The weekly "formal dress question" thread:

x-press

[quote name='Sea Born']Women can rent formal wear on the cruise ship, but they only carry long skirts & blouses. Not sure how much the rental charge is, but it would cover all formal nights on that cruise. On the Liberty cruise ship, I believe the rental charge for a tux was apprx $75. Hope this helps![/quote]

Was the $75 for the whole cruise or for a single formal night?

J

[quote name='garigoun']I sincerely hope you are not referring to WRIST WATCH. On a formal evening!!! And as an aside it should be 'how one wears one's watch'.
Gari[/quote]

Gari - you do not want to play the nitpick game with me. You may, but mind your posts in the future.

[quote name='garigoun']Hardly a 'ripping to shreds' SMNYC. Just a gentle tease in keeping with the general mocking tone of my previous threads. Surely you should know me and my attitude to pedantry better than that by now. HOWEVER, if you were offended, upset,furious and generally 'T' d off gometro , "Sorry mate".
Gari[/quote]

And yes, Gometros, if you didn't see his apology, here it is. And I believe, for Gari, that is quite heartfelt.

Now, for the comment you made about me, I took exception to that!!! You are a Yank and so am I. I had never heard of Guy Fawkes and you had--so what? Does that make me stupider than you. I don't think so!:)

[quote name='The Real PM']And yes, Gometros, if you didn't see his apology, here it is. And I believe, for Gari, that is quite heartfelt.

Now, for the comment you made about me, I took exception to that!!! You are a Yank and so am I. I had never heard of Guy Fawkes and you had--so what? Does that make me stupider than you. I don't think so!:)[/quote]

You're right, of course. I was in a pissy mood as my Cowboys were getting trounced by the Giants. Never post to a thread when your team is losing.

[SIZE=1]For you Brits, those aren't some characters from a weird western. They are teams from American football. Not as glamorous as Hammers or Gunners, mind you, but names all the same.[/SIZE]

[quote name='gometros']You're right, of course. I was in a pissy mood as my Cowboys were getting trounced by the Giants. Never post to a thread when your team is losing.

[SIZE=1]For you Brits, those aren't some characters from a weird western. They are teams from American football. Not as glamorous as Hammers or Gunners, mind you, but names all the same.[/SIZE][/quote]

Thank you.:) Now you can probably understand how I felt when Tom Brady got hit in the first quarter of the first game this season.:eek:

[quote name='garigoun']Quite, gometros wrote.

I replied in terms of wondering amazment that I hoped he was not contemplating wearing a WRIST WATCH with formal dress.

Obviously if one wears a timepiece at all to a formal occasion on a ship, and why would one unless one happens to be Cinderella, then it should be one's dress hunter or at the very least a half hunter. The watch should be carried in the left hand pocket of one's vest on a SLENDER Albert, not some vulgar cable suitable for anchoring a small boat. Seals, coins, medals, fobs etc while not actually forbidden are not to be encouraged. One should practice assiduously the action of taking out the watch, opening the case and closing it again and returning it to the pocket in one smooth action using only the forefinger and thumb of the right hand.

I refrain from commenting on Argyll socks. Some things are not for discussion in polite society or even on this board.
Gari[/quote]

If drop dead gorgeous Daniel Craig (aka BOND....JAMES BOND) can wear a watch (Rolex submariner or omega) with his formal wear (Tom Ford) anyone can :D

[quote name='BritNavyGal']If drop dead gorgeous Daniel Craig (aka BOND....JAMES BOND) can wear a watch (Rolex submariner or omega) with his formal wear (Tom Ford) anyone can :D[/quote]

Of course they can. Whether they should or no is a different matter.
[IMG]http://boards.cruisecritic.com/images/icons/icon7.gif[/IMG] Gari

[quote name='garigoun']Of course they can. Whether they should or no is a different matter.
[IMG]http://boards.cruisecritic.com/images/icons/icon7.gif[/IMG] Gari[/quote]

Why should women get to wear jewellery and I can't:(
Glenn.

