Puerto Caldera to San Jose Airport

nadalina

Due to time constraints, I will only be taking a partial cruise in December and will be disembarking in Puerto Caldera prior to its scheduled disembarkation in Valparaiso. I understand it is a two-hour-plus drive from the port to the airport in San Jose. Can anyone confirm this and also recommend someone with whom I can make arrangements to pick me up at the cruise ship terminal in Puerto Caldera and take me to the San Jose airport. I will be traveling alone and obviously will need someone dependable and trustworthy.

Many thanks,

Peggy

Thanks, SANNC. I tried them but their one pickup per day at the Hilton near Puerto Caldera won't get me to the San Jose airport in time for my flight and they offered no other options. So I'm still looking if anyone has any other suggestions.

Thanks,

Peggy

In no particular order I would; Talk to the local tour operators & see what they suggest. Talk to someone at that Hilton hotel or the Marriott Los Suenos and see if they might recommend a local driver. There is a board on Yahoo for Expats in costa rica http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CostaRicaLiving/

join & post a request. Post a request for info on the Frommers travel board.

I've spent a good deal of time in CR and I know you will be able to get a cab so the only question is how much is a fair fare, determine that and then make the deal at the dock.

To answer your question on the time of the trip. 2.5 hours is a fair estimate, but take into consideration that there is only one major highway. An accident or two can completely tie things up so leave as much time as possible. One other thing: everyone who leaves Costa Rica must pay a $26.00 fee and get receipt showing that it has been paid. There are 2 booths in the airport lobby to do this, but I would try to pay it at the Port when you arrive. You should have to go thru immigration at the port so ask them if you can pay your departure tax there as it will save you time at the airport. The airport has been greatly improved in the last few years, but at times the lines can still be extremely long.

Thanks again, SANNC. That is valuable information to have. If my flights leaves from San Jose at 3:30, then what time would you suggest I leave Caldera? Initially I was thinking 11:00 a.m. but I may need to leave earlier.

I really appreciate your advice.

Peggy

You should be fine with that timing. Thr trip is probably a little under 60 miles and should only take right around 2hrs. so I think you have enough time built in.

If you wanted to be on the very safe side you might consider 10:30.

I contacted Costa Rica Shuttle and they quoted me a price of $100 for the trip. That seems a little high but I don't think it is negotiable. They responded to my email immediately and appear to be reputable. So, unless you have information to the contrary, SANNC, I think I will go ahead and confirm the reservation. Thanks again for your help with this matter.

Archived