Thomas Cook

Jackielan

Hi,

Just 2 more months and my family and I should be sailing aroundt eh Carribean on N901 wtih Ventura - I can hardly wait ...... BUT one small thing is worrying me, and that is the flight - no, Im not scared of flying, just that the flight confirmaiton has finally come through and I can see we are with Thomas Cook. My questions are :

As an airline, how are they rated, the few times I have done long haul its always been with schedule, but the thought of a charter flight, in cattle class is giving me nightmares.

What are the benefits of upgrading ? and do I contact Thomas Cook or my local TA ?

How much is the upgrade likely to be, and would it be worth it ?

I am travelling with my mother who is 70 and my 4 year old daughter, so entertainment has to be on both scales.

The thought of a 10 hour flight with my legs cramped up against the spinal cord of the person in front of me is putting a damper on the holiday plans.

Thanks

Hello there, like yourself we are waiting with bated breath regarding this flight. We travel TC in January from Gatwick.

Hopefully, after reading a thread on the P & O site, things have changed regarding the seating arrangements and there is, according to that message, more room.

I couldnt upgrade our seat when we booked over a year ago as these seats were fully booked. I was offered a flight from East Midlands instead but the thought of driving all that way down from Nottingham to Surrey after a night flight didnt appeal so I'm stuck with Gatwick. These upgraded seats are booked through P & O. We have had them on other trips but really, in my opinion, although they are a bit roomier and more comfortable, you are paying the extra for a seat that is the norm on a scheduled trans Atlantic flight. The price I believe is now £199 return pp.

Jimmy

It is true you would be unlikely to get an upgrade at this stage, though they may have cancellaltions. They do book up very fast though I do not know if they keep a waitlist.

We upgraded on our P&O trip to Barbados flying back from Acapulco last December. Like you we were worried. We were on a First Choice flight and I have to say we were pleasantly surprised and felt the upgrade was worth every penny. The legroom was certainly better than on scheduled economy but we also had one of the best meals ever on the flight. Our main course which was served separately from the starter came straight from the oven and was in an individual casserole type dish and piping hot.

I do have to say however, that friends in the standard seats also thought the legroom better than they had expected so you will probably be OK. I guess Thomas Cook would be similar.

We are on a Thomas Cook flight to Montego Bay in January to Sea Princess. I emailed Princess and they have told me that they use an Airbus 33 with 33inch legroom and 23 kilos luggage throughout the plane.

• 2 weeks later...
We have just come back from Barbados with TC in economy. There is plenty of room. As much as you get on scheduled flights.

Each seat has a TV with various shows, films, music and games.

It was a very easy flight.

Enjoy.

Same here we just came back from N819 it was fine. plenty of room and from the sounds better than thompson who passengers ended up being split up etc on way back. We had same seats out and same seats back. Loads of food and drink. Hot food looked nice but didn't touch it as I prefer the cold stuff on air craft. Staff where friendly and polite.

Legroom was massive, like having an exit seat to yourself it was good :) One small point though if you don't like over the ear head phones or have a decent pair already it is best to take them if you can get a two prong adapter - normally you can find these on ebay :)

I am not the best flyer and the flight to Barbados worries me a lot. We could not upgrade as all the seats were taken. I fly to the US a lot but always go sheduled after a nightmare flight on My Travel. The last time I flew I upgraded to business as I had a gig the next day and needed to sleep. So I am really worries now I have been spoilt going back to economy on charter is going to be a nightmare. My biggest complaint is in all that all the P&O brochures there are pitcutres of sheduled aircraft Virgin BA etc... then when you book you find out your on a charter flight.

I hope its ok, as long as they have not cramed an extra row of seats in like mytravel did and the planes are relatively new I will be happy.

Chris

in all that all the P&O brochures there are pitcutres of sheduled aircraft Virgin BA etc... then when you book you find out your on a charter flight.

Erm, if you were flying to barcelona, new york then may be yes, however do you see many flights departing from heathrow going to barbados? At the end of the day if your on a charter flight like TC you get better treatment as you will just get of the plane on to a bus to the ship - not even have to go through the airport at all saves time and if you ever been to the US immigration you will know what i mean :)

Leg room was fine, TC had removed 4 rows and P and O requirement on leg room is 32-34 which is what was stipulated to me in a mail from them so hopefully that will help :-) The good thing about thomas cook is that it will be the same type of aircraft. Unlike Thompson who could send out a going places (which they took over) plane on the way out and a thompson one on the way back - different seat arrangements. So to be honest count yourselves lucky your on TC - I did :D

Slight point on upgrading it is never guarenteed some people even got force back in to economy and money back on our last trip!

:D

Slight point on upgrading it is never guarenteed some people even got force back in to economy and money back on our last trip!

You are joking about people being bumped from Premium, I won't be able to fly in economy so my holiday would be over before it started.

You are joking about people being bumped from Premium, I won't be able to fly in economy so my holiday would be over before it started.

I wasn't you can see some on p and o forums sorry!! :-( some got onboard credit instead on the flight out on the N820 i believe.

