Review ! Golden Princess 10-24-04 "Motley Crewsers" return. Chapter 1

CRUISAYEAR

It was wonderful Lana. I highly recommend the tram to anyone visiting Dominica. I would have had a much different opinion of this island had I just acted as package holder for DW while we did shops.

That evening, after another great dinner we saw some more of the Karaoke competition in the Explorers lounge, and then it was time for the "Island Night" festivities up on those stacked aft decks 14, 15, 16. Neat how they cover over the aft pool to make the bandstand. Enjoyed that party but DW decided to chill on the balcony. So had to party with other women. Jill and LaRonda from our group kept me from getting lonely. Had saved a bunch of seats by the Outrigger bar for Lana and Company but never saw them.

Note to "Jersey girl". Must have been slim pickings in your singles group. It's been a while since I was hit on by a beautiful woman 20+ years my junior. You were a big boost to my ego. Thanks for the drink. Wedding ring has not fit for years.

Went up to Skywalker's disco after Island night and enjoyed it until it became obvious staff was catering to specific crowd.

Down to the cabin to rest up for the next adventure in the morning when I wake up at yet another new and different island I had never been to before. Isla de Margerita ! A slice of Venesuela.

Thanks for the great review. . .I like how you're doing it in installments. . .makes me feel as though I'm already on the Golden. . .we are doing this same itinerary for Christmas, so I am really appreciating all of your comments!

We were there but on the port side. Annie said she saw you someplace else but I was not about to get up and lose our seats. Sure was a good party. We were probably not that far from each other. Go figure!

Don't forget the correct pronunciation for IS LA Margarita vs EYELA Margarita. Really looking forward to you review of Aruba, pronounced YEEHAW!!!

OK Doreen, here's more just for you ! I hope you enjoy your trip as much as I did. You will enjoy the ship at Christmas. Princess does such a great job decorating for the holidays.

While we were sleeping, the ship passed between Los Testigos island and another group of islands known as Los Frailles. Thursday morning broke bright and sunny, and a beautiful sunrise picture was added to the collection taken from our aft balcony.

Golden was tied up by 7am. We had another great breakfast on the balcony, and by 7:45 we were on shore lined up behind the right guide holding the numbered sign corresponding to the tour we had booked for our short stay at this island. We had to be back on the ship by 12:45, so not much room for error here.

After some thought about the river tubing excursion, (which I heard was lots of fun) we nixed the idea and we chose the "La Restinga Lagoon and nature tour" offered by the ship. We booked this on the cruise personalizer with two weeks to spare when Princess finally made their changes to the itinerary official. There were many other offerings but this one looked interesting and was inexpensive. Thursdays port call was to have been Caracas, Venezuela but they have not stopped here for years, citing unrest in the area. Don't know why they continue to advertise it as a destination.

We had no idea at the time we booked this tour that it would turn out to be the best $39pp I ever spent.

After making sure he had the right number of bodies, our guide marched us down a road next to the pier that was flanked on both sides by many thatched roof stalls of vendors of gifts and souveniers. Some neat stuff here ! No time to shop, as we were next in a large parking lot where we were to board a nearly new Mercedes motor coach. Cool and comfortable, and smooth riding. Off we went onto a four lane divided highway that was as nice as any we have here.

We passed large open plains of green desert, dotted with tall cacti, aloe, and aguave (the plants they make tequila out of). Beautiful but strange. We passed nice homes with tile roofs and some not so nice. Businesses and places to eat were all seen along the route.

Our guide, who stood at the front of the bus, described what we were seeing and gave a run down of the size of the island. He told of its major exports and imports, it's people and how different it was to be here on this island off the coast of Venezuela as compared to living inland on their mainland. Very interesting and cheery young man who seemed to be genuinly proud of his island.

After 25 minutes or so we saw the sign indicating the turn towards the lagoon and shortly we were there in a parking lot next to it. A beautiful place. Sparkling dark water, between long wooden piers to which were tied dozens of long narrow wooden boats. Each was the same design but each boat was colorfully painted by its owner, and no two were alike in that regard. Each had a covered bow, and several rows of bench seats with backrests. At the corners of the passenger area were carved wooden posts the supported a canvas top to allow for plenty of shade. At the rear was a single seat for the driver and a 40 hp outboard motor.

The little bay where you board the boats, with its mangrove trees and all the flowering bushes, added to the bright colors of the boats themselves, and the smiling faces of the local men who had made these boats was a real postcard.

We walked past some nicely painted buildings where there were refreshments to be bought, washrooms, and of all things, souveniers ! We then were put in groups of 6 and led to a boat where the driver assisted us all on board. No muster drill, but there were life jackets under the seats, which I could see by the glass smooth water would not be needed. Each boat left on its own when it was ready. Each guide/driver spoke decent english.

Perhaps Lagoon means something different here. What I saw was a series of big interconnected lakes. We crossed to the far side of the first one and our driver pulled the boat up along side the shore which was the tightly woven root systems of the mangroves which shaded us from above.

He had already shut off the motor, and he reached under his seat and pulled out a mason jar. We were all silent, wondering what was he up to ? He knelt on the bottom of the boat, leaning far over the side, dipping the jar down between the flooded roots and moving it about. After a minute or so he raises the jar up into the light. Ah-ha he says, look ! Look ! a jar full of SEAHORSES ! Everybody's mouths dropped open, and our eyes lit up. Beautiful little 3 or 4 inch curling tailed SEAHORSES ! Little fin/wings on their backs beating madly, moving about the jar, changing color as we watched. He handed the jar to the ladies in the rearmost seat who still had not closed their mouths. I had not either, I was too busy pointing my video camera at the jar as it was being passed from person to person around the boat. Babbling things like "OH wow" OH my God ! Finally it was my turn to hold the jar. It was a mini-religious expierience for me. So rare, so fragile, truly one of nature's most intriguing creatures. The only place I had ever seen one was at the Shedd Aquarium next to Chicago's lake front, in the salt water displays. This was a much better view. I held the jar in one hand and the video camera in the other and captured the moment.

Our guide explained how fragile they are and we could not keep them in the jar for but a few moments, and he gently released them right back where he found them.

Seeing the seahorses was totally unexpected and our guide from the bus nor the guide on the boat told us about it ahead of time. A real treat.

I tell you of this not to spoil anyone else's suprise, but to give you some idea as to what is to be seen on this tour.

We left the seahorse shore and continued on across another lake until we entered a tunnel of trees, not twelve feet wide, nor more than 4 feet deep. We motored very slowly through this tunnel, and many others. Each had a small sign hung at it's entrance. They were in spanish but the guide translated, "tunnel of love", "tunnel of kisses", "tunnel of hugs" etc. etc. all related to romance and some were a little R rated. With my polarised sunglasses I could see the water was teeming with fish of all sizes. Not colorful tropical types, more like gamefish.

Our guide pointed out birds, Ibis, egrets, pelicans, parrots and more. Named some of the trees, bushes and flowers.

We could see down in the water, attached to the mangrove roots, several types of starfish. The guide pried one loose and handed it around. A brilliant day-glo orange and 4 inches across. These were all over amoung the roots, could not believe how many there were.

Too soon we were heading back to the docks. After getting out of the boats (we tipped the driver) a young boy came up to my wife and handed her what looked to me like a perfectly formed conch shell in miniature. He declined Barb's offer of money but she insisted.

We had time to purchase some things there for next to nothing. We saw similar items back near the ship for 3x as much. Another ball cap for my collection, very unique. DW got some t-shirts for our sons. For 2 bucks.

After a couple of ice cold local brews and a pit stop we were on our way to our next stop. Yes thats right ! the tour was not over yet. Another 10 minute ride and we were at a botanical garden. Truly gorgeous. Our guide from the bus took us through here also and named flowers (incredible flowers) trees, plants etc. They had also painted the names of things on rocks and put these at the base of the plants.

