belizecruiseexcursions.com

Tropixx

I'm looking to see the Altun Ha ruins. Has anyone taken this tour with belizecruiseexcursions.com recently? I've read some good things about them here on CC and their website looks good.

For those that have taken this tour, how long does it take you to wander/walk through the entire site? It looks like we get an hour or so tour followed by another hour to wander ourselves. Does this sound about right? The DW and I aren't exactly gym regulars - will it be a stretch for us to see the entire place at an 'easy going' pace?

Thanx,

TW

Altun Ha is not all that big and you should have no problem seeing it all in an hour or two. It's an easy walk from the parking area. The downside of getting there is it's about an hour drive and the last half of the road is very bumpy. If you were just going to the ruins, between getting there and back and touring the sight, it should be a 3-4 hour excursion. We combined ours with a river cruise for half the trip with a lunch stop in the middle. I really enjoyed seeing all the wildlife on the river part and it was more scenic than the drive. We did a ship tour so I don't know about the vendor you are considering

We did this tour in June. We were originally booked on the Lamanai Riverboat tour but our itinerary was changed and we had a shorter time in Belize and couldn't make it time-wise, so they offered us the Altun Ha tour. We were met right at the pier and walked a block to their little "shop" where we paid. We had about 12 people on this tour with us. Our guide shared all kinds of history about Belize, pointed out sites we were passing, and gave us some history about the ruins too. Once at Altun Ha, we were the first group there so for about 45 minutes, we were the only people there, which was wonderful! Our guide gave us an hour long tour of the site. Then Carnival buses showed up with HUNDREDS of people. ABSOLUTELY DO THIS EXCURSION INDEPENDENTLY for a much more personal and private experience. At this point, we were given plenty of time to wander on our own. There will be plenty of time to see everything even at a leisurely pace. If you are up to it, you can climb to the top of some of the ruins for amazing views.

We made it back to the pier with plenty of time for a quick bite to eat and a little shopping. It was a great excursion and I would recommend it.

IMG_1175.jpg?derivative=medium&source=web.jpg&type=medium&ver=12135458650005

web.jpg

IMG_1189.jpg?derivative=medium&source=web.jpg&type=medium&ver=12135458170005

web.jpg

Sorry, I don't know why some pics are big and some are small. :o

Archived