SS Rotterdam

GrimWheel

Has anyone visited her yet ? Its hard to tell from the two websites I've found which are connected to the restoration if she's fully open to visitors or not.

Anybody know ?

We'll be planning a trip to see her when she's fully open.

...At least the Dutch care about their ships...:mad:

The last I heard there was still money problems and there was no firm date for her to be open to the public.

I wish QE2 had been preserved in this way, although time will tell if it is financially viable for the Rotterdam people!

Today Dutch tv showed a documentary about the restoration of the SS Rotterdam. Although in Dutch it includes also some historic footage in English.

Hope you all enjoy.

BAS.

http://player.omroep.nl/?aflID=8306344

Thanks!!

This is a really a very nice program. And it gives you an impression what's in store for the QE2. (Mind you, inside she'll be mostly gutted)

Even though it's in Dutch it shows what kind of gigantic task it is. It also emphasis a lot on the preserved art on board. Quite a difference with the corporate plastic Disney look we get nowadays. Artists were given a a complete free hand to design the ship.

Yes there were some financial troubles. The budget of 6 million Euros has been only slightly exceeded to 200 million Euros. And as the ship is owned by a public building corperation the responsible minister had to take responsibility in the Dutch parlaiment last week. This is one of the things which let to her resignation on Thursday......

I last sailed on the Rotterdam as the Rembrandt and really look forward to the opportunity to see her again. The hotel website appears to suggest that availability (for accommodation) will begin in May 2009 but I hope someone will tell us if it is possible to visit her now or not.

http://www.hoteliers.com/rotterdam/cruise-hotel-rotterdam/?osadcampaign=1

Trevor

Archived