Any Diving at Cayo Levantado, Dom. Rep.?

heydn62

We have a stop there in April on MSC. It looks like there are some resorts on the Island that may offer diving, but I can't figure out if there are any options available to the public. I've found some dive shops on the mainland, but it looks iffy, timing wise. I haven't found much info on shuttle (ferry?) service or schedule to get to Samana. Anybody dive from Cayo Levantado?

We'll get to dive in the Caymans and Cozumel on this trip, but I'd love to get in a 3rd day if the diving is decent, available, and not ridiculously priced. Otherwise, we'll just enjoy a beach day; and that's OK too.

I dived Cayo Lavantado one time, but have been there X3. In short, it sucks. The beach is gorgeous, but the area were you can SCUBA is filthy, with trash, plastic bags, bottles, garbage littering the bottom. There is no actual reef, and the sealife consists of starfish, and sea urchins. Even the divemaster I had stated it sucks.:eek: One of the things she mentioned is that the locals fished the area with dynamite, and as an old EOD guy, you could sure tell.;)

Having said that, there is a great Tiki bar that serves drinks in fresh pineapples and coconuts real cheap. :D

Archived