Different San Juan safety questions

KnightsofColumbus

I know there are many threads about safety in San Juan, but I have some different questions.

First what is safer Old San Juan or New San Juan? I assume Old San Juan is fairly safe, but what US city would you compare it to? I live in Cambridge / Boston adn generally feel safe walking around at night, but I'm not sure if I would feel safe walking around in Detroit or Chicago or D.C. at night.

Also, I am told there is a gate sounding Old San Juan and you can walk out of the gate and go to the bay and walk around the city. Is this safe to do at night?

Also, what parts of Old San Juan are the most safe? I will be staying one night at Hotel Milano and one night a Hotel El Convento.

Is there any place that you would say is unsafe during the day?

Also, what should we do at night that is safe? I would prefere things where it is okay to speak English only. However, if there is something we can't miss my wife does speak Fluent spanish.

I've heard the beaches are not safe at night is this true?

We took an excursion into Old San Juan after a cruise on the Crown Princess 2 years ago. We felt safe at all times. Having grown up in suburban Detroit, I felt much safer in Old San Juan. It is an authentic Spanish Colonial city, and we were impressed with how orderly and well-maintained it was. There was no language barrier in the shops. Shopping was great. There were plenty of tourists around, and local people. Many older people were playing dominos in a city park outside the Catholic Cathedral. Since we arrived by bus, we didn't notice any city gates.

Hope this helps.

DavidnSteph

I know there are many threads about safety in San Juan, but I have some different questions.

First what is safer Old San Juan or New San Juan? I assume Old San Juan is fairly safe, but what US city would you compare it to? I live in Cambridge / Boston adn generally feel safe walking around at night, but I'm not sure if I would feel safe walking around in Detroit or Chicago or D.C. at night.

Also, I am told there is a gate sounding Old San Juan and you can walk out of the gate and go to the bay and walk around the city. Is this safe to do at night?

Also, what parts of Old San Juan are the most safe? I will be staying one night at Hotel Milano and one night a Hotel El Convento.

Also, what should we do at night that is safe? I would prefere things where it is okay to speak English only. However, if there is something we can't miss my wife does speak Fluent spanish.

OSJ is safe. Comparability-wise...hard to say as everyone has a different sense of safety. I have never felt unsafe walking around there. But, I always feel a little uneasy somewhere I am unfamiliar with. So how safe you feel will depend on you.

As for new SJ, I can't say, I have not been there at night. The same with beaches. I may stay away from some empty beaches at night, unless I was with a group.

I assume you will not be wandering around in many non-toursit areas. In tourist areas, there should be no problem (of course that assumes you use common street smart sense). In OSJ, you can't easily get to an non-tourist area without realizing it. And there are loads of people walking around and lots of police patrolling to keep it safe. It is a family friendly place, so many locals come in on the weekends to enjoy it too.

Both hotels you are staying in are on great streets, very busy people traffic wise, lots of stores/restaurants etc.

Going through the city gate that leads to the Paseo El Morro and/or Princesa is safe. They are lovely walks. Patrolled by police on motorcycles or walking etc.

In OSJ, English is acceptable everywhere. There are a number of things you can do at night. Shows/Music in OSJ. Great restaurants. Dance clubs. If you feel adventurous, the BioBay is a fantastic night time experience.

http://www.puertoricodaytrips.com/eastwind-vieques-biobay/

The only place I can think of where I would feel unsafe during the day or night would be a public housing project. There is a big drug problem and then of course the drug related crime problem, concentrated in these areas. But unless that is your scene and you seek it out, you should be fine.

OSJ is safe. Comparability-wise...hard to say as everyone has a different sense of safety. I have never felt unsafe walking around there. But, I always feel a little uneasy somewhere I am unfamiliar with. So how safe you feel will depend on you.

As for new SJ, I can't say, I have not been there at night. The same with beaches. I may stay away from some empty beaches at night, unless I was with a group.

I assume you will not be wandering around in many non-toursit areas. In tourist areas, there should be no problem (of course that assumes you use common street smart sense). In OSJ, you can't easily get to an non-tourist area without realizing it. And there are loads of people walking around and lots of police patrolling to keep it safe. It is a family friendly place, so many locals come in on the weekends to enjoy it too.

Both hotels you are staying in are on great streets, very busy people traffic wise, lots of stores/restaurants etc.

Going through the city gate that leads to the Paseo El Morro and/or Princesa is safe. They are lovely walks. Patrolled by police on motorcycles or walking etc.

In OSJ, English is acceptable everywhere. There are a number of things you can do at night. Shows/Music in OSJ. Great restaurants. Dance clubs. If you feel adventurous, the BioBay is a fantastic night time experience.

http://www.puertoricodaytrips.com/eastwind-vieques-biobay/

The only place I can think of where I would feel unsafe during the day or night would be a public housing project. There is a big drug problem and then of course the drug related crime problem, concentrated in these areas. But unless that is your scene and you seek it out, you should be fine.

Thanks for all the info that helps a lot. I doubt we will leave old San Juan except to walk down to the bay or through the gate and walk around a little bit.

Are there public housing projects in Old San Juan?

Do you recommend any restaurants? I would like to eat some place that has local/carribean food as well as mainland American type food. My wife will probably want to try some local spanish food, but generally prefere burgers, steaks, fries, wings and such. Although if there is a nice Italian or Mexican restaurant nearby I wouldn't mind checking that out.

Thanks a lot!

San Juan (the historic city and the rest of the metropolitan area) is as safe as any big city in the world unknown to you, common sense is required.

The wall you are talking about is part of the Fort El Morro which was built over 400 years ago, The historic city is surrounded by this wall which gives the city a magic all of it's own and one of the wonders of the region, (it has nothing to do with modern world security issues, it is not a berlin wall or a security gate at all).

