Lamanai-How Much Walking

Bfson

We are signed up for a shore excursion to Lamanai off of Regent's Voyage in early December. I've read everything I can find on CC but can't find an answer to my query.

My wife is having problems with her ankle and knee. Perhaps one of you who has taken this trip can help us. How much walking is there in this trip? Are there many stairs?

Thanks in advance

here's a website with great information on lamanai

http://www.belizeexplorer.com/cgi-local/explorer.cgi?db=explorer&uid=default&Category=Mayan+Sites&view_records=1&nh=6&mh=1

the thing with lamanai...it's not a smooth path...it's muddy, you have to step roots, rocks, etc. the only steps are a few on the path and a few going up to one of the sites. it's about a mile to mile 1/2 around the site.

make sure to wear good walking shoes...those that do it in sandals have problems. i wore shoes with non-skid sole, helped with walking over and around wet stones.

2014331613_Jewellwithourtour.jpg.0f4841ba60a9f5b8fb2a90d7808239fa.jpg

1105472169_beautifulday.jpg.cebf669327b4616d76dd46e1c68a2c7e.jpg

1796849135_UptotheMaskTemple.jpg.0f636efb477d6b5a0e12cf44a0656c3b.jpg

Although the weather was much nicer this time (a beautiful 83 degrees in March '08 vs. 104 degrees actual temperature in April '07), we did a considerable amount of walking at Lamanai. It is a guided tour and it is paced. However, you don't climb anything you don't want to.

There are some areas that are pretty sloped throughout the area but the trip is broken up into segments. The first leg of the trip is an hour via bus, then another 30 mins or so by boat, then you have a sit down lunch buffet (very good BTW). Afterwards you may walk for 1 1/2 - 2 hours, stopping intermittenly to hear stories about the sites from the tour guide. It truly is a beautiful place and there is a family of black monkeys in the trees near the buffet house.

After the tour, you are taken back to the boat, where you later board the bus back to the ship. One thing I do recommend is booking this tour through the cruise line since it is an 8-hour tour. We cut it very close but did not have to worry as much since we were on a ship-sponsored tour.

2920465630101210541S200x200Q85.jpg 2385441170101210541S200x200Q85.jpg 2830381260101210541S200x200Q85.jpg 2680006500101210541S200x200Q85.jpg 2293965360101210541S200x200Q85.jpg 2076469750101210541S200x200Q85.jpg

Lamanai is worth doing just for the river tour. At the ruins walking is not that bad unless you do the last temple after the one you can climb. Its mainly to see a large head which is alright but for some the walk there wouln't be worth it. Knowing the path to the last temple I would do it again but my wife wouldn't. When they leave to go to the last temple you can stay and look at the other temples and a museum. Those who go down the path will come back the same way to where you stay.

you must have gone the other way..

we did the "mask" temple, 1st...then the one you can climb, then the jaguar temple. the hardest walk was the 1st part, then got easier.

you get breaks, just no where to really sit down and rest, between sites.

The point is they will come back the same way. So you can either wait there are look around some. The rest of the site that is tourist accessible is easily navigated. This is a large site with only a small section cleared for tourists.

We did this tour in January and though they kept trying to sell you insecticides the only insects we saw were on the bus. Would recommend you take some insecticide wipes just in case.

This was a great tour would do it again.

Archived