Chankanaab w/dophins - December - Carnival Legend

Gotaquestion

We did this when we cruised on RCI Liberty in Nov 2007. We loved it. Booked directly through Dolphin Discovery instead of through the ship, as ours did not offer the Royal Swim (which is the one where they push and pull you). My older son did that w/ DH (son was a few months shy of 10) and younger ds and I did the encounter (he was 5.5). If I'm correct, the royal requires kids to be at least 8.

It was so much better than the one we watched with the ships passengers. They didn't do as much as the royal, there were at least 15 or more per group (dh and ds had only 8 or 9) and it was just too disorganized. They were all gone by the time younger ds and I did ours and it ended up being the 2 of us, the instructor and the dolphin. A private meet and greet. So great.

You can also enjoy all that the park has to offer so if you want to spend additional time there, going on your own is easy and quick. Just exit and catch a cab on the street. Prices are fixed. Easy to get back too.

It was an amazing experience for all of us. My kids would do it again in a minute.

ETA: Everyone must wear a lifevest that they provide to you. Younger ds had his built in flotation suit on and he had to change to their lifevest. You'll be fine.

We did the Royal Swim in March of this year and I agree with njmomof2! It was incredible!

We had a couple teenagers in our group but the biggest "scaredy cat" was a guy who was in his 30's.

All the kids I saw doing it had a great time!

Loved it on our Legend cruise last year...our favorite excursion!! Beautiful place, right on the beach...restuarants/bars, lagoon, big pool with swim up bar, gardens and mimi replicas of the ruins to walk thru. The Dolphin swim was excellent...we did the swim, not the Royal...$99 ...booked thru cozumelinsider dot com.

You will love it!!

My daughter was 8 when we did it in August 2006. It is definitely a MUST DO. We will do it again someday. We booked through the ship and it was called the Royal Swim then. If offered everything except the push. We were in groups of 10. It was AWESOME! We have great pictures and a DVD that we watch all the time. UNFORGETTABLE EXPERIENCE! Don't miss out. Afterwards the beach was beautiful and relaxing. GO AND ENJOY!:cool:

Loved it on our Legend cruise last year...our favorite excursion!! Beautiful place, right on the beach...restuarants/bars, lagoon, big pool with swim up bar, gardens and mimi replicas of the ruins to walk thru. The Dolphin swim was excellent...we did the swim, not the Royal...$99 ...booked thru cozumelinsider dot com.

You will love it!!

Gotta agree with ya - Chankanaab is beatiful! If you go, plan on spending the day there. Aside from the dolphin pens, there is a large snorkeling area with an incredible diversity of sea life. We have seen everything from flounders to barracuda!

Hey lin, shouldn't you be off packing :confused: :D. Have a great time next week!

We did this a few years ago. We also booked directly through Dolphin Discovery, better price than ship excursion and less people. They use 2 dolphins, and they even did the trick where the two dolphins lift you up and out of the water! It was awesome! I would go there again in a minute. We were there just after one of the hurricanes, and there was quite a bit of damage, but we still had a great time!

big pool with swim up bar,

We swam in the pool after our dolphin swim too. One thing we thought was weird -- the swim up bar had no one working in it at all. When DH went to set his beer (which he bought from the park) down on the bar, someone from the park told him you couldn't put alcoholic beverages on the bar and you couldn't have them in the pool. The kids were able to put their (nonalcoholic of course) drinks on the bar no problem.

Anyone have any idea why they would have things this way?? Is there some crazy Mexican law that forbids you to have alcoholic beverages in a swimming pool?? (If there is, then we broke it the next day in Progreso!)

We're booked on the Inspiration to Cozomel and we have the Royal Dolphin Swim scheduled! We wouldn't this chance to do something this exotic! And its our first cruise so we figure to do it big! We booked directly & paid $150 pp, but they had this promotion in September to save $30 pp so we ended up paying $240 total. We have not read ONE bad thing about this place and this excursion and dolphins have always peeked our curiousity! We cannot wait! :D I'll def be sure to come back and post reviews so no worries!

I went earlier this year and am going again in January. As far as I can see it is very safe. There is an age and height restriction however. Everyone wears a life vest. The Dolphins are very friendly and the children and adults will have a great time. It is a very gratifiying experience. The Dolphins actually push you on a boogie board, pull you by their fins and let you hold them like a baby. All with the trainners supervision. I highly recommend this activity. Go to Cozumelinsider.com for a better rate than the cruise line excursion. Chankanaab Park is a few minutes from the pier. It cost 10.00 per cab(up to 4 Persons) each way. The activity includes entry into the park and if you would like to snorkel, there is a great snorkeling area there. To rent fins/mask/and inflatable vest is about 15.00 for the day. The snorkel comes with it , and you get to keep it. They do not recycle them.Very nice park, I hear that it was founded by Jacques Cousteau.

we have been there 4 times. Every time we go to cozumel my ds begs to go swim w/dolphins. He has done the royal swim twice and the other program twice. I think it was something like push pull. Except for the first time when he was about 10 he has done this by himself. The last time we went last june and there were only 4 people participating. He got to have alot of one on one with the dolphins. Since we don't have to go with him anymore we let him do it twice. It is very safe. The park is also very nice since it was renovated after the last hurricane.

Archived