Do NCL spas have an accupuncturist?

flashdog_1

I'd seen ads on other cruiselines, and finally went for a "treatment" during our Alaska cruise. Ship prices were no higher than here in our town. The treatment was so very effective, and the results have lasted and lasted, almost 2 months now. So I'm wondering if I can expect to find one on board. Thanks.

I'd seen ads on other cruiselines, and finally went for a "treatment" during our Alaska cruise. Ship prices were no higher than here in our town. The treatment was so very effective, and the results have lasted and lasted, almost 2 months now. So I'm wondering if I can expect to find one on board. Thanks.

NCL Pearl spa had one onboard last year, but not sure if all spas have them.

I too enjoy acupuncture treatments; glad you enjoyed yours.

JRinBalt

My mom got an acupuncture treatment on the Jade this past Feb. She said the treatment helped her ailing back and she was happy with the acupuncture service.

--- Couple of notes regarding mandatory gratuities and pricey spa items - My mother talked with the acupuncturist for about 10 minutes about treatment and how much it would cost, etc. before booking an appointment, but the acupunturist did not mention that there would be a gratuity automatically included on the bill (mandatory 18%). Also Mom came back from her appointment with a bag containing a loofah bath brush and a small bottle of spa lotion. I thought how neat, they gave her some complimentary gifts (at least that's what I assumed since I know they were not the type of items my mother would typically buy for herself at home, let alone on a cruise). But when I made a comment about it she told me that when she was checking out at the spa desk they asked her if she wanted the brush and lotion and, thinking they came with the treatment, she said 'yes'. Now my mom is 80 years old and not the type of person to make a fuss, plus she was a bit embarrased I think - so when they added the items to her bill, even though she didn't want them she said nothing and just signed the receipt. However, the gratuity plus the two spa items added almost $145 to her bill - $45 for the mandatory gratuity and, to my amazement, close to $100 for the loofah brush and spa lotion! So I called the spa and explained my mother's confusion/mistake about thinking the brush and lotion were complimentary and said we wished to bring them back. The woman at the spa desk was very nice and said there was no problem returning the items and getting the charges removed - great!

As for the mandatory gratuity charge, when I spoke to the acupuncturist she said that though she agrees she should have mentioned it when she quoted the price and she apologized, she couldn't do anything about the charge. And it's not that I thought anything would/should be done (we have no problem tipping when/where appropriate) but I do feel we should be informed of mandatory fees, costs, gratuities, etc. upfront and I just hoped expressing our unhappiness that this wasn't done would prompt her to do so for others in the future.

Cheers,

Joyce

Also Mom came back from her appointment with a bag containing a loofah bath brush and a small bottle of spa lotion. I thought how neat, they gave her some complimentary gifts (at least that's what I assumed since I know they were not the type of items my mother would typically buy for herself at home, let alone on a cruise). But when I made a comment about it she told me that when she was checking out at the spa desk they asked her if she wanted the brush and lotion and, thinking they came with the treatment, she said 'yes'.

I have people in my party who refuse to go to the spa because they booked a massage and felt like the entire time they were in a infomercial for soaps, lotions etc and didn't make it relaxing at all. I tell them normally (as crew or as passenger) im not going to be buying any products before I start.

I have people in my party who refuse to go to the spa because they booked a massage and felt like the entire time they were in a infomercial for soaps, lotions etc and didn't make it relaxing at all. I tell them normally (as crew or as passenger) im not going to be buying any products before I start.

Smart! I'll be sure and coach my mom with your sage advice next time she plans on venturing into the lions' den ;-)

~Joyce

Archived