Question for Cruisers with Motion-Sickness

cathalane

I'm bringing my 1 year old daughter with us, what do you recommend for her or should I ask the doctor?

Has your baby suffered with motion sickness before? I wouldn't give her anything at all without a doctor's advice first.

I have suffered from mild to bad motion sickness (even some of the crew were sick). I started using ginger capsules 3 days before and 3 days into the cruise and have had no problems.

If you aren't sure if they would work for you, take them and then find a situation that would normally make you motion sick (riding in a car, roller coaster, etc).

They have worked for me and I will continue to use them. Don't have to worry about side effects and they are natural.

I don't think the ginger will help with the vertigo. That's your inner ear causing that. The ginger is great for upset stomach and nausea though. I swear by the patch and wouldn't think of cruising without it. But there are times when even that isn't quite enough. That's when I take the ginger caps. They really help take the edge off that "yucky" feeling. I even use them at home if the ole tummy isn't feeling real good.

Like others have said, I recommend trying out the patch before you actually cruise. That way you will know if you're going to have any adverse side effects.

Started taking Bonine 1 day before trip and I was on the Liberty Novemeber 1, 2008. Sunday night seas were very rough and I felf very sick (Formal night). I went back to cabin took another pill, rested on the bed for an hour then I was good to go again. I was on bonine the whole trip - I just didn't want to chance getting sick for the whole cruise. I loved cruising but will take bonine for next time too. Going outside and getting fresh air always seemed to make me feel better too.:D

I'm bringing my 1 year old daughter with us, what do you recommend for her or should I ask the doctor?

Well, if the choice is between seeking out the guidance of a learned professional licensed by the state to practice medicine, or some anonymous bozo on the Internet, I think the safe choice would be to trust your daughter's care to your doctor.

But then again, I'm just some anonymous bozo on the Internet myself, so why listen to me. :)

Wow, it's amazing to see so many posts on the same subject and so many different remedies. I guess it's true that people's chemistry is so very different. I've only been on two cruises (third one next week!) and the first I took nothing and was queasy every night after dinner (never got 'sick'). The second cruise (20 years later), I did the patch and had no side effects and no sea-sickness. I got the patch again for my upcoming cruise but I think I'll try the ginger ale also. Would like to get "off" meds if I can. Don't like mixing things with my alcohol.

As for your 1yr old daughter, I agree that only a medical professional should be listened to.

As for adults, I am also a bozo on the internet and knows what works for me. I have tried bonine and dramamine and didn't like the effects. My motion sickness wasn't bad enough for a patch. I saw the ginger suggestion on CC and thought I would try it. It has worked for me for three cruises now.

The ginger in ginger ale depends on the manufacturer. I believe that Schwepps ginger ale does have ginger. They have it on the ship. I used that when I started feeling bad before I tried the ginger caps.

The only hope for the after cruise earth moving feeling is to immediately take another cruise and it won't matter.....:D

Archived