Then you are given the option of going into a maze created by clever planting of a native shrub which grows to seven feet in 3 years. It was quite difficult, and most of the group gave up halfway through.

After this you move to a nature center right next to the botanical gardens. Here they had Parrots of many hues, macaws, parakeets, and other types of birds, tortoises of several sizes, Several kinds of monkeys, turtles, and snakes. One being a boa constrictor of 8 or 9 feet that you could hold if you liked. (I passed)

Got a chuckle out of the parrots, they all talked. But in spanish. "Ola senor'" "Buenas Dias" not one asked if they could have a cracker ! They whistled at the ladies and laughed at the men. Great photo op's here also.

Tour still not over. We are underway again but stop at a touristy shopping place and are given time to look around. Isla de Margarita is famous for their pearls and they can be had here for a bargain compared to the states. Cold drinks available here and lite snacks. Here we see in the parking area the "Fiesta Party Bus" another tour offered by the ship. It is the drinking and driving tour of the island except the driver doesn't drink while he drives. He does tend bar while he drives though. We did not see any sober passengers on this bus. Music is cranked, and its only 12:30.

Now we are headed back to the ship. We were supposed to be back on board by 12:30. Ship is supposed to leave at 1 pm. We are back about quarter 'till. There is a huge long line of people snaking their way onto the ship, standing in the blazing sun.

We opt to browse the vendor stalls in the shade until the line is way down. There are also a few buildings here with more shops (imagine that!)

Ship leaves about an hour late. We enjoy the view of the island getting smaller from our aft cabin, and enjoy a cold drink, thinking what a great time we had here and how little it cost. Within an hour the ship is up to over 22 knots and we are looking down at 4 bubble trails in some serious wake on our way to .....ARUBA !

Alright ! just a few more tidbits about Isla de Margarita. Gasoline there , and probably on the mainland also is 4 CENTS PER LITER ! Can you believe this ? Less than 20 cents for more than a gallon. Our guide said it is subsidized by the govenment, it's a political thing, and any politician who ever attempted to do away with it was not elected or was voted out of office.

For those like myself who are collecting information on places to retire where you can live like a King for far less than it costs here in the U.S. A top notch condo in the best section of town, which already has lots of Americans and Brit's, goes for about $20,000 U.S. ! A three bedroom custom home, with 2 1/2 baths and a two car garage, with all the best appliances and features on several acres of property goes for $50,000 to $60,000 U.S. ! Flights to a large airport in Aruba leave twice a day.

The Golden docked at Aruba around 8am Friday. More sunshine, more heat, but not so humid. The leader of the Motley Crewsers, Lana, had arranged for 18 of our group to take a 4x4 tour with ABC tours. Done on our own at $49.50pp. Less than half of what the same tour would cost through Princess, and ABC provided transport from the ship to their place of business for no extra charge in a small bus. We chose a half day tour, allowing us time at the end to hit the shopping area just a block or so from the ship.

Tours with ABC can be customized to allow you to see and do as you wish, in the amount of time you have decided upon. The tour Lana set up for us was billed as an "Extreme 4x4 safari". We were soon to find out why it was called "Extreme".

It took no more than ten minutes to get from the ship to ABC tours office. There we got lined up for our first inkling of what was to come. EVERYONE signs a waiver of liability. I think I am glad I did not take time to read the fine print. I don't want to know what my responsibilities would have been should I as the driver of an expensive vehicle with seven other passengers in it would have been had I rolled it or crashed it, or took it flying off a cliff. With said 7 other passengers screaming in terror.

