Blackberries, anyone?

Dee777

I am a Blackberry aficionado. It is not only necessary for my daily communications work-wise, but the internet capabilities are detrimental to my job as well. I know that my cruise is my vacation, and that I should leave my work at home. However, at times it is necessary for others to be able to consult with me periodically on urgent matters.

This being said, I feel the need to ask: (though I think I know the answer lol) Has anyone else brought their Crackberry on cruises, and did it work? I am not up on technology, but I do know that it is different in some ways from a regular cellular phone. Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

Dee

My Pearl has a "phone only" option. Is that as straight forward as is sounds :confused: ?? That in that profile no data will transfer??

I would like to be able to use my phone options - but do not want to have to worry about extra data charges....so can a choose "phone only" and be sure that I will not incur international data charges??

The Phone only profile will not stop data from coming through. It just means you will only be notified when you have a call. The data still comes through. If you want to turn off the data on your pearl go to options, them mobile settings and turn them off there. ;)

The Phone only profile will not stop data from coming through. It just means you will only be notified when you have a call. The data still comes through. If you want to turn off the data on your pearl go to options, them mobile settings and turn them off there. ;)

Ahhhhhh...I am sooooooo glad I asked :eek: .

Ok...went to "options"....then "mobile network" and it gives me 3 choices...."on"..."off" and "off when roaming". If I choose "off when roaming" - is it safe to assume that I will not get data charges that are outside by current plan??

Ahhhhhh...I am sooooooo glad I asked :eek: .

Ok...went to "options"....then "mobile network" and it gives me 3 choices...."on"..."off" and "off when roaming". If I choose "off when roaming" - is it safe to assume that I will not get data charges that are outside by current plan??

To be on the safe side, as I am not certain for sure about anything, I am going to contact my service provider before I go lol.

It is amazing, though, the information we can glean from this site, eh? So many knowledgeable people willing to help us out! Thank you, everyone!

That should work. Yes I would encourage you to check with your provider before you cruise. I know my dad left his phone on on our last cruise and was charged international rates for voicemails left while we were at sea. Some providers will encourage you to add the international roaming package for month you cruise and then cancel it upon your return to soften the blow of phone bill. You may want to check out the crackberry forums for additional info too!

That should work. Yes I would encourage you to check with your provider before you cruise. I know my dad left his phone on on our last cruise and was charged international rates for voicemails left while we were at sea. Some providers will encourage you to add the international roaming package for month you cruise and then cancel it upon your return to soften the blow of phone bill. You may want to check out the crackberry forums for additional info too!

Yeah...I usually add the "World Traveler Plan" offered by AT&T so that the calls (and voice mails) are less than without it. But this will be my first cruise with a phone that is so connected to data and the internet.

Ideally I would like to contiune to use the BB as a phone only- with no data, sending or receiving- for the week. No email that I get is worth the international roaming data fees :( .

Now... I guess I do have one more question.....in St. Thomas and San Juan I should still get data even if I choose "off when roaming" because those locations are not roaming, they are included in my plan. Right ??:confused: ??

I keep trying to find those with BB experience because DS had an iPhone and it is my understanding that there is NO way to turn the data off on it. So I guess he will be leaving it a home - which is not a bad idea either :rolleyes: .

I am a Blackberry aficionado. It is not only necessary for my daily communications work-wise, but the internet capabilities are detrimental to my job as well. I know that my cruise is my vacation, and that I should leave my work at home. However, at times it is necessary for others to be able to consult with me periodically on urgent matters.

This being said, I feel the need to ask: (though I think I know the answer lol) Has anyone else brought their Crackberry on cruises, and did it work? I am not up on technology, but I do know that it is different in some ways from a regular cellular phone. Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

Dee

I was wondering the same..what service prodiver are you? I'm bell mobility...i need my berry...even if its just to send a quick meeesege home say all is well!!

I was wondering the same..what service prodiver are you? I'm bell mobility...i need my berry...even if its just to send a quick meeesege home say all is well!!

I am with SaskTel. They have the best coverage where I live.

I contacted my cellular carrier before I left. I added the international phone feature for a flat rate, which helped to reduce my per minute charges. Roaming rates would have been outrageously expensive. Calling rates depended on the port of call, compared to using the phone features while "at sea". For example, MX was $1.59/minute, Jamaica was $1.99/minute. Whereas Of course, "at sea" phone calls were expensive at $2.49/minute. This was all siginificantly lower than just "roaming".

I was able to receive texts at $0.20/message. This was a great alternative to using the internet/data feature. I got the messages that I needed to, and left the unnecessary stuff for when I got home.

As far as the internet/data capabilities, I turned them off for the duration of my trip. Although I have unlimited internet/data access, there is a charge for use 'internationally'. I didn't want to incur unnecessary charges--so I kept the data plan off.

I was, after all, on vacation. I was able to de-stress and unwind for the 7 days away from the office--it was definitely worth it.

I have Alltel and since the whole family is going I really hadn't thought about taking mine except that I may need it driving to and from Miami. I may check with ALLTEL just to see what Id be charged in case I did have to make a call.

Hey Vacation Junkie, you might want to do some more research. I believe that Bell Mobility is a CDMA network. I know that the cruise ships have GSM coverage but I'm not sure about CDMA. Also, the Carribean is all GSM, no CDMA. Your BB most likely will not get coverage on the islands.

I'm not interested in using it as a phone or for internet browsing. I ONLY want to be able to send/receive e-mails. Does anybody know the pricing structure for that? I'm with Sprint, if that means anything...

I am pretty sure that still falls under "international data roaming" - but I would call Sprint's customer service and ask specifically.

Well, I'm under some huge corporate plan and my bill goes DIRECTLY to the company. I've already spoken to our company rep who said it would be included. I suspect he may be mistaken, but I'd rather ask forgiveness than permission, if it is a big overage...

Yeah Even when you look at Sprint's website isn't exactly clear...the way I read it is that e-mail= data usage and it has an additional charge...but it is about a clear as mud :( I'm thinking I'm going to just call it a day and turn the phone off for the duration of the cruise...

Yeah Even when you look at Sprint's website isn't exactly clear...the way I read it is that e-mail= data usage and it has an additional charge...but it is about a clear as mud :( I'm thinking I'm going to just call it a day and turn the phone off for the duration of the cruise...

Well...here is what I think I am going to do....since I will need the phone in FT. Lauderdale - the day before we sail....

Once on board I will switch to "off" for data. I will add the AT&T World Traveller plan - like I always have - and that way if there is some sort of crisis (work or home) and I get a call it won't be too crazy. I will also still be able to use the clock feature - which will be convenient.

When we return to Ft. Lauderdale I will turn the data back "on" and return to BB life ;).

Still can't get an answer about data charges for San Juan and St. Thomas - so I figure this was is the safest NOT to end up with a huge bill :o!!

I'm not interested in using it as a phone or for internet browsing. I ONLY want to be able to send/receive e-mails. Does anybody know the pricing structure for that? I'm with Sprint, if that means anything...

Drew_B,

I believe that Sprint also uses the CDMA network. I checked Carnivals website and they don't go into any details other than to say they now provide cell phone coverage. I saw for myself they have GSM coverage but I don't know about CDMA.

Can anyone confirm/deny CDMA coverage on Carnival ships?

Archived