The weekly "formal dress question" thread:

x-press

[quote name='garigoun']
If you would supply me with name of the shoddy, second-hand rag stall from which you obtained (surely you didn't purchase ) those things round your neck and waist I shall take immediate steps to have them prosecuted and incarcerated, their goods and chattels burned, their families sold into slavery and their soft toys given to orphanages, for the sake of any children who might catch a glimpse of similar objects and be lured away from the paths of black tie righteousness.
I feel it is only my duty.
Gari[/quote]

How good that someone, and a northerner to boot, is standing up for the standards in which [I]most[/I] of us believe. Nalcoln is a national disgrace.

Actually, I do happen to know the name of the supplier... my usual terms apply.

Sir Martin:cool:

[quote name='Wheretonext???']Gari, Gari, Gari This photo is of a young gentleman who has spent over 5 months of the last 12 in Princess Grill accommodations. He is a true trendsetter amongst us. Do not disparage his attire--he was trying to loosen up the world cruise bunch and I would have to say, a fine job was done.[/quote]

Whether the person is young or not it is difficult to tell from the small avatar, HOWEVER, (my very favourite word) the term gentleman applied to anyone adorning themselves in such a manner is not, I think, correct.
Fop, Dandy, Cosckscomb, Popinjay, Macaroni, Children's Entertainer are some of the terms which spring readily to mind. To plead in mitigation on his behalf that he spent some short time aboard a large ship in sybaritic luxury is as pathetic an attempt at exoneration as has ever been heard on this board. I myself, madam, was cast adrift in an open necked shirt and spent the best part of four years on one wave with nothing to eat but steak egg and chips. HOWEVER, the moment I caught a glimpse of land I tore a strip from my shirt, opened a vein on my arm with my teeth and let the blood soak into the cloth. The action of seawater and sun then turned the blood black and it was but the work of a moment to fashion for myself a perfectly acceptable black bow tie. All it takes is a little determination to do the RIGHT THING and most of all consideration for one's fellow man. And might I add madam that the alacrity with which you spring to this poseur's defence does you no service, no service at all.
I wonder that you can call yourself a true Cunardeer.

[quote name='Wheretonext???']
A devoted fan of all things Hawaiian.[/quote]

What, even ukeleles? Good God!.
Gari

[quote name='garigoun']The action of seawater and sun then turned the blood black and it was but the work of a moment to fashion for myself a perfectly acceptable black bow tie. All it takes is a little determination to do the RIGHT THING and most of all consideration for one's fellow man.[/quote]

By 'eck. Is it Gari MacGyver now then?

J

[quote name='garigoun']
What, even ukeleles? Good God!.
Gari[/quote]

I know, you probably have nightmares about Tiny Tim, but, the ukelele is now very hip.

From the New York Times, August, 2008:

[URL]http://www.nytimes.com/2008/08/10/fashion/10ukulele.html?_r=1&scp=5&sq=ukelele&st=cse&oref=slogin[/URL]#

“In darker times there is something appealingly light about it,” said Jim Beloff, who wrote “The Ukulele: A Visual History” and sells ukulele merchandise at [URL="http://www.fleamarketmusic.com/"][COLOR=#004276]fleamarketmusic.com[/COLOR][/URL]. “There’s a lightness and a sweetness about the sound, and it doesn’t hurt that the association people have is with Hawaii, which is a beautiful place. It’s kind of a vacation in your mind.”

[quote name='SeaMatesNYC']
[URL]http://www.nytimes.com/2008/08/10/fashion/10ukulele.html?_r=1&scp=5&sq=ukelele&st=cse&oref=slogin[/URL]#

“In darker times there is something appealingly light about it,” said Jim Beloff, who wrote “The Ukulele: A Visual History” [COLOR=red]and sells ukulele merchandise at [/COLOR][URL="http://www.fleamarketmusic.com/"][COLOR=red]fleamarketmusic.com[/COLOR][/URL][COLOR=red].[/COLOR].”[/quote]

Oh, that's OK then, a completely unbiased opinion always helps.

Gari

[quote name='garigoun']Oh, that's OK then, a completely unbiased opinion always helps.

Gari[/quote]

Man, there's just no slipping anything by you, is there, Gari? Failed to realize that the quote would trigger your well-honed cow paddy meter. Nonetheless, the article does have some less-biased views on the resurgence of the instrument's popularity. I am neutral on the point. Feel free to dig around for other evidence suggesting that the ukelele is in fact in a continued downward spiral of favor. I'm sure our dear readers will be anxious to have this debate settled.;)

[quote name='SeaMatesNYC']Sir, it would be quite appropriate if you were entertaining the children at a birthday fete onboard.[/quote]

Hardly what you were thinking. I doubt it's your taste, but it's not as loud as you are thinking either. (That's me on the lower right 5 years ago. Wow, didn't realize how much weight I've lost since then.)

[IMG]http://www.canettifamily.com/images/Formal_Night_07-07-03.jpg[/IMG]

[quote name='gometros']Hardly what you were thinking. I doubt it's your taste, but it's not as loud as you are thinking either. (That's me on the lower right 5 years ago. Wow, didn't realize how much weight I've lost since then.)

[IMG]http://www.canettifamily.com/images/Formal_Night_07-07-03.jpg[/IMG][/quote]

You're right, I thought it would be brighter colors. And please, my taste is irrelevant. Onboard, I would never in a million years comment about anyone's attire (unless to compliment). Such rudeness I save for posting on boards such as this.:eek: From afar, it looks almost like paisley, so I am presuming that up close, the Mickey pattern can be detected. While it certainly is not my taste, I would not make you walk the plank, have no fear (not that you would, have any fear that is; you could, from the looks of you, snap me in two!).

Handsome family you have there, Sandy, assuming they are your family.