ABC has several types of vehicles which you can tour in. All of which use the same plan of following a staff guide in the lead vehicle. 4x4 ATV's, regular jeeps, and Range Rover Defender's. We had the latter. Basicly this is a converted Army truck capable of holding 8 people. The driver and front passenger in bucket seats in the usual way, and in the back of my vehicle two bench seats on the sides faced each other. In our other two vehicles the back seats were one behind the other like a van. At the back was a tail gate which dropped down and they had step things to get you in and out. Overhead were three roll bars which supported a canvas top for shade. No AC, no radio. Stick shift 5-speed with three range tranfer case. Monster tires, fully independant suspension, big time ground clearance. Very powerful engine, with amazing low end torque. We were going to need it all.

ABC tried to get us all to go in two vehicles. We had contracted for three. Myself and others made a stink. We got our third vehicle. Only one guide. He drove the lead truck. Two volunteers, myself included, drove the other two. Dr. Ann our veternarian would drive the second vehicle, and tend to any injuries. I think she either did a great job, or she had injected her passengers with ketamine. They were pretty quiet, even their YEEEEHAAAAAS ! were pretty feeble. The aged and infirm rode with the guide.

The trusting and foolhardy rode with me. After a long time in the Army as a Tank crewman, and having driven jeeps, Gama-goats, duece and a halfs, five tons, full size buses, and tractors, I was up for this.

The test of my qualifications consisted of my naming all of the controls, and describing there function to the guide. He asked if I had a license and since I did he said mount up, lets go.

First part of the drive was pretty tame. Went through city streets until we were out of town and turned off onto a gravel road. Still tame. First stop was at the ruins of a building next to a magnificent rocky beach. We all got out and formed up around the guide while he explained the significance of the old ruins, and offered some tips. He let us know that he had plenty of ice cold water in his vehicle and to drink lots of it. A column of ATV tour riders showed up to look the place over also.

The beach was dotted with thousands of small piles of rocks, a tradition started by tourists many years ago. Now they very close together, as far as I could see. Great surf here, just beautiful !

Next part of the ride got more serious but still not Extreme. We stopped at the Natural Bridges. Awesome place where the relentless pounding of huge waves had carved huge holes in the cliffs and washed out large areas behind them. There were pathways where you could walk down into the wash outs for better views and picture taking. My wife Barb and I did not, as great shots were to be had from above as well.

Nice Bar here, souvenier shop also, clean restrooms. Don't pass on the restrooms ! you'll be sorry later. The rest of our group began the long and enjoyable process of being overserved. My passengers insisted I limit my intake at 2 beers. The guide said this was a good idea as I would need a clear head for what was to come.

We are off again. We turn off what was a pretty good trail and begin to drive across terrain like the moon. Dry, sunblasted, windscoured. No growth of any kind beyond some short growing cacti. Brutal jagged rocks. But we don't go very far, we stop again at an OSTRICH FARM !

How different is this ? Ostriches, lots and lots of them. Free roaming, but behind fences. Seven feet tall 300 lb. birds. I'd seen one before at the zoo. But nothing like this.

Our guide turns us over to one of the staff of the farm who tells us all about the birds, and the farm. Humorous photo op's as volunteers are given a feed bowl to hold while they put their backs up against the fence. Six or seven birds at a time crane their long necks over the fence to peck over the shoulders of the brave to get at the contents of the bowl. Hilarious. Bristley hairs on their necks scrape across sun reddend skin.

We are then taken over to the rearing pens which hold lots of baby birds and are shown the football sized eggs which will hold the equivilant of two and a half dozen chicken eggs. Some jokes about huge omeletts.

Another chance for cold beer here. Most take the chance several times. Designated drivers don't.

We are nearly three hours into this thing. Any sign of a trail is long gone, Rocks get bigger, we go slower. Climbing now, back and forth, higher and higher, never out of second gear. When the engine complains I drop it into first, yank the transfer case lever into low range.

The regular jeeps that we had seen up until a while ago are long gone down much easier trails. ATV riders can't do rocks like this either. I am amazed at how capable this truck is. Only a Hummer could do this better.

