Rust

GrimWheel

She went to war for us. quote]

There will be no meeting of minds on the subject of this damn boat I'm quite sure. And everyone will think what everyone will think. But the above quoted statement is patently ludicrous.

'She' did not 'Go To War' for us.

Notwithstanding the frequent use of the feminine pronoun, a nautical custom worked to death on this subject, IT IS NOT AN ANIMATE BEING! IT DID NOT HAVE FREE CHOICE. IT IS AN OBJECT. I do not know for an absolute fact, no doubt some trainspotter will tell me, but I would imagine that IT was chartered to serve as a troop transport. Bought and paid for!

Gari

Gari, Do you remember your sentiment in the poem "Goodbye". Where did that all go anyway?

"All credit to the Danes for saving the Rotterdam."

I thought it was only the Americans mixing up their Europeans and European Countries but I see the poster is from the UK.

The SS Rotterdam is currently in the city that built and named her, Rotterdam. In the Province Zuid-Holland (Amsterdam is in Noord-Holland), part of The Netherlands. The Kingdom of the Netherlands to be exact, populated by Dutch (not Danes) who speak the Dutch language.

I know we are usually reffered to as Holland but technically that is not correct, much like using England for The United kingdom.

To add to the confusion, Amsterdam is the official capital but the seat of government and the Queen reside in Den Haag (= 's Gravenhage = The Hague)

Back to the SS Rotterdam. She has been saved and towed back to the city of Rotterdam by a housing corporation (?) who estimated the total cost of putting here into service as a conference centre, museum, hotel... at 6 million euro but is now facing rising costs to a 100 million! In part due to all the asbestos that has to be removed. This got the Minister of Public Housing in to much trouble in parliament last week.

We'll have to see how many of the plans put forward will be realized and how much of the old liner willl be retained.

"All credit to the Danes for saving the Rotterdam."

I thought it was only the Americans mixing up their Europeans and European Countries but I see the poster is from the UK.

The SS Rotterdam is currently in the city that built and named her, Rotterdam. In the Province Zuid-Holland (Amsterdam is in Noord-Holland), part of The Netherlands. The Kingdom of the Netherlands to be exact, populated by Dutch (not Danes) who speak the Dutch language.

I know we are usually reffered to as Holland but technically that is not correct, much like using England for The United kingdom.

To add to the confusion, Amsterdam is the official capital but the seat of government and the Queen reside in Den Haag (= 's Gravenhage = The Hague)

Back to the SS Rotterdam. She has been saved and towed back to the city of Rotterdam by a housing corporation (?) who estimated the total cost of putting here into service as a conference centre, museum, hotel... at 6 million euro but is now facing rising costs to a 100 million! In part due to all the asbestos that has to be removed. This got the Minister of Public Housing in to much trouble in parliament last week.

We'll have to see how many of the plans put forward will be realized and how much of the old liner willl be retained.

Oh dear, really I'm very sorry I should know better (and do really, slip of the brain so to speak). I do know where Rotterdam is honestly. And thanks for the update. As for the asbestos I'll try and remember not to inhale. One could say the same about Amsterdam.

She went to war for us. quote]

There will be no meeting of minds on the subject of this damn boat I'm quite sure. And everyone will think what everyone will think. But the above quoted statement is patently ludicrous.

'She' did not 'Go To War' for us.

Notwithstanding the frequent use of the feminine pronoun, a nautical custom worked to death on this subject, IT IS NOT AN ANIMATE BEING! IT DID NOT HAVE FREE CHOICE. IT IS AN OBJECT. I do not know for an absolute fact, no doubt some trainspotter will tell me, but I would imagine that IT was chartered to serve as a troop transport. Bought and paid for!

Gari

She DID go to war for us. Just like the QM and QE which are said to have shortened WW2 by 6 months by volunteering their services as Troopers.

An unsentimental Yorkshire man I see. Us Southern Jessies have hearts you know. And mine will mourn the passing of a great and gracious lady on 20th November.

I do see your point. The "last voyage" etc stuff is a bit mawkish and parochial, personal only to those that have travelled on her and can no longer. But I think there is a wider perspective to be had. There are just three ships of her kind left anywhere in the world. Ships of historical merit. The Rotterdam, the United States, and the Queen Mary. Possibly the US is beyond saving, she's been rusting for years and I think her inside is gutted, not sure. All credit to the Danes for saving the Rotterdam. The QM is in the wrong place of course, a location with no transatlantic liner resonance. She should be in New York. It's possible present day people do not appreciate the need for preservation. Consider the Great Britain. How fantastic she is still with us, against all odds - Beached unloved on a distant shore to rot.

QE2 is a Ship Of State. She personifies Great Britain. She went to war for us. She carries a Monarch's name (yes, I know, another ship's name), the world's most famous ship. A surviving link to the great liners. If she were a hotel, interiors like the Queen's Room would probably have a preservation order slapped on them by now. What is bothersome is that we seem to have so little regard for our own national heritage when it comes to ships. She deserves retirement and preservation in the UK, not for her (she is, after all, just a big piece of steel), but for the present and future people of the UK, for the sake of national pride. It is the offense against this that really rankles when one reads of her future defilement in Dubai. And what a place for her to go. I hope she sinks on the way (without loss of life).

Except for the sinking - though I do get your meaning! - I have to agree with everything you've said. Quite right, well said.

AT last, amid all the sentimental sobbing, the voice of reason. Thankyou pepperrn.

The QE2 will cease to be in a couple of weeks. No matter how much the Emeratis preserve or restore or what they choose to call their new hotel it will not be, it cannot be the QE2. The QE2 is (nearly said 'was' then) an ocean going vessel, not an hotel. The boat is gone folks, gone, gone, gone. Get over it. We've all had good times. We've been the ones lucky enough to have been able to afford to travel on it. All this breast-beating is pure unadulterated, self-indulgent, mawkish sentimentality. |It's a kind of 'whose best' about who is the most upset. All this , final this and final that, is getting boring and repetetive.

QE2 R.I.P. For goodness sake.

Gari

I am amazed that, despite our differing views on some subjects, I find myself agreeing with every word you posted Gari. Thank you for your comments, far better expressed than my attempt.

I am amazed that, despite our differing views on some subjects, I find myself agreeing with every word you posted Gari. Thank you for your comments, far better expressed than my attempt.

Oh my lord! What have I done? That's two people who agree with me. There goes my reputation.

icon7.gif

Gari

Are you saying that my peerless prose and incisive, razor-sharp wit, resembles a little guy sitting on a toadstool fishing in a garden pond?

J

Oh do you have one too? What colour is your toadstool? Mine's red with white spots but the nice doctor said... Well we won't go into that just now.

G.

Anyone up for starting a rescue the QE2 Campaign?

No not really, I'll wait for the Ogres to tire of the pretty princess and sell her for a quid to Richard Branson.

Dont care what they've done to her inside or out, they can paint her with blue and purple spots with yellow stripes, even rename her 'Sponge Bob Squarepants II' and cut out the middle and install a bendy bit so she can go round corners, it wont change the aura around the physical presence of an ocean liner. Look at all the money and resources spent on trying to save the (useless but cute)Panda from extinction, why not the last (I think) Ocean Liner.

Funnily enough I wasnt as sad as I thought I would be on 11/11, I was quite happy and pleased at the sending off.... watching it on the web and the tv news having both sounds on and switching the sound between the two. :rolleyes:

I feel really optimistic about it all actually.

Archived