Direct hit from Cat 2; affected excursions? Input from Locals?

CP3o

It looks like Grand Cayman is going to be hit hard by Paloma. I believe their building standards are better than many other areas so think they will be up and running quickly after the storm. The locals will be in our thoughts, hope they are all ok.

Does anyone have any idea how the turtle farm will fare? Or if the reef Atlantis subs uses might be expected to incur damage and have less fish to see on a post storm excursion there?

Thanks.

Just got a message from a friend of mine who lives on Grand Cayman...no major damage that she's aware of. She has a leak in the roof, but back in '04 their roof was ripped off by hurricane Ivan. This time they were hit by the outer bands of the hurricane that was more like category 1 winds. However, Cayman Brac got hit by the category 4 winds. No word on how things are there.

There are very few signs of damage around Grand Cayman. Hurricane Paloma spared us the worst but unfortunately our Sister islands of Cayman Brac and Little Cayman took a direct hit.

Around GC there are a few trees down and some power lines were down. There was a LOT of rain with this storm and some associated flooding of low lying areas - but not from storm surge.

There should be little effect on the normal tourist activities and I expect cruise ships to be calling again very soon.

Received news from relative in the Caymans today. GCI did not fare too badly. Mostly up by the East End got the brunt of it....However, the Brac suffered >90% severe damage. Locals have cleared part of the runway so planes can arrive and leave, but it might be a long time for them to recover. Ironically it was on the anniversary of the deadly 1932 storm that killed many people....including 14 of my husbands relatives. If you google Cayman news you can easily find pictures. I understand that there are not many leaves left, and in a week things will be brown and stinky once the vegetation starts to rot.....but they will clear the tourists areas pretty fast. Aa Foster who lives in Alaska.....but whose heart will always be in Cayman

Archived