The two trucks in front of me keep disappearing over rises, and down through little valleys. My passengers have to keep watch to see which way they went, as I have my head out the side most of the time watching for the right path between big rocks right in front of the truck.

DW is clutching the grab bar in front of her, not saying a word. We are staying well behind the other trucks because of the heavy dust. There is a decent breeze so at least it doesn't hang. We are also going slow because the nervous Nellie behind my wife keeps telling me to. She is freaking out. I am getting tired of hearing that if she had known it was going to be like this, she would never have come. Her husband reminds her that the description of the trip did say Extreme. Just then the truck loses it's footing at the left front. It slides left and down, and tips hard to the left. Nellie screams, the guys are yeehaaing through whatever beer has not splashed out of the longneck. DW looks over at me with that stretched straight mouth both eyebrows raised look that says "that scared me" and its 94 degrees and she's got goosebumps. I know Nellie is thinking I did that on purpose. Even egotistical I can drive anything me thought we were gonna roll. I want to get out of this spot and onto a level surface, so I can park it and get out and check my shorts.

The engine had died. I restart, give it some rev's and we climb right out of that hole, straightend up and were on our way again. I ask for the second or third time if anyone wants to take over the wheel, and they all say Im doing fine.

We get to the top and start down again, can't see the other trucks, but we can see some dust so we go that way and make our own road. The ocean is out in front of us now. It's about 1,200 ft down below, but there it is.

The other trucks have stopped to wait for us. We are behind them now, and they zig back and forth until we get much lower. Then we stop about 300 ft above the beach, and park.

It's another postcard here. Huge waves crashing on even bigger rocks. There is a sandy beach, but the water can't reach it. There are steps going down, either chiseled into or made out of the rock. Our group follows the rest down the trail. A few chose not to attempt the hike, and stayed behind. I am last one down as I keep stopping to take pictures.

We have arrived at the treat of the day. This is called "The natural Pool" (I think). We all had our suits on and were aware we'd get here. We are on the rocky peak of a point of land that the waves over eons have chewed away at until they made holes in to a big bowl of rock and the bowl is full of water. You are protected from the vicious surf, but the water flows in and out of the holes.

To get here you must take a treacherous climb through the rocks. There are people here all day to help you. It's wet and slippery with green moss. Next to the pool which is maybe 50'x100' you'll be shown where to sit and slide in. We were given masks and snorkles with which to see the fish that are all around you. The water surges through the holes in the rock, gets super aerated, then all the bubbles burst in front of your eyes. It is crystal clear, and warm as bathwater. Really incredible, and I hope somebody writes me back and says they did this and it was worth every effort to do it because it is a once in a life time thing.

Too soon we were on our way out. By the time you dry off and put your clothes back on, you are sweating again and wish you were back in the pool.

I come up behind an exhausted Lana on the way back up to the trucks. We finish the trip up together, and agree that even though this has been difficult we would not have missed it.

We are off for the down hill trip across hellscape. It is no easier than before but just as much fun. Soon we are at a restaurant having lunch and beer. Then it is back to town where ABC staff are waiting to take the trucks back, and we are free to shop. It has taken much longer than it was supposed to and we have only an hour and a half before we must be back onboard. We make the most of it and get back on board just before they raise the gangplank.

Another great dinner, another great show, we sleep like rocks and are glad we don't have to get up early on our only sea day.

Wow Gregg, I had not realized they wanted to squeeze all of us into two Defenders! Sure would have been up close and personal with the other riders. I can only pray Capt. Kirk and Wanda don't read this...The 'elderly' went with the guide...LOL!

Dr. Ann was one HECK OF A GOOD DRIVER!!! We girls YEEHAWED alot but you were sooo far behind you couldn't hear us. When I reboarded our Defender after the Natural Pool, Lil Annie started reading me the riot act. We discovered a contest on the ride out of the NP. Everyone received cups of water. Whomever had the most water remaining in their cup at the top was the winner. Of what, we know not. The only time I have seen 'cupped' water perform such magic was in a NASA training film! Laughed our a---s off on the ride up.

