Airport/hotel/port locations - Vancouver

Having never been to Vancouver, I'm trying to help my parents plan their Alaskan cruisetour next May. They currently have travel accommodations booked with Holland America, but they're beginning to think they may be to do it on their own for less money.

They're considering several things right now. I'm just trying to help them decide on something so they can decide whether to cancel their travel with HAL.

They can fly into Seattle and spend the night there with family and rent a car or take the train to Vancouver. They can fly into Vancouver and stay in a hotel and use shuttles/cabs to get to the port. The can fly into Vancouver the day of embarkation, but that will be cutting really close.

If they go to Vancouver the day before they leave, what hotels would you recommend? Do any have shuttles from the airport and to the cruise port or do they just need to rely on cabs?

I'm just looking for any advice or suggestions especially from those of you who have been in this situation before.

I'm cross-posting this over on the HAL board also.

Many thanks!!

Options. You have so many options. First of all I'm a bit bias towards Vancouver, and any time spent here I think would be better than say Seattle :)

Air is generally less expensive into Seattle however and if there is family they could get them to the Train on the morning of the cruise to get to Vancouver and a short cab to the Port. (My choice.... a great trip)

#2 flying into Vancouver and taking a fixed Price Limo to any of the great hotels available downtown. In the higher range you could have them stay in the two hotels near or at Canada place that allow them to get their luggage to ship direct from the hotel on the morning of the cruise.

Other than that a cab/limo or Airport Bus shuttle (bus is cheapest none are free into town) from the airport is needed to anyplace in the down town. There are the usual chains available. Do some thinking an then you can get into hotels if you need to.

I recommend the day before arrival but of course a lot of folks do fly in the same day and go direct from the airport to the ship.

[quote=LeftcoastBC;16917672 In the higher range you could have them stay in the two hotels near or at Canada place that allow them to get their luggage to ship direct from the hotel on the morning of the cruise.

What the names of the hotels that get your luggage from hotel to ship directly? Thanks!

Having never been to Vancouver, I'm trying to help my parents plan their Alaskan cruisetour next May. They currently have travel accommodations booked with Holland America, but they're beginning to think they may be to do it on their own for less money.

They're considering several things right now. I'm just trying to help them decide on something so they can decide whether to cancel their travel with HAL.

They can fly into Seattle and spend the night there with family and rent a car or take the train to Vancouver. They can fly into Vancouver and stay in a hotel and use shuttles/cabs to get to the port. The can fly into Vancouver the day of embarkation, but that will be cutting really close.

If they go to Vancouver the day before they leave, what hotels would you recommend? Do any have shuttles from the airport and to the cruise port or do they just need to rely on cabs?

I'm just looking for any advice or suggestions especially from those of you who have been in this situation before.

I'm cross-posting this over on the HAL board also.

Many thanks!!

As posted earlier both Pan Pacific and Faimont's Waterfront offer poterage of bags from hotel to Canada Place. As for shutles to Canada Place from downtown Vancouver Hotels to my knowldge only the Best Western, Downtown on Drake St., the Hampton Inn and Suites and Weston's Bayshore Inn and Grand offer free shuttles. However cab fares from most downtown hotels to CP will be less than $15. So with that it leaves a number of options open and will come down to budget. Hotels like the Hyatt Regency, the Blue Horizon and the Sandman Inn on W. Georgia should offer rooms at less than $200. None of the downtown hotels offer shuttles from the airport, cab fare will run about $35 or there is the Airporter shuttle at $13.75 pp or $21.50 rtn.

http://www.yvrairporter.com/

If you have family in Seattle I would suggest your folks fly in to Seattle a little earl and visit family. Then take the train to Vancouver either the day of the cruise or the day before. If the day before have them stay at the Pan Pacific nestled above the cruise ship terminal so the ship is only an elevator ride away or accross the street at the Fairmont Waterfront Hotel. Both are great hotels however my favorite is the Pan Pacific (yes have stayed there even though I am a local)! We have lots of great restaurants here in Vancouver and Gas Town (the original old part of Vancouver) is only a 2 block walk away so lots to do very close to the hotel.

Archived