[quote name='Wheretonext???']Well if you want a truly unbiased opinion, you could ask Arthur Godfrey 'cept I believe he is pushing up daisies.:o[/quote]

Or George Formby - oops, no sorry, forget that. He's shuffled off this mortal coil as well.

J

[quote name='SeaMatesNYC'] I'm sure our dear readers will be anxious to have this debate settled.;)[/quote]

Sorry, matters of earth-shaking importance are happening on this side of the Atlantic at the moment. We've no time now to be bothered by the popularity of a small stringed-instrument, or trivial matters like the global financial crisis and your singularly unimportant election.

We've got Wossy-gate to worry about :eek:

J

[quote name='gometros']Hardly what you were thinking. I doubt it's your taste, but it's not as loud as you are thinking either. (That's me on the lower right 5 years ago. Wow, didn't realize how much weight I've lost since then.)
[/quote]

Hey - cool tie Sandy.

By the way if you're wondering where the weight went, I can tell you. Somehow, mysteriously, you managed to pass it on to me. I can let you have it back if you want :)

J

[quote name='SeaMatesNYC']
Handsome family you have there, Sandy, assuming they are your family.[/quote]

No, they were just a random family I picked out and plopped down next to for the picture :D

Thanks for the compliment.

I wasn't at all offended. Since you are a fellow New Yorker I considered the source. I just had to set the record straight, since I could imagine how you thought the combo must have appeared. You're right, from afar, it has a paisley look to it and can only see the Mickey heads upon closer examination. Being a frequent Disney cruiser, I felt it fit in perfectly for formal nights on DCL. Besides, basic black is so . . . boring and I'm anything but boring.

[quote name='gometros']No, they were just a random family I picked out and plopped down next to for the picture :D
[/quote]

Now that you mention it, they do look rather two dimensional. Is that a set that the photographers carry about the dining room? You know, like those grand staircases or ship backdrops they have on formal night?:D

Basic black tie. Yes, rather tedious. Fine for one night, but on cruises such as Cunard with multiples, I do enjoy flat black, black brocade and (mostly) black (and a little white) paisley. As long as you are not wearing bright, satin RED BLUE OR GREEN! Or dancing olives, or martini glasses or...oh my, I must put my head down and rest...

[quote name='Wheretonext???']Well if you want a truly unbiased opinion, you could ask Arthur Godfrey 'cept I believe he is pushing up daisies.:o[/quote]

How dare you use 'unbiased' and 'Arthur Godfrey' in the same sentence*

*[SIZE=1]My father was the attorney for Julius LaRosa and if you are old enough to know who Arthur Godfrey was, you might understand the connection.[/SIZE]

[quote name='Cruachan']Hey - cool tie Sandy.

By the way if you're wondering where the weight went, I can tell you. Somehow, mysteriously, you managed to pass it on to me. I can let you have it back if you want :)

J[/quote]

No thank you, I worked hard enough to drop the first 75 lbs. I wouldn't want to do that all over again. You may keep it with my blessing.

[quote name='SeaMatesNYC'] As long as you are not wearing bright, satin RED BLUE OR GREEN! Or dancing olives, or martini glasses or...oh my, I must put my head down and rest...[/quote]

On that, we can most definitely agree!

[quote name='gometros']No thank you, I worked hard enough to drop the first 75 lbs. I wouldn't want to do that all over again. [B]You may keep it with my blessing.[/B][/quote]

Thank you Sandy. You are a kind man. I'll just have to come up with another plan :(

J

Sandy,

I figured it out! You can wear the Mickey Mouse tie set on Masquerade Ball night with mouse ear hat and a whisker mask! Seriously! Just be sure to take the hat off in the dining room. And keep the wiskers out of your soup. Have a great trip. Are you on the Thanksgiving 2009 voyage? I'm currently eyeing that one.

Michael

[quote name='SeaMatesNYC']Sandy,

I figured it out! You can wear the Mickey Mouse tie set on Masquerade Ball night with mouse ear hat and a whisker mask! Seriously! Just be sure to take the hat off in the dining room. And keep the wiskers out of your soup. Have a great trip. Are you on the Thanksgiving 2009 voyage? I'm currently eyeing that one.

Michael[/quote]

I think we're on the cruise after that one, Southern Caribbean leaving 11/30/09. We came across it quite by accident when our AAA Magazine advertised a special for a 5-day Fourth of July (that's Independence day for you Brits) Getaway Cruise next year. While researching it, I saw this 10-day Caribbean for pretty much the same cost and figured, why not?

[quote name='gometros']I think we're on the cruise after that one, Southern Caribbean leaving 11/30/09. We came across it quite by accident when our AAA Magazine advertised a special for a 5-day Fourth of July (that's Independence day for you Brits) Getaway Cruise next year. While researching it, I saw this 10-day Caribbean for pretty much the same cost and figured, why not?[/quote]

Sandy,

I'm intrigued by your avatar - what is it exactly?

J

[quote name='Cruachan']Sandy,

I'm intrigued by your avatar - what is it exactly?

J[/quote]

The Colonel is not a what, but a who. He is the host and long time member of the Adventurer's Club in Downtown Disney in Orlando, something you have to experience to truly appreciate. He's an old geezer who tends to sleep a lot, but all you need do is shout "Drinks are on me" to wake him up and get his attention.

[quote name='gometros']The Colonel is not a what, but a who. He is the host and long time member of the Adventurer's Club in Downtown Disney in Orlando, something you have to experience to truly appreciate. He's an old geezer who tends to sleep a lot, but all you need do is shout "Drinks are on me" to wake him up and get his attention.[/quote]

Thanks Sandy,

My apologies to the Colonel - my rapidly failing eyesight isn't really up to these very small avatars (getting old sucks frankly) :)

J

Archived