Bringing gifts in?

samee612

One of our cruise stops next month is Barbados.We have Bajan a family we've gotten close to and would like to bring some stuff for them(actually,a suitcase full :some clothing,food,toys and toiletries)Will the customs guy give us a problem or is this ok?Thanks for any input....

One of our cruise stops next month is Barbados.We have Bajan a family we've gotten close to and would like to bring some stuff for them(actually,a suitcase full :some clothing,food,toys and toiletries)Will the customs guy give us a problem or is this ok?Thanks for any input....

You will have to declare all items and most likely you will be charged duty on some of the items like toys. I took one small moulded statue 2 weeks ago as a gift for a cousin (through the airport) and had to pay duty. It all depends on the customs official you meet and the kind of day he is having. To be safe, expect to pay some duty.

The port customs clearance is a little different than the airport in that they , in my opinion, aren't as hard when it comes to bringing things in. You are a tourist and yes you need tell the officer the purpose of bringing these in, but just be honest.. This is the only time you are coming into Barbados before Christmas, and these things are presents for a family that you know, previous visit etc.

and Goneclear.. if it had been me.. I would have left that small statue buried in my suitcase and said nothing..

Archived