The weekly "formal dress question" thread:

x-press

No-one has a go at women wearing the wrong shoes, or whatever - !

Not so B.Belle.

Oslo Dutch wrote on another thread.

' I have seen enough tarty glittery dresses combined with tattoos and pints of lager at the dinner table.'

So make a note B.B. Order your lager in 1/2 pints and cover up your tattoos. As for the tarty glittery dresses, well just make sure the Balmain or Y.S.L. label is visible and all will be forgiven.

At least if someone is drinking lager at the dinner table then the rest of his/her dining companions won't have to endure some pretentious dipstick sniffing and swirling and having whispered conflabs with the Sommelier. This to be followed by a slurp and very audible comments to his/her companion on the subtle notes of tobacco, strawberries, and what a good nose and a fine finish etc. etc.by the oenophile manqué.

"Mmmm. Mmmmm. Oh yes my deah, quite acceptable. From a tiny vinyard in Alsace you know, southwestern slopes I believe, Mmmm, yes, yes definately southwest, chalky soil of course, goes without saying, a somewhat immature and mischievious little quaffer but I think you will be amused by it's presumption"

All this for a fifteen quid bottle of plonk.

Gari.

PS If memory serves I think the Norwegian king was a tattoo fan way back when.

Well, some ladies are more concerned with just being appropriate as opposed to being a fashion icon. The latter need no advice I can give - they know quite well what they're doing. :D

Well, thank you Buddy, but I am not really a fashion icon. The four formal gowns, I found easier to take because I haven't yet figured out how to be creative with my clothing. :)

On our upcoming cruise we have 3 formal nights, (two of which are back to back), 4 semi formal and 3 elegant casual, or maybe it's 4 elegant casual and 3 semi formal.:rolleyes:

I will take two formal dresses, but only because there are two formal nights in a row. If they were spread out, I'd probably only take one. I will take 4 cocktail dresses, and 2 tea or "afternoon" type dresses. I can always use a cocktail dress during an elegant casual evening. I have no problems wearing the same dress more than once, just not two evenings in a row.

Fixed that for you.

Personally, I have the British viewpoint in that a wing collar should only be worn with white tie. I'm aware that in the americas black tie and wing collar is acceptable, but the "ring around the collar" look makes my teeth hurt. :D

I must be a backward American then, since I only wear a wing collar with an adjustable tie. Never learned to tie one of those. I admit it looks cool when James Bond does it, but I'm not James Bond.

I must be a backward American then, since I only wear a wing collar with an adjustable tie. Never learned to tie one of those. I admit it looks cool when James Bond does it, but I'm not James Bond.
Sandy, I certainly wouldn't call it backwards since it's quite acceptable in the americas to wear black tie and a wing collar. As for the adjustable buckle, even most self-tie ties are adjustable unless they are made to size, which is quite rare over here.

I hide the buckles by wearing a lay-down collar instead, which also hides the black ring-around-the-collar, but I am aware some folks prefer that look. Classicly and traditionally, the wing collar was only used for white tie, but black tie started creeping in, in the americas mainly, 80 or 90 years ago.

Sandy, I certainly wouldn't call it backwards since it's quite acceptable in the americas to wear black tie and a wing collar. As for the adjustable buckle, even most self-tie ties are adjustable unless they are made to size, which is quite rare over here.

But the wing collared shirt, along with the adjustable bow tie, is what is pushed upon high school boys, when they go to the tuxedo rental shop for their outfit for the prom. In many cases, here in the US, that will be the first, and often only time, they will wear a tuxedo until they, or a friend, gets married. And then, they often are given the same advice, from the same old tuxedo rental guy, who suggests a wing collared shirt with an adjustable bow tie. So when the gentleman, finally, gets dressed up for a formal affair on a Cunard ship, he is certain that the wing collared shirt with the adjustable bow tie is very appropriate. And ignorance is bliss!!!:)

Regarding the tux purchase versus rental, I'd still lean toward renting on this trip, even if I did have use for it on a yearly basis. This way, it will be gone and out of mind once we are over in Europe (we're not just turning around and coming back). That's one of the beauties, I think, of a real "voyage" instead of a "cruise." I'm sure there's some way I could just store it or send it back, but it seems like a hassle I'd pay a bit extra to avoid. We'll have enough planning to do for this trip!

Many, many thanks to everyone. I plan to print this whole thread, and use it as a reference as the trip inches closer! Guess I've got a couple years to learn how to tie a bow . . . should be able to figure that out with some online tutorials. :D

Regarding the tux purchase versus rental, I'd still lean toward renting on this trip, even if I did have use for it on a yearly basis. This way, it will be gone and out of mind once we are over in Europe (we're not just turning around and coming back). That's one of the beauties, I think, of a real "voyage" instead of a "cruise." I'm sure there's some way I could just store it or send it back, but it seems like a hassle I'd pay a bit extra to avoid. We'll have enough planning to do for this trip!

Many, many thanks to everyone. I plan to print this whole thread, and use it as a reference as the trip inches closer! Guess I've got a couple years to learn how to tie a bow . . . should be able to figure that out with some online tutorials. :D

Here are instructions for tying a bowtie!

