Need your advice on Dry Pak camera case

YoPhilly

I posted this in the Photo Discussion board, but figured you are the experts in underwater photography, so I may get more results here....

I usually buy disposable underwater cameras to use while snorkeling, but the quality is always grainy and dull. I'm not ready to invest in serious underwater camera gear, so I thought I'd try this Dry Pak case over my regular digital camera:

http://www.ebags.com/dry_pak/camera_case/product_detail/index.cfm?modelid=80267

Has anyone had any experience with these bags? Or a similar brand? Can I trust that the bag will not leak and ruin my camera?

They work great in shallow water, as the water pressure would probably create a leak at depths. Make sure you rinse the salt water off after every use. Sand and even the salt crystals could create a leak. Also, if you have some o'ring grease or something similar, be sure to lubricate any seals to assure NO LEAKS.

OH and not that you need a professional tip on taking pictures, but try not to point the camera down when taking a picture. Keep the shots close to level (horizon) or slightly upward to collect more light. And don't chase the fish, tails are nice but most people want to see the face of the fish. Get close to your subject... Happy Shooting!

Take care, DEAN (an old professionals UW photographer)

They work great in shallow water, as the water pressure would probably create a leak at depths. Make sure you rinse the salt water off after every use. Sand and even the salt crystals could create a leak. Also, if you have some o'ring grease or something similar, be sure to lubricate any seals to assure NO LEAKS.

OH and not that you need a professional tip on taking pictures, but try not to point the camera down when taking a picture. Keep the shots close to level (horizon) or slightly upward to collect more light. And don't chase the fish, tails are nice but most people want to see the face of the fish. Get close to your subject... Happy Shooting!

Take care, DEAN (an old professionals UW photographer)

Dean, what is o'ring grease? Something like Vaseline?

Thanks for the tip about keep the camera level - makes sense but may be difficult since the fish are always below me!

I ordered over the Internet a dry bag for my digital camera for UW photography. It worked until my battery went dead and I opened it up to change the battery. I'm nearsighted and didn't get the bag sealed properly and it filled with water and ruined my camera. i was out the cost of the camera, but was able to return the bag (which was nothing compared to the cost of the camera)!

I didn't like my Dry Pak case. With our particular camera, the power buttons were on the top, and this made it very difficult to turn the camera on and off through the crease of the pouch. I took it into the water, used it for 5 minutes ans chucked it on the beach. Didn't work for us.

I didn't like my Dry Pak case. With our particular camera, the power buttons were on the top, and this made it very difficult to turn the camera on and off through the crease of the pouch. I took it into the water, used it for 5 minutes ans chucked it on the beach. Didn't work for us.

My husband felt the same way with the one he bought for our Western Carib. cruise last winter. Said it was too clumsy....pitched it!

Dean, what is o'ring grease? Something like Vaseline?

Thanks for the tip about keep the camera level - makes sense but may be difficult since the fish are always below me!

O ring grease is a specific kind of grease used to lubricate seals used in underwater camera enclosures, and other similar things. You can buy it pretty much anywhere that sells underwater camera supplies (it's not vaseline).

I used an underwater enclosure for my camera similar to the dry pak for years (my wife called it my "expensive underwater baggie"). I found that as long as you could get to your controls (something that doesn't always work as per another poster) it was ok. I dove with mine and found that once I got to around 30ft. it didn't leak but the air compressed so much in the bag that I couldn't depress the shutter button (the bag was sealed tight to the camera). Here's a secret I found, when putting in my camera I would seal most of it except for a small openning, then I would blow into it to fully expand the bag, then finish the seal. It was awkward on the surface but extended my diving depth by about 10ft.

Also I had to put in silica dessicant packets to keep the inside from fogging up due to the heat of the camera operation and the coldness of the water. But it generally worked for shallow water dives and snorkeling.

Compared to disposables, and the fact that my digital camera took 200 pictures on a set of batteries, it was great. Compared to the hard case enclosure with all the buttons available for my camera now, it sucked. If you go with the "expensive underwater baggie" remember that it's a means to an end (getting a good enclosure) and if that's your goal it may work for you for awhile.

Randall

Do you squeeze all the air that you can out first with these bags?

No you want air in the bag for a couple reasons. If you should spring a leak it's easier to spot since the air will bubble out the leak. If you compress out all the air the bag may compress too tightly to enable you to operate the controls (like the shutter). The air makes the camera slightly positively bouyant so if you should loose your grip the camera won't be headed to the bottom. If there is a leak you can keep the leak towards the bottom and the air will inhibit the camera from getting wet. I'm sure there's others but this is what came to mind.

Randall

Archived