Hacienda Retreat

Diva Onboard

This excursion takes you to a privately owned family hacienda whose family wealth has come from agriculture in sugarcane and coffee and most recently, macadamia nuts. The hacienda is located in the region of the hills of Turrialba, a region blessed with tropical forests. You learn about the cultivation of sugarcane and coffee. You see the Reventazon River and its dam from this valley. Lunch is served there. You also visit a chapel brought by Germans in 1880.

If anyone has done this excursion, we would appreciate your comments.

• 2 months later...

Would someone please provide a review of the Hacienda Experience tour (hacienda is located in the region of the hills of Turrialba). We were thinking about doing it on the Brillance of the Sea Panama tour in mid March. Does Oscar do something similar to this tour?

Well: here is a brief review as well as I can remember. We were on the Summit, and were taking this tour on Good Friday (last year).

The bus takes you through the city, and then on a highway leading to the hills. I would say it is about a 30 minute ride. Going up into the hills you pass a few quaint little towns, and on Good Friday all the people had religous shrines infront of their homes.

Once up to the site of the Hacienda, you go with a guide through the different buildings, a small museum. A demonstration of the making of sugar syrup goes on in a shed where you see donkeys circleing a grinding machine that is extracting the sugar from the cane.

On top of the hill is the original home, and you can look down at the river and valley below. Lots of steps.

Lunch is served in the restaurant overlooking the valley. It consisted of Chicken, rice, vegs, bread and dessert. Can't remember if wine is available, but coffee and tea were served also. The lunch was buffet style.

That's it.

Grace

• 6 months later...

I just wanted to revive this thread for those who may not be interested in Zip-lining or the beach. I took the The Hacienda Experience tour offered through the ship and I am so glad I did! The views are breathtaking! The bus ride was about an hour and a half from Puerte Limon, but the tour guide was so informative, we were there before we even knew that it had been that long of a ride. If you click on my pics, choose the Galaxy album, I have some photos from the experience. These pic were taken in February of this year. Costa Rica is a beautiful place once you get away from the ports. Hope you enjoy.

http://community.webshots.com/user/rfera43

Archived