Does anyone know why...

MISSSNOOPYGIRL

Uhh, gee, thanks for the help.

I thought maybe this was discussed before on CC. That's what these boards are for, to help fellow cruisers right? Not spout off smart a** remarks.

I guess someone is having a bad day and you came along. Anyway, I just think CCL is trying to keep their ships full and keep a smile on the faces of their customers.

Uhh, gee, thanks for the help.

I thought maybe this was discussed before on CC. That's what these boards are for, to help fellow cruisers right? Not spout off smart a** remarks.

Oh I get it......you want to know what people "think" why it was changed:rolleyes: Not why Carnival changed it.........

And how is this helping you btw:confused:

Carnival changed the dress code in the dining rooms? Was it due to complaints or them trying to be a more casual line?

I'm assuming it's because jeans and other non formal wear is more widely excepted than it used to be, you can look just as nice with jeans on, as you can with a pair of slacks.

I have been on a few cruises since the new dress code went into effect and i honestly have not seen a change for the worst in the dining room, everyone seems to be dressing the way they always have.

Ok, ok, lets all play nice.

OP, I think you ask a very good question. Personally, I hope PART of the reason Carnival relaxed the dress code for formal nights was because they were taking into consideration the new baggage restrictions by airlines. By relaxing the dress code passengers can POSSIBLY pack a little less. For example, on our upcoming New Years cruise I may not pack a jacket which would save quite a lot of space. I may just wear a dress shirt and tie (and, smarties, pants of course :D).

I do not know why Carnival changed the dress code.

What I do know is that enforcement of the dress code, formal AND casual, was PITIFUL, at best. In fact enforcement would have to double or triple to get all the way up to pitiful.

So the reality was that they had NO dress code.

Yet,

Formal nights showed a better than 80% compliance with the formal dress code. Sport jacket and tie, suit, or tux.

Even tho they honored the dress code to that degree, did they complain on the comment cards? None of us here know that.

So Carnival changed to the "Cruise Elegant BS". It takes no effort whatsoever to comply, yet it too, is ignored by customers and dining room staff from Maitre D' on down.

Why change if enforcement remains at zero?

If they are not going to DO a dress code, why HAVE a dress code?

Dan

I think maybe it's because restaurants in general have relaxed their dress codes. I live in Florida and you see jeans and shorts in the nicest of restaurants. We just got off the Fascination and it was nice not having to pack bulky formal wear. Also, even though the dress code has been relaxed a bit, everyone looked nice.

I mean if I had the time to be on here 24/7 like Turbanfan maybe I would know. But I have a JOB.

Turbanfan....LOL!!!

Nice comeback!

I'm not exaclty sure why they changed it but I think a couple of people on here are on the right track. All I know is I am glad that they did. Less to pack for show & tell.

Wow, some people are getting a bit testy today. Maybe because the daylight hours are decreasing.:confused:

To answer (or not to answer, according to some posts on this thread), Carnival is not the only cruise line to go softer on formal attire. DH & I have cruised several lines over the past couple of years and those lines have relaxed rules on formal attire as well.

Today's dress codes at work and in the public world have changed just as much as the dress codes on ships. NCL & Carnival were the first of the cruise lines we've sailed to relax dress codes for formal night. The relaxed dress codes don't mean you can't wear tuxedos and long formal gowns, just means you don't have to.

On Dawn Princess last April I was amazed at how few suit coats and tuxedos were worn vs shirt and tie and more and more women were wearing dressy pants and sparkly tops vs long, flowing gowns. Wasn't that way a few years ago.

It's a sign of the times and the new dress codes by clothing designers that actually rule today's clothing standards, not the cruise lines. Cruise lines just try to keep up with clothing trends to keep the majority of their customers happy.

Dianne

It's a sign of the times and the new dress codes by clothing designers that actually rule today's clothing standards, not the cruise lines. Cruise lines just try to keep up with clothing trends to keep the majority of their customers happy.

Dianne

I think they were just following what was requested on the comment cards, and as Dan40 said they weren't enforcing the code anyway so what difference did it make. I still don't like to see ball caps worn at the table but maybe thats just me.

I do not know why Carnival changed the dress code.

What I do know is that enforcement of the dress code, formal AND casual, was PITIFUL, at best. In fact enforcement would have to double or triple to get all the way up to pitiful.

So the reality was that they had NO dress code.

Yet,

Formal nights showed a better than 80% compliance with the formal dress code. Sport jacket and tie, suit, or tux.

Even tho they honored the dress code to that degree, did they complain on the comment cards? None of us here know that.

So Carnival changed to the "Cruise Elegant BS". It takes no effort whatsoever to comply, yet it too, is ignored by customers and dining room staff from Maitre D' on down.

Why change if enforcement remains at zero?

If they are not going to DO a dress code, why HAVE a dress code?

Dan

yikes....loosen the bone Wilma

why not have a dress code and not be rigid about enforcing it? What's the big deal?

I have been cruising only since 2002 and am a VIP. Never have I seen any enforcement of the dress code. I have seen jeans each and every formal night on all my cruises. The code was just not enforced. So why have it and not enforce it. Also, the subject leads to comments like above, which in turn fuels the disagreement even more. And then it is sit back and popcorn for all.

Who's having a bad day or life:confused: The op asked a question and the answers were decent enough. Most will be assumptions, and some will direct them to the source, which is Carnival..........

I'm not sure why they changed it either. My assumption would be because Carnival is reacting to the sign of the times. If I really wanted to know why I would write Carnival and ask.........

Who's having a bad day or life:confused: The op asked a question and the answers were decent enough. Most will be assumptions, and some will direct them to the source, which is Carnival..........

I'm not sure why they changed it either. My assumption would be because Carnival is reacting to the sign of the times. If I really wanted to know why I would write Carnival and ask.........

Not all responses were nice.....most were but there was one that was not nice at all...

Why don't you write and ask them:confused:

No the response the kurbanfan posted was not nice.....period.

Ok I know we are getting off the subject and I apologize op, but I certainly see nothing with the above response from Kurbanfan. It was pretty direct but not rude. What I did see is the op came back with a snotty post because that is not what the op wanted to hear:p Funny how people interpret things differently.

But I do know one thing...this will eventually get controversial:pand then go poof:p

Let me try, again, to get things back on topic....

The airlines baggage charges is what I believe a factor in the relaxed formal night dress code.

I may stand corrected but I believe the dress code was changed before the airlines started charging for bags.

Archived