let me see If I understand correctly..

A hold of $400 will be put on our card....then the Funship Dollars we have will be applied as a credit to our OBC then anything over and above the credit will be charged at the end of the cruise to the card?

Where I am particularly confused is once you run out of th ecredit on yoru account and the cc is charged is there an authorization out on th ecard and the charge at the end of the cruise then 72 hours later after cruise ends the auth drops off or is the balancce charged at the end reduced by deposit auth amnt?

Example: $400 hold on cc...total balance over and above credits is $600..Would they auth the $400 then pntop of that auth/charge $600..leaving the card with actually having a $1000 hold on it

That has happened but only rarely. Normally, if your total charges are $600 that's what will appear on the card including the $400 hold not $600 PLUS the $400 hold...

I plan on using a debit card with a mastercard logo,,,any problem with this? DH and I have been saving for MONTHS in that acct and have built up a pretty nice "cruise spending fund",,,,DH doesnt' care if it takes 10 days to get back to us, he just doesn't want to have CC debt from this cruise,,,

I've finished my Xmas shopping (wrapped too!) without one credit card purchase, and that is a miracle,,,,never happened before, so he doesn't want to TOUCH the zero balance CC's for this trip,,,,,

Holly

Too complicated for me..... I just give them a c.card with a high limit and don;t worry about it... when I get the c.card bill I pay it off in full. But to each his or her own.

Ditto! If I was that tight on funds I don't think I'd be going on a cruise!

I plan on using a debit card with a mastercard logo,,,any problem with this? DH and I have been saving for MONTHS in that acct and have built up a pretty nice "cruise spending fund",,,,DH doesnt' care if it takes 10 days to get back to us, he just doesn't want to have CC debt from this cruise,,,

I've finished my Xmas shopping (wrapped too!) without one credit card purchase, and that is a miracle,,,,never happened before, so he doesn't want to TOUCH the zero balance CC's for this trip,,,,,

Holly

I never use a debit card... to much chance for fraudulant charges and or someone getting a hold of that card and draining your account.... for me it's a c.card only ! Makes life simpler for my accounting. :rolleyes:

Ditto! If I was that tight on funds I don't think I'd be going on a cruise!

It may not be a tight on funds issue... some folks just dont like to use c.cards for fear of spending beyond their means. It's all about using a c.ard to your advantage and paying it off when the statement arrives. I was once told by my father that it doesnt matter if the interest rate is 0% or 50%... if you pay it off always in full... it doesnt really matter as you never pay interest and use the c.card to YOUR advantage ! :)

I also dont think this post is about "tight funds' - just simply looking for clarification on soemthing that I have gotten several different versions of from Carnival employees. Authorizations..charges seem to be a difficult thing to explain/understand

It may not be a tight on funds issue... some folks just dont like to use c.cards for fear of spending beyond their means. It's all about using a c.ard to your advantage and paying it off when the statement arrives. I was once told by my father that it doesnt matter if the interest rate is 0% or 50%... if you pay it off always in full... it doesnt really matter as you never pay interest and use the c.card to YOUR advantage ! :)

Yep, that's what we do every month anyway. We had a conversation with someone about interest rates and he was afraid his CC rate would go up with the economy and asked what rate was on our most used card, and I had to say that I didn't even know since I kept no balance on it. But by using it, I get real cash back from my CC company every 2-3 months, such a deal!

I also dont think this post is about "tight funds' - just simply looking for clarification on soemthing that I have gotten several different versions of from Carnival employees. Authorizations..charges seem to be a difficult thing to explain/understand

I suppose, but I have never in all my years of having CC's thought about authorization amounts or holds or anything like that, so it was just strange to me, oh well, I'll stop now.

Thanks for the reply..

As it was explained ot me intially I thought they put a $400 hold on the card for the deposit (doesnt drop off until 72 hours after the cruise ends) then ontop of that they charge the total charges for the week..

Example:

$400 Deposit (Authorization on card) + $680 is the total bill for the week = $1,080 Authorization on the card until the $400 drops off 72 hours after.

The way you are explaining it sounds logical but Carnival expalined it differently Im so confused... then ontop of this their site - where your profile is is so confusing....

Stacey

This is exactly how my charges were done. They had an initial authorization and when we got close to that amount, they requested another authorization. When we got home, I logged on to my credit card account and the actual charges and both the initial authorization requests were on hold. When Carnival actually billed the true charges, that amount fell off of the authorization, but the first 2 authorizations were held for a couple of days before they were released.

It made my account look like they were double billing, so I called my credit card company. They called Carnival and then explained it to me. At first, they wanted to cancel the card because they thought someone else was using it.

Archived