However do bare in mind what I said about TC verus Thompson least you get the same type plane there and on return :)

Huw

We were on Thomson coming back from Barbados last Sunday. We heard of at least 2 couples who had paid for Premium and didn't get it on the way back. They weren't even sat together in economy either.

We didn't upgrade and had plenty of room in the seats although the food on the return journey was disgusting.

Ann

It sounds very hit and miss to me. Not great customer service if they promise you an upgrade seat and you don't get it. Its quite simple for the airline and agent you count the number of seats in premium and only sell that number.

Are all flights to Barbados on TC or are Thompsons still doing some?

Also on sitting together can you pre book your seats? or is it just a case of turning up early at the airport? on that note whats the earliers you can check in to fly?? 3hours?? in advance.

It all seems a bit disorganised to me, It would seem sensible to me at least that they should allow you to select your seats online in advance as you can do with almost every other airline in the world.

Chris

Chris,

First of all you can't prebook your seats if you do they will refund you the charge and you will find that you have been reallocate the seats.

Thomas Cook only have one type of aircraft which will do the journey so you are assured the seat you have on way out on the way back

Thompson on the other hand took over first choice and so they have two different types of aircraft which mean that premium is bigger on thompson but not on a first choice plane.

Both Thompson and Thomas Cook do the flights to barbados. The agent just provides the plane, they have no sync with P and O and only after you paid your full balance do they then look at the plane. There have been quite a few that have been reduced to econonmy. Basically all preimum is around 7 rows of 2-3-2 config least i believe that is what it was on thomas cook. So there is not many seats to start of with.

As said previously if your on a Thomas Cook plane then you will find that leg room is much better and if you didnt have to pay for your food on Thomas Cook (you don't travelling with p and o) I would use them as an airline all the time based on the leg room and service :-) I have used American and BA and had worse leg room in economy!

What you do have to realise is that it is chartered therefore they only charter the right size plane for the amount of people going from one location rather than have a half empty plane. also if your flying from leeds bradford you have to stop at manchester to refuel on the way out with thompson.

Thank you for your reply it is very useful. I am sorry for all the questions, but as you can probably guess I am a bit of a nervous flyer. I was really bad a few years back but with the help of another forum and support group and plenty of air miles I don't find the experience as bad as I used to.

I just like to have as much information in advance as possible, the fear of the unknown seems to give me extra stress.

It sound like TC are good, I just had an awefull flight with My Travel a few years ago and Monach a few year before that which put me off the charter airlines. As long as I can sit next to my partner on the plane I will be happy. So I guess its a case of getting to the airport early? were flying from Gatwick and live in B'ham so were going to stay over the night before in a hotel.

Sorry I have another couple of questions: Can you take your own alcahol and food on board the aircraft. my partner is a Coeliac and will not want to risk the airline food. Whats the in flight entertainment like?

Thanks

Chris

I just like to have as much information in advance as possible, the fear of the unknown seems to give me extra stress.

Thanks

Chris

No probs, regards your question I don't think they will as all the alcohol is free on board - baileys, rose wine, red wine, white wine, gin and tonic, vodka and lemonade :)

As to food I suggest you mail/ring P&O I would of thought it would be like a typical type request similar to vegetarian. I found p&o e-mail support really useful and also sent a few e-mails directly to the ship to ask some other questions as we were sailing on 11/11/08 and wanted to know what services were going to be held.

For your information - we had a chicken pasta salad, bread roll, mandarin cheesecake, chicken casserole (of which i didn't touch).

Which cruise is it that your doing?? We came back from N819 recently were we met up with Steelerannie which was great fun :)

Huw

I am not the best flyer and the flight to Barbados worries me a lot. We could not upgrade as all the seats were taken. I fly to the US a lot but always go sheduled after a nightmare flight on My Travel. The last time I flew I upgraded to business as I had a gig the next day and needed to sleep. So I am really worries now I have been spoilt going back to economy on charter is going to be a nightmare. My biggest complaint is in all that all the P&O brochures there are pitcutres of sheduled aircraft Virgin BA etc... then when you book you find out your on a charter flight.

I hope its ok, as long as they have not cramed an extra row of seats in like mytravel did and the planes are relatively new I will be happy.

Chris

Thompsonfly is now the best. We upgraded but need not have bothered, there was hardly anydifference between them and economy. Everybody we spoke to commented how good the leather economy seats were.

Thanks ever so much for answering all my questions its really put my mind at rest. Free Alcahol on a charter flight :D could be dangerous.

The only reason I have ever upgraded to business class in the past was to sleep on the way back from the US if I was starting a tour the same day.

Economy sound like it will be very plesent, alcahol and leg room, what more could you want :)

Were on the Carribean cruise on Ventrura departing 28th Feb, I cannot remember the cruise number off the top of my head.

Chris

• 1 month later...

Ok I know I am bring back an old topic but I thought it best to keep continuity rather than starting a new topic.

We have just had the flight details through for our cruise. Our agent managed to change our flights to Birmingham which is much better for us as its only 20 minutes away.

I have a few questions:

We are flying Thompson

What time does checkin normally open? (its not on the info sent)

Are your seats determinded before you arrive at the airport or allocated at checkin?

