Can I be a pain? - too long signatures

eventfarm

Should people reduce the size of their signatures to less than 6"?  

326 members have voted

1. 1. Should people reduce the size of their signatures to less than 6"?

• Yes, it makes reading the thread easier.
    • Yes, I have sigs turned off because of this and I'd like to turn them back on
    • No, to each his own.
    • I don't care - I have sigs turned off and don't plan on turning them back on.

I tried to find a "questions about the forum" forum, but couldn't. Maybe one of the hosts will notice this and pop in with an answer/opinion.

Is there an unofficial limit on the size of the signatures? Some of them are getting longer and longer. And then I saw this one:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=17048606&postcount=7

I don't know this guy, and I'm sure he's awesome.... but he has several countdowns that already sailed months ago and the size 35 font is a bit over the top. Particularly when one person with a longer signature posts 3-4 times on a thread it gets really tiresome.

I think I read somewhere that you can turn off the recieving of signatures. However, I don't want to do that as I am interested in seeing who's going where or which ships they've been on.

Most boards I've been on have either an official limit or an unofficial one that is enforced by the community ("hey Susie, I note that you're new here, could you reduce your sig so that your posts are easier to scroll through? thanks!")

I just think that there needs to be some limit (say, 6" at most)?

Yes, there is SUPPOSED to be a "limit", but we police ourselves... Laura has to get on here every so often and remind people to do signature housecleaning, but many don't pay attention... I enjoy the signatures, but some are just entirely too obnoxious!!! LOL!

OK since I am the guy being talked about I suppose I should answer for myself. I have no problems with long signatures and I like to show off where I have been and where I am going and I LOVE to read other peoples signatures that have the same things in them. And as far as the rest, it is just showing the cruising world what I am a part of. Is it REALLY that big of an issue to have to scroll down just a bit farther to read the next post? By the way, since I cannot add anything more to mine (I have tried) I am guessing that I am at max capacity and since a CC host helped me design and put everything together I will take for granted that it is legal. I am sorry and I apologize if my signature offends anyone.

I like checking out peoples' signatures, to a certain extent. There are those that go way over the top - and now that I know I can turn off the junk I will. Sadly a few people are ruining everyone elses good intentions.

i have to agree... we should be able to police ourselves, and the people that run this board have asked MANY times for everyone to do signature housecleaning and clean them up, make them smaller, etc. We shouldn't have to turn off signatures just because of a few people... there are ways to tone it down, but countdown clocks for cruises that have been over or years is a bit much... HUGE fonts, large pictures, etc... these are the things I'm sure they were talking about when they talk about housecleaning to optimize the boards... believe me, I cleaned mine up when it was requested... I didn't need anyone to tell me directly.

i have to agree... we should be able to police ourselves, and the people that run this board have asked MANY times for everyone to do signature housecleaning and clean them up, make them smaller, etc. We shouldn't have to turn off signatures just because of a few people... there are ways to tone it down, but countdown clocks for cruises that have been over or years is a bit much... HUGE fonts, large pictures, etc... these are the things I'm sure they were talking about when they talk about housecleaning to optimize the boards... believe me, I cleaned mine up when it was requested... I didn't need anyone to tell me directly.

Your e-genitals are big enough without needing a massive signature to feel self-validated? :p

Are the signatures part of the fun? It amazes me what 'bothers' some people but to each his own is it really that hard to press the Page Down Key?... Like another poster stated.. turn off signatures...:rolleyes:

They can be fun, I don't want to turn them off because I like looking at most of them.... but it bothers the people that run CC, or they wouldn't request it often... and then, I would love to read some threads, but I give up... especially when you get about 10 people that have half page signatures all posting, it becomes all signature, LOL...

When I added my new banner I had to take my other one off because I was over what was allowed.... I had my name and one banner like you see now.... How is it possible to do more? Or is it because I'm a "newbie" still?

A host has to help go above the legal limit... I know that Randy has been able to add something, but he will also take old things out and clean them up a bit, and won't add anything if it is already too long...

You can turn off signatures......go to User CP and then Edit Options and you can turn them off so that you don't see any signatures.

I am one that has a long signature but I try to police it as much as posible.

Just as Sue has said, you can turn off the signatures and this will help your computer load allot faster. I usually do this when I'm using the computer at work. It's so easy todo and if you want to view the sigs you can always turn them back on.

Dave

Yes, there is SUPPOSED to be a "limit", but we police ourselves... Laura has to get on here every so often and remind people to do signature housecleaning, but many don't pay attention... I enjoy the signatures, but some are just entirely too obnoxious!!! LOL!

Yep, I had to shorten mine horizontally.

Fred

OK since I am the guy being talked about I suppose I should answer for myself. I have no problems with long signatures and I like to show off where I have been and where I am going and I LOVE to read other peoples signatures that have the same things in them. And as far as the rest, it is just showing the cruising world what I am a part of. Is it REALLY that big of an issue to have to scroll down just a bit farther to read the next post? By the way, since I cannot add anything more to mine (I have tried) I am guessing that I am at max capacity and since a CC host helped me design and put everything together I will take for granted that it is legal. I am sorry and I apologize if my signature offends anyone.

I love your sig! I love seeing where people have gone and where they are going to! And yours actually make me wish that I could go "Cruizin' with the Crazies"...LOL!

I love your sig! I love seeing where people have gone and where they are going to! And yours actually make me wish that I could go "Cruizin' with the Crazies"...LOL!

We wish you could go also but unfortunately that cruise is now sold out. The crazies will be sailing again though so be sure you get in when you can.

when the signatures were long a few years ago and we were made to shorten them.

Dave, being new to the boards you might not remeber those days, but would you be able to just make the font a little smaller?? and maybe make your past cruises like I did mine.

I'm not angry or mad but years ago I had to change mine.

NOW LETS GO HAVE A DRINK!!!!!!!!!!!

when the signatures were long a few years ago and we were made to shorten them.

Dave, being new to the boards you might not remeber those days, but would you be able to just make the font a little smaller?? and maybe make your past cruises like I did mine.

I'm not angry or mad but years ago I had to change mine.

NOW LETS GO HAVE A DRINK!!!!!!!!!!!

Yup, I had to shorten mine too... as did most in our group... mine was about half that size :o

Drink sounds great!!!! :D

I just have them turned off. IMNOHO, 1 countdown ticker is almost too much for a sig. I just don't like them. Heck don't even remember what's in my own :-)

Thing that totally bugs me is when people will post something like "The answer to what you asked is in my signature." OHHhhh yea. Good. Not going to see it then! LOL.

I'm with the OP... too long sigs in here! It becomes noise polution. At least disboards has rules that limit them. If it were limited to 3 lines of text and one image (which would be a ticker countdown) I'd turn them back on. You can put a LOT of past cruises in 3 lines of text!!

Archived