I'm beginning to think the Carolina Gals had more spunk and spirit than those mid-western nannies...LOL. I was a bit upset when Dito, our guide came back to tell us to buckle up and made sure everyone was secure. Then he gave us a short lecture on not swearing, but to yell YEEHAW instead. Just who did he think he was! Well, turned out to be good advice as otherwise we would have sounded like a rolling, roving bar brawl. I really enjoyed this tour and felt very secure with Ann driving. Definitely NOT for the faint of heart. And, literally, hold onto your hats, as I believe you had to stop and pick up one of our shredded chapeaux.

The Natural Pool was absolutely wonderfull. I had waited 270 days to see and experience it and was not disappointed. Did not realize I was going to have to be 'Sir' Jane Hillary to access it though. I am made of good stock.

Great travelog Gregg! Next trip we will follow you and Barb on excursions as you seem to choose well!

Aruba was by far the best of the best and the extreme jeep tour something to remember. We really had a great time, and thanks to Lana for that absolutely super idea. I second her comment about Ann's driving. We had little trouble and were in no danger of losing footing. She can drive me anytime! That trip was the highlight of the cruise for me, Liz

Missy and Liz, you can be glad you had seatbelts. Mine did not work, nor did some of the others, another reason we were behind and slow.

We enjoyed our sea day. Very relaxing after such a port intensive week. Got our packing done and explored parts of the ship we had not seen yet. Did the Galley tour, and in the afternoon, the backstage tour in the Princess Theater. Enjoyed our "Last Supper" at a table for eight with the addition of Kitty B. and her sister Chris.

You know it's over when you put that luggage outside the door on the final night. You wake up wishing this was a 10 day or more.

Our flight back to Chicago was not until 6:30 pm. Our luggage tags were Orange 11, far down on the list for disembarking. We had a wonderful leisurely breakfast in the dining room, and then went back to the cabin to wait. We cheated, and did not go down to the public areas until our steward Jose became angry with us and told us we must go as he must have the cabin ready for it's next lucky occupants. It was pretty empty by the time we got down to deck five atrium area. Took cushy seats next to the Grand piano, and found Lana, Annie, Liz, and saw Betty again. I hate saying goodbye to people who's company you have enjoyed, never knowing if you will ever see them again. We had time to chat and hug, and then they were calling our color.

15 minutes of line time and we were reunited with our luggage in record time as there was hardly anyone in the terminal. Hail a porter, smile at the customs officer while the porter hands him the form, and were out.

Original plan was to taxi to the Barrachina Restaurant where they will lock up your luggage for you for 5 bucks, and then shop around Old San Juan. Then taxi to the airport around 4:30 pm. This plan lasted one minute.

I was politely approached by Mr. Pedro Flores, who impressed me with his neat appearance. He asked what our plans were and after we told him he said he had another couple who were from Springfield, Illinois who were on the same flight as we. Would we like to join them and he would show us the city as no one else could for $25pp and deliver us to the airport at the time of our choosing. We said this sounded like a new plan, he introduced us to our companions for the next 6 hours. His late model Lincoln Town Car was clean and neat, bore the proper licensing sticker, and the business card he handed me had all the info on it I would need to show the police in case he took off with our luggage, even his license plate number. He was close to my age, a foot shorter than me, and unarmed as far as I could see. So I decided to trust him.

Turns out he was born in P.R. raised in Philadelphia and had been back here for several years.

He took us all over, through all the districts and was very knowledgable and informative. We stopped and went through Fortress San Cristobal, Toured the Wyndam Resort and Spa, (incredible place ! we will stay here on our next visit) that he says is the nicest place in town while still being affordable. We stopped for lunch at a local place, and I took note of what others were having. A huge combo platter looked like more than enough for two, so Barb and I shared one. After lunch we had lots of time to park and shop what stores were open on Sunday in Old San Juan.