Does anyone know what sort of aircraft its likely to be 767 etc....???

Does anyone know if they can cater for gluten free food on board.

Any other info about Thompson would be really appreiciated.

Chris

Ok I know I am bring back an old topic but I thought it best to keep continuity rather than starting a new topic.

We have just had the flight details through for our cruise. Our agent managed to change our flights to Birmingham which is much better for us as its only 20 minutes away.

I have a few questions:

We are flying Thompson

What time does checkin normally open? (its not on the info sent)

Are your seats determinded before you arrive at the airport or allocated at checkin?

Does anyone know what sort of aircraft its likely to be 767 etc....???

Does anyone know if they can cater for gluten free food on board.

Any other info about Thompson would be really appreiciated.

Chris

OK there have been a few things change with the way Thompson are run recently, which may affect your 'enjoyment' of the flight!

they have just merged with first choice and as so they now use their a/c also... this is where things change slightly!

having worked in the airline industry i know that 'charter' airlines have similar a/c .. but the seating configuration can vary massively!

when we've flown with Thomas cook they like to seat you ( generally done at check in apart from pre-econ!) in the same seats for both the out and in bound legs... works a treat on cruise flights, IMO adds to the trip and the airport becomes a slight 'niggle' as opposed to a major deal on most holidays...

now we went with Thompson in November and had door exit seats etc, but found due to an a/c change somewhere in the previous 48 hrs (thats how these things work! a problem with an a/c on weds can still have repercussions on Fri/sat!) ...so when we got our boarding passes for the return we were in different seats altogther...and not even together at that!!! don't think for one minute that paying pre-econ will prevent this!!! it doesn't!!

now like i say, i know how it works and thought nothing of it... went to sleep thanks to no wife sitting next to me and got home after a great holiday....

ma 'n' pa just got back yesterday and hey presto....exactly the same problem!! a coincidence? maybe.. but from what they told me that the 'excuses were literally word for word!!...all the same it's worth keeping tabs on!! the problem first choice have is that their a/c have been got from various sources and a number have different seating plans...

that aside.... i found the seats more comfortable.. thick leather as opposed to those thinner streamline seats that others go in for...

the drinks service was not a par on Thomas cook (unless you went in pre-econ! but I'd never drink £150 worth of booze on a plane and you'd have to pay ME to read the daily mail!!! and i had more leg room than the captain on the way out, middle door!!hint hint!! and still more than pre-econ on the way back too) ...

I'm going out on a limb here, but IIRC the way to tell from your tickets is that the first choice a/c have the number 8 as the first digit on the flight number....but i may be wrong...someone did tell me pre-November but I've slept since then!!

food wise.........it's all rubbish IMHO... but they all do special requirements so you should be OK there...

so to wrap up....

1. if it's a Thompson flight it'll be a B767

2. the seats you get on the way out, MAY not be the same as on the way back!

3. the first flights out of Manchester were around the 0930 mark (-3hrs for check in!!, but they generally are already open when we get to airport!!), so can see Birmingham being similar!

4. shouldn't have to much problem with diet req's...just ensure they know!!

don't let the a/c spoil your trip.... i was amazed to see people getting mega upset when they changed their seats... like i say .... they kinda did me a favour... i slept like a baby!!!!

enjoy!

Thanks for the answers:

I would rather sit next to my other half on the aircraft which is why I asked about seats being allocated at the airport. I have to work until about 2am the night before our flight, so if it makes no difference what time we turn up to the airport I am not going to kill myself to get up and be the first in the queue for check in. Our flight is 9.15am

Good news on the dietry requirements, the airline should know about it as its all on the booking forms we have had back from P&O.

Which A/C do first choice operate? I have never been on a 767 before only 777, 747 and 737. and A330. A320.

Whats the IFE like?

Chris

Thanks for the answers:

I would rather sit next to my other half on the aircraft which is why I asked about seats being allocated at the airport. I have to work until about 2am the night before our flight, so if it makes no difference what time we turn up to the airport I am not going to kill myself to get up and be the first in the queue for check in. Our flight is 9.15am

Good news on the dietry requirements, the airline should know about it as its all on the booking forms we have had back from P&O.

Which A/C do first choice operate? I have never been on a 767 before only 777, 747 and 737. and A330. A320.

Whats the IFE like?

Chris

Thanks for the answers:

i did exactly the same 2 years ago.... we only live 15 mins from the airport so it's never too much of a hassle really checking in etc... i think if you turned up at 6am i don't think you'd be on your own!!!

they use B767-300 series... seating is 2 - 3 - 2 i can even tell you some good row numbers if you want! PM me!

Whats the IFE like?

excellent!!! games/films/tv progs etc several of each and if i remember correctly they are different on each leg... i like the films as i tend to watch stuff i wouldn't buy...ie indiana jones!! from what i remember thomascook didn't have the games that the 1st choice a/c have... think free pc stuff like 'zuma' etc and you're on the right track...a nice touch is you can play other people on the a/c.. they had battleships included in that...

Archived