Civitavecchia to FCO

What is the earliest we could safely schedule a return flight to the US? The HAL ship is scheduled to dock at 7 a.m. and we plan to arrange with a car service for transport -- maybe RomeinLimo. We are looking at a flight that departs FCO at 12:45 p.m. Is this doable?

If anyone knows the going rate for the transport that would also be greatly appreciated. We're not looking at using the train this time. We have traveled all over Europe by train in previous days -- this time it will be by car.

Thanks.

Sue

Ah mountainmare, whilst you're there, can you remember what time you were off the ship when you took your Costa cruise? Also, have you any idea what time the transfer buses actually started to FCO. It says 10 am in the brochure, but....

SueSails, I'm actually tossing up between a ship's transfer or hiring a driver when I'm in the same situation next year. However, when in Venice I used Airports Shuttle and they were excellent. Reasonably priced too. I'm considering using them again for Rome.

http://rome.airports-shuttle.com/

sparky--to answer your question and give Sue a heads up.

On our Costa cruise we were early in just about every port, we also had a late docking time for the return to Civitavecchia (I guess Egypt is a long sail). The day we approached Civitavecchia we had very rough seas---so rough that for the first time in all our cruises the pilot boat could not get the pilot on, we saw the boat try later to go out to another ship and they didn't even get to the ship. We were to dock at 9 and it was about 10 before I saw people getting off.

Costa is different because people get on and off at different ports, so you were allowed to enjoy the ship as long as you wanted, most passengers were getting off in Savona. the ship cleared very quickly at all ports. If I remember the Costa transfer to FCO was very reasonable--actually almost cheap. HAL will be more expensive, for our upcoming cruise it is $99pp so getting private transportation makes more sense.

Sue--if your cruise is after April 3 I will be back with a report--we are on the Oosterdam and getting off in Civitavecchia.

Thanks Mountainmare. :)

Maybe the Costa transfer will work for us after all. It is cheaper..20 euros I believe, but there are 4 of us..even so, $99 is pretty steep.:eek:

I would love to try HAL. Maybe when we can escape without paying for the 'kids' we can afford to give it a whirl. Enjoy your cruise. :)

We disembarked Princess and took the ship shuttle to the airport in May. She pulled into port at 4 am, we had to be in the designated meeting area at 6ish, , we were off the ship and at the airport by 7:30. Our flight was 11:30, we had lots of time but there are several hoops to go through at the Rome airport including a bus transport to another terminal.

Next year we are doing the Noordam, docking at 7 am, we have a 12:30 flight and we will probably take the ship shuttle. The ship shuttles are definitely expensive but unless you have a sizable group, hiring a private company might not save you much money.

We normally take taxicabs to the airport but did not want to take chances in Europe.

Archived