Off to the airport, having had a wonderful time with Pedro.

If you'd like to have someone waiting for you when you arrive in San Juan, get you to your hotel, take you on a tour either pre or post cruise, I highly recommend Mr. Pedro Flores. His numbers are (787) 701-1956 or (787) 236-4971 One I am sure is his cell but I don't know which.

Another fine driver we used pre cruise was Mr. Rupert Cosme (787) 410-3858 equally as nice as Pedro, with a new Chevy Van.

Some final tips....We asked Rupert to take us to the best place to buy liquor for the cruise. He took us to Pueblo Supermarket on the Ave. of Los Gobernadores (very close to the Radisson) Really big selection of wines, beer, and booze.

He also took us, as part of his city tour, to the Bacardi Rum distillery. We really enjoyed the tour here, and they sell all of their products in a showroom if you want to take some aboard or home at low prices. Plus they give you free drinks at the end, and you will leave happy. Try the Mohito ! my new favorite rum drink.

Rupert also specializes in trips to the El Yunque rain forest. We did not go there but talked to many who did, and all said it was great.

If your staying at the Radisson (which was nice for the little I paid) go out the front door to the right, Danny's Restaurant and Pizza. Great place and very inexpensive, a block down on the right. Walk for ten minutes, same direction and side of the street, and there is a Walgreens, and a good sized liquor store. You'll pass a small one just before you get to Danny's but not much for selection of wine.

Two couples in our group stayed at the Wyndam Old San Juan. Both said the rooms were decent enough but service was deplorable, and the staff were downright rude. They were ignored in their restaurants, and both had to argue to get dubious and unadvertised charges removed from their bills. They reported that the food if you could get it, was wildly overpriced. Both said they would never stay here again no matter how cheap it was. Way different place than the Wyndam Resort.

Many in our group stayed at the Intercontinental Hotel, and raved about it.

I realize I might have gotten carried away with the lenght of my review. I am long winded in person too, but I hope I have been of some service to any who have yet to expierience This itinerary of the Golden. I hope you have as fine a time as I had. Be tolerant of imperfection if you find it. Ship happens wherever you go. Life is to short to pick nits. Don't sweat the small stuff, and enjoy a special, romantic, and gracious time in elegant surroundings with your spouse. Or significant other. Seek out and enjoy the company of friendly happy people, and enjoy the diversity of their personalities. Thank whatever higher power you believe in for being so fortunate as to be able to afford to cruise. So many of the people in the most beautiful places on earth will never get to do as you will.

Bon Voyage, CRUISAYEAR

p.s. All errors in english, grammar and punctuation were the fault of the computer.

Gregg,

Thank you, thank you, thank you for your wonderful review. I have had my parents, husband, brother, and daughter, all reading your review to get us pumped for our Golden Christmas. All of us were saying "awwwww" when you described the sea horses on IDM. We were going to just stay close to ship that day, but now I think we are all convinced to do this amazing tour. You also had me cracking up with your extreme 4x4 adventure! Bravo!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I'll bump this one too. What a Great review! Informative, colorful, and entertaining.. I love this site!

Marcia (mmsoko) and I will be on this same itinerary with the exception that Greneda is back on the schedule instead of Dominica. I sure hope we end up going to Isla Margarita instead of La Guaira which is still listed on our itineraries just to be able to do the Lagoon trip.

~Paul

I keep quoting you Cruisayear. . .I have been recommending this tour over and over again. I have booked a tour with Oscar Brown in Costa Rica. I figured that if you were right about LaRestinga, I would use your advice again.:)

You will like Oscar, Doreen. He seems to have quite the business going now, if your paying attention to the Costa Rica ports board. I would insist that your tour be with him personally. Sounds like he goes out with a full van most of the time now. Overflow goes with one of his relatives.
Tell him I said hello. Hope you have sunny skies while there.

Archived