Turners beach - What's it like?

914eener

Hi,

Turners is a lovely beach probably about half a mile long if you walk right along to the other end. There are 3 restaurants /bars on it - Turners which ?I suspect is where Lawrence will take you, it does a really varied menu - not cheap but pretty good. Then there is Gibsons more expensive, excellent food, and OJ's my personal favourite for the snapper.

The Turners end of the beach is excellent as there are wooden shade structures built onto the beach, and you can hire sun beds from them aswell. There is also a little gift shop right there.

Now - is Long Bay better than Turners - I'd say it depends what you want to do - if you want to eat and relax and cool off in the sea then I'd say there is no contest - Long Bay is the best bet.

They are both about the same distance from St Johns - with Turners you could get Lawrence ot take you the route that goes through the centre of the isalnd and then down Fig Tree drive and up the West Coast which is very picturesque, before heading to Turners.

Hope this helps a bit.

Can someone tell me if the cottages that Turner advertises on their website are actually on the beach ? I read Denfield's excellent reply and want to make sure I am clear on this. Does anyone know what they rent the beach cabana/cottage for? Do they have beach service or do you need to go to the bar/restraunt for food and drink? Are there any water rentals (sunfish, kayaks, etc.) available at Turner Beach ? Many thanks for answers.

dewhit,

not sure on the cottages unless they are talking about Pelican Isle villas which are fab villas set on the hill above turners with a short walk down to the restaurant and beach. From memory the next property is the Rex blue Heron hotel which hardly ever looks that busy when I've been to that beach.

You can get hold of Pelican Villas on www.antiguanice.com under villa rentals.

hope that helps

I am also touring with lawrence of antigua on Jan 24th and he is taking us on a tour of the rainforest and then to Turners beach. I went to long bay last year (it was very nice) but this year we want to see a different beach and everyone has suggested Turners.

Hope this helps.

bye

Felicia

I just returned from Antigua and using Laurence tours. First I want to say - this was a fabulous tour and I highly recommend using him.

As far as the stop at Turners versus Long Bay. Odds are good you won't have a choice of beaches. You will be on the tour with other people so it would have to be a group decision. Also you are at the mercy of others on how long to stay. For our tour the van was full with 15 people which included the driver. Only 4 of us were from our ship and the rest from another one in port.

The beach here is very nice and the water fabulous. There is very little snorkling over near some rocks on the side where the beach wraps around. I didn't noticed the shelters as we were only there for 2 hrs.

If you want to go to another beach, I would recommend using one the taxi's located at the pier instead of Lawrence. Our friends went to the same locations as our tour went but stopped at a beach of their choice. Cost - $20 pp. Also their minivan bus was not full.

I loved our tour.. I just wanted to point an alternative if you want something more flexible than the standard route and see the same tourist locations.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Turners beach is Antigua's best beach it is much better than Pineapple Beach and you will never want to leave the beach when you get there.

Jamgirl, could you tell me why it was better. I'm just curious because my family and I are heading there 1st week in Feb 05 and I'm trying to decide where to go. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

to Denfield - I thought the only restaurant on Turner's Beach was Turner's. It hasn't gotten the best comments of this site. Are the others you mentioned right on the beach or do we stroll around the area to them. Thanks.

Archived