[quote name='nitwit']Why should women get to wear jewellery and I can't:(
Glenn.[/quote]

[I][COLOR=blue]Why couldn't you? A very refined and elegant gentleman of my acquaintance wears stunning but discrete studs and cufflinks made of platinum and diamants.[/COLOR][/I]
[I][COLOR=#0000ff][/COLOR][/I]
[I][COLOR=#0000ff]The key--as in everything--is in moderation. "In your face" has never, in my opinion, been the mark of a gentleman.[/COLOR][/I]

[quote name='NomDePlume'][I][COLOR=blue]Why couldn't you? A very refined and elegant gentleman of my acquaintance wears stunning but discrete studs and cufflinks made of platinum and [COLOR=red]diamants[/COLOR].[/COLOR][/I]

[I][COLOR=#0000ff]The key--as in everything--is in moderation. "In your face" has never, in my opinion, been the mark of a gentleman.[/COLOR][/I][/quote]

[I][COLOR=blue]Sorry--sometimes hard to switch from French back to English: that should have read "diamonds", of course... :p[/COLOR][/I]

[quote name='Porthopper2008']Hi Glenn,

When I first met my husband of five years, he wore a lot of jewelry. Into the relationship, I told him he looked like a ****.[/quote]

I class my watches as jewellery. Other than that I only wear my wedding ring. Obviously cufflinks and sometimes shirt studs but that's it. I've never looked like a ****:confused:
Glenn.

[quote name='nitwit']I class my watches as jewellery. Other than that I only wear my wedding ring. Obviously cufflinks and sometimes shirt studs but that's it. I've never looked like a ****:confused:
Glenn.[/quote]

Glenn, from all the photos I've seen you always look very properly attired, and if I might add, in a fine way with your fine watches!

[quote name='Wheretonext???']Glenn, from all the photos I've seen you always look very properly attired, and if I might add, in a fine way with your fine watches![/quote]

Thank you darling,
I can always rely on you.
Glenn xx

[quote name='Wheretonext???']Glenn, from all the photos I've seen you always look very properly attired, and if I might add, in a fine way with your fine watches![/quote]

I'm not so sure. The avatar is very small but do I detect a [COLOR=red]C[/COLOR][COLOR=darkorange]O[/COLOR][COLOR=olive]L[/COLOR][COLOR=blue]O[/COLOR][COLOR=purple]U[/COLOR][COLOR=magenta]R[/COLOR][COLOR=navy]E[/COLOR][COLOR=red]D[/COLOR] bowtie?
Gari

[quote name='garigoun']Not so B.Belle.

Oslo Dutch wrote on another thread.

[I][U][B]' I have seen enough tarty glittery dresses combined with tattoos and pints of lager at the dinner table.' [/B][/U][/I]

So make a note B.B. Order your lager in 1/2 pints and cover up your tattoos. As for the tarty glittery dresses, well just make sure the Balmain or Y.S.L. label is visible and all will be forgiven.

At least if someone is drinking lager at the dinner table then the rest of his/her dining companions won't have to endure some pretentious dipstick sniffing and swirling and having whispered conflabs with the Sommelier. This to be followed by a slurp and very audible comments to his/her companion on the subtle notes of tobacco, strawberries, and what a good nose and a fine finish etc. etc.by the oenophile manqué.

[COLOR=black]"Mmmm. Mmmmm. Oh yes my deah, quite acceptable. From a tiny vinyard in Alsace you know, southwestern slopes I believe, Mmmm, yes, yes definately southwest, chalky soil of course, goes without saying, a somewhat immature and mischievious little quaffer but I think you will be amused by it's presumption"[/COLOR]

All this for a fifteen quid bottle of plonk.
Gari.

PS If memory serves I think the Norwegian king was a tattoo fan way back when.[/QUOTE]
damn, so my pint of Boddies and BFC tattoo won't help then?

[quote name='garigoun']I'm not so sure. The avatar is very small but do I detect a [COLOR=red]C[/COLOR][COLOR=darkorange]O[/COLOR][COLOR=olive]L[/COLOR][COLOR=blue]O[/COLOR][COLOR=purple]U[/COLOR][COLOR=magenta]R[/COLOR][COLOR=navy]E[/COLOR][COLOR=red]D[/COLOR] bowtie?
Gari[/quote]

Haha, I have a two year old, it's Winnie the Pooh.
He likes it.
Glenn.

[quote name='nitwit']Haha, I have a two year old, it's Winnie the Pooh.
He likes it.
Glenn.[/quote]

Oh sorry, that one's not. (different picture)
That bow tie matches my wife's dress.
I have a bow tie for every colour dress my wife has.
She chooses them, you argue with her!
Glenn.

Archived