road information

lovetexas

Hello- My mom is going on a cruise on the 9th. When she returns she needs to go to Palacios. A little town about 3 hours south. We always travel the 1001 through Surfside and Freeport. I am afraid it is destroyed! Does anyone know of the condition of this road? Thanks again!!:o

well I am not sure if that is the name of the highway we take or not? It goes over a toll bridge and then right by the water- beautiful drive-- and through a bunch of little sea towns that i thought may have been destroyed?

Don't plan on taking the Bluewater Highway from the West End of Galveston to Surfside and Freeport. It is impassable as there are huge chunks of the highway missing. You'll have to go FM 2004 from I-45 to get to the Freeport area.

The Bluewater highway runs from the toll bridge over the San Luis Pass, along the beach, to Surfside and Freeport.

That road is NOT in service. It has large sections of highway washed away by Ivan.

As CGBCRuiser stated, the next quickest way is to go up I-45 to 2004 and take it to Lake Jackson.

local.google.com has pretty up-to-date maps, and us locals can tell you about any of the roads you have questions about.

Good Luck! Palacios is a cute little town.

well I am not sure if that is the name of the highway we take or not? It goes over a toll bridge and then right by the water- beautiful drive-- and through a bunch of little sea towns that i thought may have been destroyed?

If you have any questions about taking the drive from San Luis Pass to Surfside/Freeport area via Bluewater Highway, I would suggest checking with TXDOT. I feel sure that it is still not passable and there are large chunks of the road missing. I saw in our local paper today that Brazoria County will be receiving a sum of money to make needed repairs to that highway. Good luck!

Thanks so much-- everyone on this web site is GREAT!!!

I am currently trying to convince 2 70 yearish old widows from the country that going the easy road is best! We have decided to call the TXDOT like suggested-- thanks a bunch--

Yes Palacios is a great town-- I have a wonderful connection for all my shrimp needs-- I bring back to the Metroplex bags for my friends.

We love that little town!!!:p:)

Thanks so much-- everyone on this web site is GREAT!!!

Yes Palacios is a great town-- I have a wonderful connection for all my shrimp needs-- I bring back to the Metroplex bags for my friends.

We love that little town!!!:p:)

My husbands family spent years from 1915 onward

on Carancahua Bay just west of Palacios.

It is a great little town with the big old beach hotel and the pier with round pavillon for bands music and dancing on Saturdays in the old days:D.

My good friend (she's also my daughter's godmother) is from Palacios. Her family owns a shrimping business there. The ladies from our church go on retreats down there. The retreat center is right on Matagorda Bay and it is a pretty sight. Hope you have fun on your trip! :)

Here's a link to some of the damage from Hurricane Ike to many areas. You can check out the Brazoria County/Surfside area and I believe there are some pictures there of the road we've been discussing. There have been new pictures added as recently as 11/2/08.

http://www.tpicks.com/pictures%20people%20have%20sent%20me.html

Yes- I have seen some of those before, but I had not seen the new ones-

It is still hard to believe the amount of water-

I had seen Surfside on the news when the hurricane was approaching.

Thanks for your help-

Yes- I know where all those places in and around Palacios are-- my parents have had these houses there for over 15 years. They loved the town, but since my dad is now gone my mom just can't handle going...

One is 1936 Greek shipping home- beautiful-

The other is 1938- 2 story really pretty-

We feel they are 2 of the best houses in Palacios as far as design goes-

Thanks again- I believe my mom will take a different route-- maybe stop at the hatchery in Lake Jackson....

Archived