10-28 Star Sailing

Jessica_2020

Thought I would try to put a quick review on here! Just back from the Star yesterday! Let me just say, What a beautiful ship the Star is!

Overall the cruise was wonderful, we had a great time!

The ports were very nice. We heard a lot of bad things about Acapulco but we found it to be alright! We took a cab around the city for 5 1/2 hours and it cost us $100 US dollars...so not too bad! We went and saw the Cliff Divers, that is definitely a must see in Acapulco! We also went and ate at Senor Frogs which was pretty tasty! There Margaritas were the size of fish bowls! :) We also went to the flea market and got some pretty good deals!

Zihuatanejo we went to Playa La Ropa beach and it was BEAUTIFUL!!! The water was as warm as bath water and a beatiful blue-green! We rented a wave runner for 1/2 hour for $35 and we also went parasailing which was nice! We had a great time there! We also found some nice things at there little shops in town!

Peurto VAllarta, I wasn't too impressed with, although we didn't see the town (because we went on an excursion to Los Caletas Hideaway) It just didn't seem as great as I have heard! The beaches were really rocky so not too great for swimming, IMO anyways...:) It was an hour to Las Caletas and it was nice. I wouldn't book this excursion for a beach day though...I would go with a beach day in Zihuatenjo or Cabo....they have very nice beaches in those ports :) Anyways, about Las Caletas...they had a nice buffet lunch and it was open bar the entire time...so that was nice! Also, there was the option to Snorkel, Kayak, and go on a nature walk, and swim...overall it was ok, but I wish we would have done our own thing in that port! That was the only excursion we ended up doing...we had more fun doing our own thing and found it very manageable in each port! :)

Cabo San Lucas was by FAR the best port on the itinerary!!!! It was gorgeous! The water was beautiful, the beaches were wonderful, shopping we found good deals, and the people were nice! 'nuff said! :) I would love to go back there someday and stay for a week or so...it was just great! :) We rented wave runners and had a beach day and did some shopping!!!

Now about the ship! WOW!!!

The food was good! If you have the chance, eat at Cagneys, it was wonderful! We also ate at Ginza and Soho which were good as well! We ate in Versaille (good food), Aqua (good food), Ginza (good food), Cagneys (GREAT food), Soho (pretty good) I had the lobster yum :), Endless Summer (Yummy tex mex), Market Cafe' (so-so, just vegas style buffet), Blue Lagoon (so-so, nothing spectacular, but they had good salad and chinese stir fry noodles) they were open 24 hours. We didn't eat in Le Bistro or La Trattoria, didn't have enough time :) I would say overall, the food was pretty good and it was all presented well! There dessert was very good in the main restaurants and specialty restaurants, but nothing to write home about in the buffet or blue lagoon, or pool side buffet...

The comedian was pretty funny, although I must say that I thought the magician Shawn Farquarh (hope I'm spelling it right) was funnier and he was amazing!!! If you have the chance to see his shows, don't miss them it is amazing some of the things that he does!! The Broadway shows were also very good! We saw It's Fame and Cirque Pacific which was a spin off of Cirque Asia and it was wonderful!!! We also saw the Mexican Folkloric show which was pretty good. All of the shows that we saw I thought they were very good!

I thought our stateroom was nice! The bathrooms our pretty nice as well in the inside stateroom, that is what we had! They actually have shower doors rather than curtains and the shower is temperature controlled, also a nice feature! There was plenty of room in the stateroom for clothes and things that you packed! It was very nice!

I would be happy to try and answer any questions anybody has...and hopefully I will get some pictures on here sometime soon!!!!

I would definitely reccomend this cruise to anybody as we had lots of fun!!!! While we were on our cruise we saw 2 or 3 other ships...let me say this, the Star put them all too shame! It was a much nicer looking ship than the others...heheehehe, I was happy to be on the Star! :)

Jessica -

Thanks for taking the time to write about your experiance on the Star. We don't go until March 5th, but I'm counting the days.

I have a couple of questions.

Did you go to any of the formal nights? Did a lot of people dress up?

What type of room did you have?

Was this your first experiance with Free-style cruising? How did you like it compared to eating at the same time with the same people every night?

We are going on the Star 3/5 and the more reviews I read the more I feel I made the wrong choice and should have gone with Carnival.

I didn't think the mattresses were hard, in fact I slept like a baby! :) Maybe it was the rocking of the ship but I think I slept better than I do at home!

We had an inside cabin and I found it cozy! It was small, but it had mirrors everywhere that made it appear larger! There was plenty of room for all of the stuff we brought, lots of hangers, and closet space. The bathroom I thought was nice, the temperature controlled shower was very nice! :)

We didn't go to one of the main restaurants for formal night, but I did see quite a few people dressed up. Me and Chris dressed up but he didn't have a jacket so we ended up eating at Ginza which was very good! :) We had Asian BBQ Duck and it was very tasty! Yummm...making me hungry..*L*

I can't really answer the question about freestyle compared to traditional...mainly because this was our first cruise! But we loved it...we thought it was great being able to sit by yourself or with other people! You had the option...so that was nice! It was also nice that there was no set dining time which worked great for us...we could eat when we wanted!

I would also like to mention that it was not hard to get into the specialty restaurants even if you waited until that night to make a reservation. We usually made reservations that morning but on several different occasions we made them in the evening and always got the time we wanted! I read on here that it was very hard to get into the specialty restaurants which wasn't true at all....at least for us anyways! :)

Archived