Star sailing 10/18-25 - What an amazing time

kitkat32

Thanks for all thre threads on what cabin to book - we ended up booking an AE suite, room 8670, AFT with a wrap around balcony - could not have asked for a better cabin. My DH and I had such a fantastic time. We had a short delay getting on the boat ( we arrived around noon) due to three ships being in port that day, but what did we care, we were on vacation (unfortunately there are a few guests who get irritated due to waiting). In a nutshell, the cabin was great, our butler was OK (didn't ask him to do much except bring room service), concierge was OK, restaurants were fantastic (Aqua, teppanyaki, Cagneys, Endless Summer), spa - my DH loved the deep tissue and stone massage, I'm not a spa person so I don't have an opinion on this one. The staff - excellent. Its amazing how the staff remembers your name even if you only ordered one beer from them. They were all so curteous and helpful.

I guess if there was a downside to this vacation, and I hate to say this, its from the other guests. I cannot tell you how many rude and unpleasant guests I ran into. This was especially found when waiting in line to catch the tender to Cabo. I see guests leaving trash and empty plates on the floor in the middle of the staircase, guests getting into a packed elevator and then refusing to move while the guests in the back of the elevator just want to get out. Guests yelling at other guests because they think they "cut" the line - I just wanted to scream at them "folks, we are all on vacation, chill out!"

Anyway, didn't want to bore you all, but if anyone has any questions about the Star, please feel free to ask. I plan on booking our next cruise as soon as I can figure out where to go next.

Once again, thanks to you all, as reading all these threads helped out tremendously.

We are booked in the same suite for our PC cruise, and I have lots of questions. :D I belive 8670 is referred to as the "Zebra" suite.

1 Is the decor "over-the-top" zebra? I think I have seen some pics, and I remember a zebra pic on the wall and maybe a striped bedspread. Is that still the case?

2 What type of coffee maker did you have? Was it the espresso/cappacino (sp) machine. My DH is a coffee junkie..:rolleyes:

3 Did you do breakfast and lunch at Cagney's? Is there anything that is a must try?

4 How deep is the balcony, how far does the balcony wrap around. Is there room for a chair on the side or is there just room to stand?

5 Who were the butler and concierge? You didn't seem to thrilled with them. Were they not attentive or did you just not use them?

Hello ImADaneFan

Please see my answer below:

1 Is the decor "over-the-top" zebra? I think I have seen some pics, and I remember a zebra pic on the wall and maybe a striped bedspread. Is that still the case? Not over the top. The only Zebra on the bed was the runner at the end of the bed. There's a psychedelic zebra painting (actually its really cool looking). You barely can tell there's a zebra theme.

2 What type of coffee maker did you have? Was it the espresso/cappacino (sp) machine. My DH is a coffee junkie..:rolleyes: We had the espresso machine, but only used it to make tea as I'm a tea junkie.

3 Did you do breakfast and lunch at Cagney's? Is there anything that is a must try? Do go to Cagney's for breakfast and lunch as it is a much more peaceful environment and it wasn't crowded at all. We aren't big breakfast or lunch people, so for breakfast we had room service for most of the days.

4 How deep is the balcony, how far does the balcony wrap around. Is there room for a chair on the side or is there just room to stand? Balcony is not that deep at all. The main balcony has enough room for the 2 lounge chairs and a small, small table (smaller than an end table). Then as you walk towards the side balcony you have to squeeze between the railing and the lounge chair. The side balcony is enough room to stand and watch the world go by - it was perfect for me.

5 Who were the butler and concierge? You didn't seem to thrilled with them. Were they not attentive or did you just not use them?Our butler was Jon, he was good, just really didn't have a need for him. Our concierge was Anka....we rarely spoke to her mostly spoke to her assistant. They were helpful in making our dinner reservations but that's pretty much it.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you need more info!

Another GREAT cruise!

Just off the STAR this weekend and loved it!

I'll write a detailed review once I get settled back in, but NONE - yes, NONE! - of the things people had been complaining about on past STAR cruises was evident to us on this trip!

• NO waiting to get on the ship!
  • NO lines for dining room!
  • NO bad food in "free" dining areas!
  • NO miserable or unfriendly crew!

Oh, and ...NO DOUBT we'll be cruising with NCL again - 2 for 2 perfection!!!

:)

Another GREAT cruise!

Just off the STAR this weekend and loved it!

I'll write a detailed review once I get settled back in, but NONE - yes, NONE! - of the things people had been complaining about on past STAR cruises was evident to us on this trip!

• NO waiting to get on the ship!
  • NO lines for dining room!
  • NO bad food in "free" dining areas!
  • NO miserable or unfriendly crew!

Oh, and ...NO DOUBT we'll be cruising with NCL again - 2 for 2 perfection!!!

:)

Very nice to see a positive, upbeat post. Sometimes people dwell on a few negative things that happened and forget that the majority of their vacation was wonderful. Thanks for sharing!

• 2 weeks later...

We are traveling on the Star Jan 3 09 and this is cruise # 4 on this ship over the last 4 years. We are fortunate enough to be in an AB suite, a duplication of last trips cabin. We have always had a great time on the Star.

The crew has always been engaged and friendly, food great and service very particular and passenger based (imho). I'm happy you had a great time and would expect nothing less.

Last time we cruised we had Simone (from South Africa) as a Conciere (sp), she was awesome. I'm hoping if she has moved on the "new one" carries on her professional tradition. We use both the Conciere and the Butler daily.

One concern I have on the Jan 3 sailing date is that I have heard from cruise staff that the New Years cruise is "holy heck" with minors not being supervised, etc,etc, and the crew in general is really burned out after. Hopefully we can just all be low key, have a good time and help them help us.

Thanks for the post!

Jim

Archived