Puerto Rico is a spanish speaking country but those who work in tourism are mostly bilingual so if you go to a restaurant they will understand or find someone who does.

Do you recommend any restaurants? I would like to eat some place that has local/carribean food as well as mainland American type food. My wife will probably want to try some local spanish food, but generally prefere burgers, steaks, fries, wings and such. Although if there is a nice Italian or Mexican restaurant nearby I wouldn't mind checking that out.

Thanks a lot!

The historic district (or "old" san juan) has many many fine restaurants. Puerto Rican cuisine is very well represented in restaurants like El Jibarito or Raices, which serve authentic Puerto Rican dishes, from Mofongo to Tostones y Asopao de Pollo, they serve it all .

There are also some Arab, Spaniard, Mediterranian cuisine, Italian restaurants etc...as well but i strongly suggest, since you will be in Puerto Rico, to try a Puerto Rican restaurant since which better place to eat Puerto Rican cuisine than in Puerto Rico?

Raices restaurant website here www.restauranteraices.com

Restaurants in Old San Juan ...

Caribbean - Parrot Club

Local - El Jiberito (note that local food is not "Spanish" food!)

mainland food - Hard Rock Cafe

Spanish - Botin (note that local food is not "Spanish" food!)

Italian - Al Dente

Mexican - Lupi's

You can find addresses, phone numbers, etc on our web site -- http://www.puertoricodaytrips.com/restaurants/

Hope this helps!

Restaurants in Old San Juan ...

Caribbean - Parrot Club

Local - El Jiberito (note that local food is not "Spanish" food!)

mainland food - Hard Rock Cafe

Spanish - Botin (note that local food is not "Spanish" food!)

Italian - Al Dente

Mexican - Lupi's

You can find addresses, phone numbers, etc on our web site -- http://www.puertoricodaytrips.com/restaurants/

Hope this helps!

Yes thank you for making that distinction, let remind that "Spanish food" is from Spain not from Puerto Rico, or Cuba or any other latin american country. So a Spanish restaurant in the historic district is Casa Botin or Siglo XX which do not specialize in Puerto Rican cuisine since the restaurant is Spanish (Spain, the european country).

Yes thank you for making that distinction, let remind that "Spanish food" is from Spain not from Puerto Rico, or Cuba or any other latin american country. So a Spanish restaurant in the historic district is Casa Botin or Siglo XX which do not specialize in Puerto Rican cuisine since the restaurant is Spanish (Spain, the european country).

What is Puerto Rican cusine, most of what I see is in Spanish, so what kinds of things are considered Puerto Rican cusine? Do they have burgers or steaks or chicken?

Attached are some photos. We ate ham and cheese mallorcas early at Cafeteria Mallorca. A local specialty that should not be incompatible with your desire for more generic American dishes. Also, a photo of the menu at Jibarito. Again, you should be able to eat something interesting, yet not too threatening. Since you can find local specialties at both places, your wife should be happy too. Here is a link to our journal entry of our last day in San Juan. Enjoy!

http://circle-south-america-2008-aboard.blogspot.com/2008/03/day-58-march-1-2008-san-juan-puerto.html

2dd88e9c.jpg.1c3f5011f40759a71689339cd95fb11d.jpg

a0d2a124.jpg.8031858fcc69c49c5ea2d1a4c712d1a6.jpg

What is Puerto Rican cusine, most of what I see is in Spanish, so what kinds of things are considered Puerto Rican cusine? Do they have burgers or steaks or chicken?

Lots of chicken. And pork. Not so much on the burger front.

Steak would be churrasco, which is a marinated skirt steak. Try one. You'll like it!

Puerto Rican food incorporates the staples that grow on Caribbean islands- like plantains and root vegetables with some meat. It is seasoned, not spicy. Usually lots of garlic. It is very tasty. We met lots of people, and I can't recall anyone not liking it.

As Ray said- lots of chicken and pork, not so much beef. The beef is churassco- a super marinated skirt steak. It is really good.

If you see BBQ chicken, it is not like Texas BBQ, it is a seasoned roasted chicken- delicious!

If you are luck enough to find Lechon- it is a spit roasted seasoned whole pig. Delicious! On Sunday, look for it at El Jibarito.

The arroz (white rice) con habechuelas (stewed beans) is delicious too.

Puerto Rican food incorporates the staples that grow on Caribbean islands- like plantains and root vegetables with some meat. It is seasoned, not spicy. Usually lots of garlic. It is very tasty. We met lots of people, and I can't recall anyone not liking it.

As Ray said- lots of chicken and pork, not so much beef. The beef is churassco- a super marinated skirt steak. It is really good.

If you see BBQ chicken, it is not like Texas BBQ, it is a seasoned roasted chicken- delicious!

If you are luck enough to find Lechon- it is a spit roasted seasoned whole pig. Delicious! On Sunday, look for it at El Jibarito.

The arroz (white rice) con habechuelas (stewed beans) is delicious too.

Most of that sounds really good I like seasoned meat. Except for the garlic I don't like garlic at all I hope I can find something without it.

Thanks a lot for your help!

Well it is written in spanish , our language,of course, :D but that does not mean the cuisine is from Spain :D

We use among many othe things: Roasted Pork cooked in our traditional way, Rice and Gandules, plantains (fried) in many ways, pasteles, Asopao de Pollo (which is like a hearty soup with chicken) , small fritters, check this menu which will give you a good idea about our cuisine http://www.hdmdesigns.com/ajili/menu.htm

the seasoning is also unique.

Here is a seving of Pasteles made with Yuca yummy!

180px-Pasteles.jpg

Archived