Bannister or Cay Caulker???

ireland666666

Caye Caulker is not a very touristy place, more of a backpacker type vibe there. There aren't any real sandy beaches, but the water is beautiful. The entrance is either rocky or by dock. I personally love it there, but many cruise visitors don't seem to enjoy it much. I think Bannister is more of a private island geared toward cruise passengers. I think it has a "real" beach, but I've never been there.

I choose Caye Caulker for the swimming with the rays and the coral gardens. I am thinking it is a better reef choice. If you go to Bannister, you will have the better beach, but only a slim chance of a manatee sighting(no swimming) and no rays and sharks.

I'm doing the beach in Cozumel and Costa Maya and want the best snorkling choice in Belize. However, your time in the boat getting to the barrier reef will be 45 minutes VS 15 minutes to Bannister Island.

Watching youtube videos and googling peoples' photos made the decision for me.

About half my group went to Bannister Island in June and said it was beautiful. From all the reviews I read before we went, this is one of the prettiest beaches in the area if you want a nice beach. We booked through a private company that offered snorkeling, Bannister island and manatee watch. Our group chose not to snorkel. They didn't see any manatees that day. Hope you enjoy whatever you decide to do.

Archived