Ventura Christmas & NY Caribbean

ecallaghan

I am an Adv Padi diver and want to get some more dives in and P&O offer dives for this 2 week cruise but I wondered what people thought of doing it through the boat or doing it off ones own back and finding dive centres in each place either beforehand or when we dock...What experiences have people had?

Thanks!

Edward

I am an Adv Padi diver and want to get some more dives in and P&O offer dives for this 2 week cruise but I wondered what people thought of doing it through the boat or doing it off ones own back and finding dive centres in each place either beforehand or when we dock...What experiences have people had?

Thanks!

Edward

Check out BruceR's comment in the message below yours, "SCUBA in Belize, Costa Maya, Cozumel". I think the prevailing theme in this board is to book off-ship where possible but don't discount the ship excurisons if you're concerned about timing, convienence and advanced scheduling (you should always book in advance if going off-ship, the dive centers are generally very small and fill up quickly). Bruce's pros/cons are right on.

Randall

Check out BruceR's comment in the message below yours, "SCUBA in Belize, Costa Maya, Cozumel". I think the prevailing theme in this board is to book off-ship where possible but don't discount the ship excurisons if you're concerned about timing, convienence and advanced scheduling (you should always book in advance if going off-ship, the dive centers are generally very small and fill up quickly). Bruce's pros/cons are right on.

Randall

thanks Randall

I should have checked more. Apologies from a newbie!! I shall read his post now.

thanks Randall

I should have checked more. Apologies from a newbie!! I shall read his post now.

Apologies not accepted in this board, simply because they're not needed. :p Just keeping the word count down. If you have further questions feel free to ask away (newbie questions or not)! :)

Randall

Randall

Thanks Randall :D

ecallaghan, if you want recommendations for dive operators for you to check out, I'm sure people will be happy to post their opinion. Just give us a list of the islands you'll be visiting because not everyone knows your cruise itinerary.

That would be great - super suggestion Bruce.

The itinerary is as follows

Grand Turk

Tortola, B.v.i.

St. Kitts

St. Lucia

St. Maarten

Dominica, Dominican Republic

St. Vincent

Barbados

Hi,

Definitely do "Blue water divers" in Grand Turk. Wall diving at it's best with a really small and personal dive center.

St. Maarten, might do a surface interval, not a lot of good diving and the diving they have is open water.

Tortola is good diving but I've only snorkeled there (non-diving wife likes the reefs on T. so I have to give in and snorkel there so I can dive other islands).

Barbados, I have mixed feelings about. The reefs have been over-fished but lots of turtles. I use West Side Scuba Centre but I've heard mixed reviews about them recently.

Rest, no opinion, either been too long since I dove them or haven't been there yet, though St. Lucia is supposed to be great (working on the DW to book something in Jan/Feb that visits St. L so I can dive it). Don't tell her that though. :)

Randall

That would be great - super suggestion Bruce.

The itinerary is as follows

Grand Turk

Tortola, B.v.i.

St. Kitts

St. Lucia

St. Maarten

Dominica, Dominican Republic

St. Vincent

Barbados

Great itinerary! We're trying new operators in St. Kitts and St. Lucia next month if you can wait for reports. We've had good luck at St. Maarten with Scuba Fun and will dive with them again. To wet your appetite while you wait there are pics and video at http://www.cruisedivers.blogspot.com

Hi,

Definitely do "Blue water divers" in Grand Turk. Wall diving at it's best with a really small and personal dive center.

I agree with this recommendation.

St. Maarten, might do a surface interval, not a lot of good diving and the diving they have is open water.
I agree with this recommendation as well. If ocean conditions are such that there are very small swells, then maybe it would be OK to dive there. Trying to get back into the boat with 6 ft swells is pretty tricky.

Tortola is good diving but I've only snorkeled there (non-diving wife likes the reefs on T. so I have to give in and snorkel there so I can dive other islands).
The signature dive here is the Wreck of the Rhone. Someday I'll get to dive it. I'd definitely want to NOT use the ship's excursion for that dive if I could help it.

Thats a great start! Thanks guys...I was planning on taking my fins, mask and suit and renting the rest...any ideas on costings roughly? That why I can try and compare the prices eg Grand Turk for 8:30 to 12:30pm (2 tank dive) is £65 - no idea if this is good vfm...

Thanks for the help everyone! :D

The great guys at aquaventure have said they can take me out to the Rhone on a 2 tank dive inc gear for $120...this should be cheaper than the boat excursion and only 4 to a boat....Here's hoping I can get some more advice for other islands like the ones you have suggested. Thanks again!!

Archived