Download as pdf - 148k

But the wing collared shirt, along with the adjustable bow tie, is what is pushed upon high school boys, when they go to the tuxedo rental shop for their outfit for the prom. In many cases, here in the US, that will be the first, and often only time, they will wear a tuxedo until they, or a friend, gets married. And then, they often are given the same advice, from the same old tuxedo rental guy, who suggests a wing collared shirt with an adjustable bow tie. So when the gentleman, finally, gets dressed up for a formal affair on a Cunard ship, he is certain that the wing collared shirt with the adjustable bow tie is very appropriate. And ignorance is bliss!!!:)

And there's the rub. Most of us Joe plumber types, only get to wear a tux at a wedding. I haven't been to any state dinners recently and a night at t he opera isn't as formal as it used to be. Until I became popular, I wasn't invited to maybe one or two weddings a year, so it didn't make sense to own a tux. So I wore what the local rent-a-tux shop gave me. When I went and bought my first tux, I just took what I knew and continued the pattern. Now that I got a gist of the attitudes on this board, I will refrain from asking if my Mickey Mouse bow tie and cummerbund combo is appropriate :D

Now that I got a gist of the attitudes on this board, I will refrain from asking if my Mickey Mouse bow tie and cummerbund combo is appropriate :D

Sir, it would be quite appropriate if you were entertaining the children at a birthday fete onboard.

Hi, My partner and i are sailing on the Queen Victoria on a 28 day cruise from Sydney to Singapore in Feb 09. Should i assume that i will also require a formal long gown?

I haven't worn a dress in years, prefering pants or a skirt if i really must...Looks like i better get a formal gown. The post xmas sales better be good!

[quote name='gometros'][quote name='The Real PM']Now that I got a gist of the attitudes on this board, I will refrain from asking if my Mickey Mouse bow tie and cummerbund combo is appropriate :D[/quote]

Why?

Can't see a problem if the Mickey Mouse bow tie is hand tied ;)

And we've seen some odd cummerbunds on here as well - there may even still be a photograph around somewhere.

Norfolkbrit may remember where it is.

J

[quote name='Norfolk Brit']How did you suddenly become popular? Bafflingly, I find myself deeply unpopular, and need to know.

Please advise urgently.

Sir Martin[/quote]

Well, Sir M, it may be that as he advanced in his career, he had more disposable income to devote to gifts for the bride and groom and thus his desirability as a guest went up.:D

Something you would not likely experience since, where items of value are concerned, you always take (or try to) and never give.

[quote name='Cruachan']

And we've seen some odd cummerbunds on here as well - there may even still be a photograph around somewhere.

J[/quote]

Nah, the old trout's memory's gone, but did you mean my rather spiffing avatar?

Chill, Nalcoln

[quote name='Cruachan'][quote name='gometros']

Why?

J[/quote]

Here is a video of how to tie a bow tie.

[URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6oFARi_z2M#"][IMG]http://s.ytimg.com/yt/img/pixel-vfl73.gif[/IMG][COLOR=#000000]Copy and paste this link into an email or instant message [/COLOR][/URL]

[quote name='pnhnrk']Cool.
All you meed is love,
Nalcoln[/quote]

Nay lad, Nay, all tha needs is a colour blindness test.

That is quite the most shocking thing I have seen in a very, very long time, quite put me off my cocoa. Please, please tell me it was a fancy dress occasion or some [I]Theatrical event.[/I] Do you not realise sir that there are people who visit this board for sartorial advice? What are they to think? Did we gain and lose an Empire for this? Was it all for nothing? There are people visiting who have met Gordon Brown and he's a Scotsman for goodness sake. The thing that hurts most sir, the thing that cuts the deepest, that gives one cause for despair, hand-wringing, teethgnashing, hair-tearing and clothes rending is the fact .....Oh God I can hardly bring myself to voice it on paper the worst thing of all Sir, is that you are actually smiling while sporting, (I cannot use the verb 'to wear' in this instance) while sporting Sir, that emerald abomination. Fie for shame Sirrah. For shame.
If you would supply me with name of the shoddy, second-hand rag stall from which you obtained (surely you didn't purchase ) those things round your neck and waist I shall take immediate steps to have them prosecuted and incarcerated, their goods and chattels burned, their families sold into slavery and their soft toys given to orphanages, for the sake of any children who might catch a glimpse of similar objects and be lured away from the paths of black tie righteousness.
I feel it is only my duty.
Gari

[quote name='pnhnrk']Cool. Wouldm't wamt amyome thimkimg we wos stuffy on here.

All you meed is love,
Nalcoln[/quote]

Nalcoln,

I'n sure that set nust fall off your bomes these days, what with your comsiderable weight loss, mo? Or does it fit agaim?:eek:

Nichael

[quote name='garigoun']Nay lad, Nay, all tha needs is a colour blindness test.

That is quite the most shocking thing I have seen in a very, very long time, quite put me off my cocoa. Please, please tell me it was a fancy dress occasion or some [I]Theatrical event.[/I] Do you not realise sir that there are people who visit this board for sartorial advice? What are they to think? Did we gain and lose an Empire for this? Was it all for nothing? There are people visiting who have met Gordon Brown and he's a Scotsman for goodness sake. The thing that hurts most sir, the thing that cuts the deepest, that gives one cause for despair, hand-wringing, teethgnashing, hair-tearing and clothes rending is the fact .....Oh God I can hardly bring myself to voice it on paper the worst thing of all Sir, is that you are actually smiling while sporting, (I cannot use the verb 'to wear' in this instance) while sporting Sir, that emerald abomination. Fie for shame Sirrah. For shame.
If you would supply me with name of the shoddy, second-hand rag stall from which you obtained (surely you didn't purchase ) those things round your neck and waist I shall take immediate steps to have them prosecuted and incarcerated, their goods and chattels burned, their families sold into slavery and their soft toys given to orphanages, for the sake of any children who might catch a glimpse of similar objects and be lured away from the paths of black tie righteousness.
I feel it is only my duty.
Gari[/quote]

Gari, Gari, Gari This photo is of a young gentleman who has spent over 5 months of the last 12 in Princess Grill accommodations. He is a true trendsetter amongst us. Do not disparage his attire--he was trying to loosen up the world cruise bunch and I would have to say, a fine job was done.

A devoted fan of all things Hawaiian.

Archived