Is Belize Safe?

cds62

If you are not interested in shore excursions or staying at the Cruise Port

complex, go to the Radisson Hotel, which is a couple of blocks east of

the Port. They have a very nice indoor restaurant, a poolside Bar & Grill,

and also a bar on their outside deck. It is located in a safe area.

We were in Belize about three weeks ago and had time to wander around the area near the port. I didn't feel unsafe or threatened anymore than I would in Seattle.

Although.............and I only bring this up to give people fair warning! Be prepared to be offered marijuana! It was the only port this happened in and within 15 minutes, my boyfriend had 5 offers for pot and 1 offer for a woman. I will say that the locals were polite about it and a simple "No Thank You!" was all it took.

i personally would not venture out of the port area without a guide. Some in our group rented a car and on the way to the caves they came to the police check point and got stopped. Something about because there were 5 in the car (???) They gave the officer $20 and he let them go. The other 5 in our group booked a tour to the caves and we had 2 officers riding the bus with us. I felt much better being with a group rather than trying to do it on our own.

• 1 month later...
Belize is a developing 3rd world country. The area right outside the fenced port area is not a safe area to be wondering off in. We found a wonderful guide at the pier who took us to see his beautiful Belize. He took us to the ruins and told of the great history and how the ruins were only found within the last 15 years (had been covered by jungle). He drove into the jungle to find the howling monkeys for us, and he did! He was very careful to show us the "good" parts of his city/country and we always felt safe with him. Before finding him, we had encountered a policeman who was inside the port area to keep the tourists safe. His recommendation was to use a licensed guide (they wear their badges around their necks). When we encountered Maurice, the policeman said we could not have a better guide. Part of the guides being licensed is that they actually take a test, have background checks, have insurance, etc.

Belize is a beautiful country to visit, but it's not a port to roam around outside the gated area without a guide.

I realize this was awhile ago, but do you remember what you paid for this excursion? TIA

Everyone has a different comfort level.

So just "list to your gut".

We have been to Belize many times on cruises. The last time was in May. Hubby and oldest son did the cave tubing with Yhony and when they get back, I had an hour to walk around on my own.

I did walk outside the "village"....across the street to Iguana Rama on my own. I did not feel uncomfortable. But I did not venture much past that. I chatted with a family (the Dad looked to be about 50 .... a good size guy in good shape) and they had walked about 3 blocks on their own before getting that "feeling" that perhaps this was not the best course of action.

If you don't want to do a ship excursion but want to see Belize...there are several tour operators inside the village that will be cheaper than a ship excursion. Gilbert Young (Gilley) is one of them. He has a kiosk outside a restaurant called the Wet Lizard.

Have a great day in Belize.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived