Excursions for 17 month old toddler?

rainskat

We are taking the Mexican Riviera cruise (ports incl PV, Maz, Cabo) with our 17 month old toddler at the end of next month. This is our first cruise. Any suggestions for excursions we can do at the different ports? Are there beaches or resorts within walking distance from the dock?

Thanks in advance!

Rainskat

Hi -

I've posted this before:

In Puerto Vallarta we take the short walk to the Krystal Resort. In the past they have charged $20 per person which is then applied to your food/beverage purchases and is very worth the price - especially considering what the cruise line charges for an excursion to a resort - but the last two times, in Jan and in Oct. 08, once we identified ourselves as cruise passengers, we we waved through the gate. The Krystal has a playground near the pool area (we go there first before it's too hot). We tip an attendant for beach chairs under a canopy and play on the beach and in the sand (bring your towels from the ship), then enjoy lunch and the pool. They have a nice shallow toddler pool attached to the rest of the huge pool area. We bring sand toys and blow up pool toys (great to have a stroller to lug everything). This is always our best shore day.

In Mazatlan there isn't anything walking distance. I'd suggest a shore excursion, but keep in mind that most ship excursions use local taxis, so you'll want to have a car seat. We always do the Papalantas Flyers show + resort excursion. People also like El Cid. Next time I think we'll book something with Mazatlan Frank, who provides his own vans (so we could leave our car seat in the van) and gets rave reviews from Cruise Critic posters (check out the ports of call boards).

In Cabo my toddlers liked the Lands End boat tour, which leaves right from the dock, so no car seat is nec. There is an enclosed area and it's brief - about 45 min. No beach or hotel within walking distance that I know of, so we've done a shore excursion (on the bus) to go to the beach...but lately we avoid getting up early, take our time getting on the tender, and then just take a walk in Cabo and go back to the ship. After 2 resort days in P.V. & Mazatlan, my twins are fine not doing any more swimming the rest of the cruise. My girls LOVE looking at all the pelicans that sit on the little boats at the dock in Cabo. We bring little toys to share with the kids we come across (whose parents are vendors) and the girls always make new friends and then leave the toys behind.

Have a great time!

Best,

Mia

In Acapulco we did the Beach Break (NCL) and it was a 40 minute bus ride to the Diamond area. We were at a really nice Condominium resort with amazing service, food and pool. The beach wasn't the greatest as it was pretty dirty so the pool was where we stayed. This was a great day!

Mazatlan - we just walked around the market at the pier.

PV- We went to the Sea Life Park. This was TERRIBLE. Do not waste your time and money. Filthy dirty. Many people recommend the Krystal resort so I would try that next time.

Ixtapa - we did the Las Gatas Beach break. We didn't like this at all. Too crowded and the food was not good. Very hard to get around the beach area.

Cabo - we walked around. Very pretty port. Wished we woudl have done an excursion.

We were travelling with a 16 month old. He is very easy going so we didn't have any troubles with the ports.

Just bring sunscreen, hat and lots of water as it was very hot when we went last month.

Have a great trip!

Hi there - we are doing this same itinerary on Sapphire Princess next week (11/29) and DS will turn 16 months while on ship. I will post a review about how it went, but here's what we're planning:

PV: Krystal

Mazatlan: Stone Island on our own (step-by-step directions are on Mexican Riviera board) and eating at Victors. They have sand toys the kids can use for free with meal.

Cabo: Grandparents are watching DS, so DH and I are going jet skiing. Not sure exactly where yet...

Stacey

Archived